Author Topic: Gamma Knife - Question  (Read 13898 times)

KathleenMary

Re: Gamma Knife - Question
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:36 pm »
Nanramone - what was your reaction?  Did the sites where the pins entered sore for any significant length of time?
KathleenMary

nanramone

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:31 am »
KathleenMary - the pin sites in the back were aching and tender for about one week, and then the scabs loosened and fell off at about 10 days. New scabs formed and fell off several days later. One pin site in front swelled slightly and had a small bump, and a new scab formed repeatedly. I put an antibiotic salve and a bandaid on this thing for several days, and wound healed right away.

The back pin sites caused most of the discomfort, but it was not a big deal, and I've forgotten about it. I've had far worse pain from stubbing my toe, if that helps you understand it.  :)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:52:08 pm »
I concurr....the pin sites healed up pretty fast and did not have any complication from the pins during my GK treatment.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

KathleenMary

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »
Did youhave headaches after the GK proedure and i so, how long did they last.  KathlneeMary

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:41 pm »
No headaches...no problems...  Had the treatment on a Friday, went back to work the following Monday...only my boss knew about the proceedure.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

nanramone

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 04:38:40 am »
KathleenMary - I did have a very unusual acute reaction to GK. I stayed in bed all afternoon the day of GK. That evening, I swam with my family in the hotel pool. The following day I felt good, and my daughter and I went shopping. I started to feel some waves of dizziness, but we went out for dinner. That evening, I developed an extremely bad headache, lost all hearing in the AN ear, and literally fell over while walking through the room. I called the hospital and was put on steroids. I flew home the next week, and was too unstable to walk so I was in a wheelchair, which was weird. After taking steroids for one week, all problems resolved.

I recounted this because you asked, but again, I'll say that this was a very rare event. Most people do not have this type of reaction, and I have no idea why I did. My balance problems increased post radiation, but after months of vestibular rehab, I'm greatly improved. I'm hoping there will be no more problems like that. It was scary.

Nancy

sunfish

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 08:06:59 am »
Again, I did CK, not GK.

But I think it's important to expect some minor or not so minor "issues" with the process, and be prepared for them.  I've posted a couple times that I wished I had someone actually stay with me in the afternoons after my treatment.  Mostly, I spent that time in bed.  But the combination of steroids and ativan weren't too good for me, I really didn't feel well, and in retrospect I was really too "out of it" to have been safe without a support person.

Also, I tried to go back to work too soon.  The doctors and patients who've had radiosurgery sometimes make this sound like a walk in the park, and while it might be for some folks, others encounter a bit more of a rocky road.  So just be prepared for anything!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC