Author Topic: Walking heel to toe and other vesitbular tricks  (Read 4281 times)

Kaybee

Walking heel to toe and other vesitbular tricks
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
i am 11 weeks post op tomorrow.  i have been going to vestibular therapy for about 6 weeks.  Most exercises I do at home.  I have made significant improvement in that i no longer walk like a zombie but i still struggle with the heel to toe walk even though i practice like 10 times a day.  am i not trying hard enough?  or is it normal that these type of exercises with a narrow base of support are still hard for me at this time?
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: Walking heel to toe and other vesitbular tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:30:13 pm »
I am 16 weeks post op and was recently discharged from vestibular PT. I can do some tandem walking in the light with a lot of effort, not so much in the dark but good enough that I "passed" my "discharge test". I think it's partly just a matter of time and will probably always be hard. Luckily, it's rarely that necessary to do in everyday life. (But no more cartwheels off the balance beam for me! Oh well!) :)
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »
I was able to reply to your question now I was locked out of the computer somehow. I to had difficulty with the heel to toe it does take time but you will get there my family had fun with it also they did worse then I did and I was the one who had brain surgery.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kaybee

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »
Thanks Pat and nickytinic!  I just made my husband do it.  He made it halfway down the strip of tape on the kitchen floor, stumbled, gave up, and blamed it on his sandals. I feel better!
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:11:17 pm »
Kaybee -

the answer to your question is - it's hard to say.

You should ask your doctor or your PT.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mar50

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »
Hi Kaybee -  I am 3 years post-surgery and still practice heel-toe walking when I think of it.  It's amazing, but if I don't do it on a regular basis, maybe 2-3 times a week for a few minutes, I really lose the ability, even after all this time.  It reminds me that it's really re-training, and at least for me, I need to do it on a regular basis.  I would say I was pretty poor at it until about 4 months after my surgery.

Good luck!!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:09 am »
Hi, I just wanted to know how you are doing is it any better ?? So happy your husband had a problem so do not be so hard on yourself it will one day come so easy I am sure of it.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kaybee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:18 pm »
Good point Jan!  I did check with my PT at my appt this week.  He wasn't sure if it was problematic because he doesn't know if I could do it pre-surgery!  And neither do I.  I think I must have been okay at it.  But he thought if I keep at it, I will get it!  So the tape is still on the floor...

Almost Friday!!