Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421013 times)

Jill Marie

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #525 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
Keri, we usually head west on vacation hitting the beach on the Washington coast, it's a good 8 to 10 hour drive.  So, this time we headed to North Idaho, for a 1 hour drive, loved that part.  We camped at two really small towns, Wallace & Cataldo.  Cataldo only has a post office and a restaurant, no store.  Wallace has about 1,000 people, it's a mining town.  If you saw the movie Dante's Peak with Pierce Brosnan in the 80's, that's where the movie was filmed.  We live in Spokane, WA and a very popular resort town called Coeur d'alene, Id is about 40 minutes away and we camped just east of them.  How is your friend doing?  It's scary to think of what can happen just riding your bike.  I know it bothered me when I first started riding but I have to put it aside, but I'm cautious.  Funny you mention biking to the store and not buying as much, when we were camping I found my list to shorten a lot when I thought about packing it back 8 miles.  Some things just weren't as important as I thought. 

Cindy, Get a bike!  Do you have Craig's List where you live.  If you do then go on the site and you can pick up a bike for a lot less then you would at the store.  Yes, your knee will love you for it.  It is suppose to rain tomorrow then it's nice for the rest of the week so it's not quite time to hit the gym and the weights yet, I know I need to.  However, I just as soon ride the bike while it's nice. 

Sara, Looks like you found a great new way to keep your nose to the workout grindstone, let me rephrase that.  Looks like you found a great way to stay motivated to workout.  Not sure I could handle the workout before breakfast, let me know how that goes.  Do you get to do something special on Christmas Day, do you get a present?

Soundy, Congratulations on winning the Fitness Trail Package, I'm sure it will be put to good use.  Sounds like you got a great workout today, sometimes those are the best.  You get the exercise and accomplish something at the same time.  That stick certainly has a dual purpose, keeps you steady and the calves on the move.  Looking forward to hearing that you are once again able to hike the farm alone.

Hope everyone has a great week! Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

cindyj

« Reply #526 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:58 am »

Cindy, Get a bike!  Do you have Craig's List where you live.  If you do then go on the site and you can pick up a bike for a lot less then you would at the store.  Yes, your knee will love you for it.  It is suppose to rain tomorrow then it's nice for the rest of the week so it's not quite time to hit the gym and the weights yet, I know I need to.  However, I just as soon ride the bike while it's nice. 

Got it!  It's a hand-me-down from my husband's aunt.  She got herself a new one...we think we have issues and are sometimes worried about getting on a bike, she is virtually blind from macular degeneration and still gets out and tries to ride her bike :o  I hope to take it out on the trail soon.  My husband is skeptical...not so worried about me as other people who I may hit along the way ;)  May install a bell!

Everyone doing well out there?  If you've fallen off the exercise wagon, don't feel bad about it, just get back on it tomorrow!  Even just a few minutes of some activity will make you feel so much better...really ;D  Ok, sorry, I'll be quiet :-*

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #527 on: October 14, 2010, 09:53:27 am »
I got me a new toy ... it is a hiking stick from Wal-Mart ... $13 ... found it in sporting goods where camping stuff is when looking for plastic egg carton ... it looks like a ski pole and collapses down to about 18 inches ... it has a metal spike for up and down hill and also tips for walking on hard smooth surfaces ... gonna test it on the hill with husband along as back up ...he can walk just in front of me to the left so I can put hand on his back to balance if needed ... I can do side step thing down the hills but it makes me hips hurt ... hoping new walking pole can get me off the hill so I can resume walking cow patrols that I haven't done in 3 years , 5months and 12 days ... not that I am counting ... when I am on patol I have been taking a truck

went to 100 year of Boy Scouting in USA Jamboree over last weekend and got a work out walking around with the girls looking at exhibits and watching them do activities ...they  had a lot of fun I thik mostly I just got tired ... around 15,000 people attended so can't call it camping ...just sleeping in a tent hotel/motel ... came home tired , sore and smelly ... covered in dust and smoke ...when you are there and everyone is dusty and smelly you don't notice but when I stopped for gas and went in to pay I could smell my smokey self over the clean of the store / gas station ...

we burned the remains of an old house on property we have yesterday ... walked about a mile and a half circling it , watching to make sure it didn't send a spark into the grass around it ...we don't need a wild fire with closest hydrant about 2 miles away ... put on my pedometer before going to help ... we had 2 , 1000 gallon tanks with hoses and a pump in the creek about 40 feet away and rescue squad on standby as part of burn permit  , but I figured if it got away , it would do it on an unguarded side ...the  tanks are on flat bed trucks so could be moved around but I still walked around and around and around  for about 2 hours ...

I get in some odd forms exercise  :o
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #528 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:56 am »
Good for you, Soundy! I hope your walking stick works well for you.

I am nearly two weeks into the Body for Life challenge. So far so good. I am not going to get on a scale for four weeks, but I can already tell my jeans are not as snug. I used my beginning weight and fat% (using a handheld measuring device) and am thoroughly disgusted by how many pounds of fat I am carrying around. It will be interesting to see where I end up.

Enjoy the day.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #529 on: October 16, 2010, 03:03:02 pm »
The stick is a Trek Stick ... looked today when I was at Walmart since tag had been thrown away ... it does help on down hill but I am still slow and overly cautious ... the hill is steep , long and peppered with fist size (and bigger) rocks that I don't want encounter while rolling down the hill ...  :D

I have hit a plateau of not losing weight but had lost a few inches ... which doctor said is fine but I like the number on scale to get smaller ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #530 on: October 16, 2010, 04:51:56 pm »
Soundy, if you are losing inches but not weight, that means you are increasing muscle mass and decreasing body fat % - a really good thing!

Muscle is denser than fat, so the same amount of weight takes less room. Many professional athletes actually measure obese on the BMI scale, since their muscle weighs so much.

Keep up the good work!

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »
I swept and mopped (mopping and getting on all 4's over and over to scrub areas) and swept again - because new mop (that broke) kept "shedding".  I have kind of become a FLOOR FANATIC...I WILL be sore tomorrow...Did I mention that our whole bottom floor is tile (or hardwoods)?  Not just a small, little mop job!! 

ANY exertion is good these days...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #532 on: October 16, 2010, 09:41:52 pm »
I am committed to my 2 miles a day around the neighborhood 5x a week.  The weather has been so heavenly that it is a joy to be out in the fresh air.  No humidity! I listen to books as I walk around and the time flies by.  Soundy, you sound like you are in constant motion as you go through your day!  It is no wonder you are losing inches :)  Keep it up!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #533 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:00 pm »
Enjoying some awesome weather here as well...Did a 7 mile hike in the mountains along/around the Ocoee River (the '96 Olympic whitewater venue) on Saturday.  Had a great time w/ husband and another couple.  We walked, but were passed by numerous bike riders...very impressed...I would fall off the mountain for sure if on a bike up there!

We start our 1/2 marathon training  tomorrow - four miles, then 3 miles on two other days.  Still doing the jog/walk/jog/walk thing, though.  Wish we could run the whole time, but  :-\  (Don't know how you do it, Keri!)

Have a great week, all!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

« Reply #534 on: October 18, 2010, 05:28:48 pm »
Sara ... I know the logic of the muscle weighing more than fat , but believe me ... I have plenty of excess fat that needs to go too   :D

Priscilla ... I am in constant motion as a way to not be asleep ... have got to find a doctor that can figure out why if I stop moving and sit down I go to sleep ... I do get exhausted and go to sleep , but too often I am not overly tired and just go to sleep if I stop moving ??? ...

today delivered cardboard gingerbread man cutouts we had laser cut by a local company for scarecrow contest at school ...kids are to decorate them and return them next Monday to be judged ... our  fall festival coming up and we will use the scarecrows for advertisement in local businesses and to hold signs at various games ... walked non stop for  about an hour to carry them from a workroom to different wings and back to workroom to get next batch and deliver them ... came home to clean house which didn't get cleaner well last week with girls out of school and husband home all week ... the house stays cleaner when they go to school and work like the should ... fell like I have got in a leg workout at school and upper body work out cleaning things ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Cheryl R

« Reply #535 on: October 18, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »
Have you asked a dr about having narcolepsy where one does fall asleep at the drop of a hat any time of the day?      Might be something to ask about.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #536 on: October 19, 2010, 12:21:13 am »
It's been a long time since I've been here!  I think the last time I checked in was last March(?) when I was supposed to walk in a 5K which I did not.  However, since then I walked in a 5K on the 4th of July in our small town and then the Women's Fitness Celebration in Boise in September.  I've signed up to walk/jog in a 5K on October 30th.  I'm walking a couple times a week while the weather is nice but I'm afraid it won't last much longer.  Having something to work towards really helps me.

Keep on with your fitness goals, it's so encouraging!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Soundy

« Reply #537 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:11 pm »
I have been tested for narcolepsy and that's not it ... since surgery I just go to sleep when I stop moving and there is no one around to interact with and keep me awake ... two neuros and no reason found other than they saying that brain surgery sometimes leaves patients easily fatigued and it was nothing to worry about ... that is fine if you aren't the one snoozing ... I have alarms going off everyday at 90 minute intervals from 9:00am until 4:00PM ... this keeps me from sleeping too long if I do go to sleep ... drives family nuts over weekends but often they are off farming or fishing and I am alone so just leave them going off ...have 3 small cheap alarm clocks hidden through out house ... keeps me from sleeping too long and I try to lay down after the 1:30 alarm to catch a nap ... the 3:00 gets me back up ... if I have someone that is talking to me I don't go to sleep ... I have even fell asleep at computer ... even though it is interaction it is not live and active interaction ... TV puts me out ... I never  sleep long but sleep often ... 30-45 minutes is the usual and up to 2 hours ... this is around the clock and so I am often up at odd hours ...

walked at school today ... Fall Festival coming up on the 29th ... will get in several weeks worth of walking next week just  moving things around school and delivering stuff to classes ... the following week I plan on staying home and reacquainting myself with my house ...

next few days will be nuts ... sister and soon to be BIL flying in from Texas tomorrow , rounding up last minute wedding things Thursday , driving to Chattanooga Friday morning for wedding ... they are  tying the knot at 2:00 and after a meal for immediate family and a couple friends  , I plan on driving back home (subject to change according to tiredness ) ... sleep off and on Saturday then they are coming back here Sunday for Thanksgiving since they won't be able to get off until after New Years ... feeding 15-20 people enchiladas and hamburgers ( odd I know ) and a pumpkin pie (odder yet) and then they are off on a plane back to Texas Monday morning ... figure all of that will equal a day or two at the gym
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #538 on: October 30, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
Drop it!  Now, walk away from the Halloween candy, slowly, now run! 

Ok, maybe I'll have just one (or two) Snicker's and a bit of candycorn :-\

Oh, someone, help me! ...those chocolate covered marshmallow pumpkins...yes, I do have a problem...

cindy

PS - Anissa, did you do the 5K today?  How'd it go? 
feeling great!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #539 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
I'm one third of the way into a twelve week Body for Life challenge. So far I have lost 3 pounds and 4 inches (over eight measurement points), my body fat has declined by 1.5 percentage points and 3.25 pounds and my lean mass has increased by 0.25 pounds. The biggest changes that I have noticed is that my jeans are not quite as snug and my little belly roll is slowly disappearing. I'm not in my goal jeans yet, but stay tuned . . .

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09