Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420970 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:56 am »
Jan, that's so exciting! Now I met you at the symposium and I can't imagine that you have a very long way to go. Keep working the way you are and you will be there in no time.

Sara -  it's SO sweet of you to say this, but I've seen my pictures from the 2009 symposium and that's one of the many things that prompted my new weight loss/exercise regime.  In my mind I'm still 30 and a size 8/10, but the proof is in the pictures - and they tell another story completely  :o I've really let myself go since my divorce - about 4 1/2 years now - and it's time to get my sh*t together.

Patrick - rounding up is a good thing  ;D  I'll take your advice on the knees.

Phyl - sorry to hear about your job and the flooding.  I saw pictures from MA on msn not too long ago and wondered if you were affected by the rain.  I'm very sorry that you were.  I know all about the flooded basement issue.  I'm still mourning the loss of old photos and letters from my childhood, as well as things my children wrote and drew that I lost in my basement flood  :'(  Hope you didn't lose anything valuable. 

Lori - don't underestimate the value of trips to the playground and walking around the neighborhood; they are exercise, too.  I'm very happy to read that you are closing on the house in TN  ;D  Good luck to Paige on Saturday.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »
I did a lower body workout this morning, then instead of repeating the upper body from yesterday, I did cardio on the SciFit arm machine followed by the stair step machine. These are two of my least favorite activities so I usually do both of them for a shorter period of time. Whatever works, right?

Need to plan out my workouts for next Monday and Tuesday as Elbee and I are leaving for the national bb tournament Wednesday and I doubt I'll do more than sit on the bleacher and drive around.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2010, 09:01:32 pm »
hi everyone,
i really need to get caught up here on this thread. just haven't had too much access to internet this past week (because of all my working out all day everyday... haha just joking on that one).
i do have a half marathon tomorrow morning. it starts at 7:00am. i really need to be in bed!
looking forward to catching up with everyone after i get done tomorrow.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
Got a 25 mile bike ride done this morning before big thunderstorm hit. We were planning on doing 50. Houston area people will understand....my biking partner and me made it out to Hempstead (our turnaround point) before the deluge. We were rescued by my wife, so we didn't have to ride back in the rain. Going to be cold here tomorrow, so will do some running instead of biking.

How was the half Keri?

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »
Sorry to here you will soon be out of work ... have two semi employed sons who were laid off and have yet to find full time work ...hope you have better luck looking for new employment ... we are in the top five counties for most unemployed people in Tennessee ...quit looking to see our rank cause it is depressing

walked about 3 miles yesterday with 12 giggling photographers ... 4-H photo club ... they were suppose to be taking pictures of buildings around our town square and on the campus of our little college... and they did that ... but got more excited over the new spring clothes and shoes in the store windows ... I hung to the rear of the pack ... that way they couldn't see me wobble  :D... we have sections of cobble stone and brick sidewalk ... they are not my favorite walking surface ...was asked a million times how I was doing by another adult and wanted to tell her to hush ... but just answered yes a million time ... I told her if I fell I would scream ...

went to doctor yesterday due to discoid rash related to lupus  ... he looked at chart and said good thing is you have lost 4 pounds ...then said bad news is I am putting you on steroids ...always gain some with them so fighting a never ending battle with weight loss  that I guess I won't ever completely win ...

if it is over cast on day of 5K I may run ... but if it is sunny I will most likely sit it out ... sun makes me itch and I am itching from walk yesterday after noon in late afternoon early evening sun ... full mid day sun may be too much ... unless it is sunny and really cold so I can dress like an Eskimo
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »
It's a good evening as I find there is no one to yell at, looks like everyone is doing something to keep up their pledge to take care of themselves. 

Sara - I'm going to try and catch up with your work out program starting Monday, our youngest son is going to be gone for about a month so I can dedicate myself to working out instead of helping him get ready to leave.  I'm with you on the working out but not watching what I eat, I have a little bit but not like I should, and of course it shows.  I use to love the stair stepper, did it everyday for 1/2 hour or more, now I agree, it's not my favorite, guess if I did it more I would be in better shape for it and therefore like it more.

Kaybo - Hope Kendie is doing good.  I think perhaps you need to go in for an evaluation as I'm concerned about you thinking 5 a.m. is a good time to work out, I think it's a good time to sleep.  Good luck with the plan, my not fitting into my clothes was a good motivator for me as well.

Pat - I'm not even going to try and catch up with you on your workouts.  Bet you gave your wife an extra big hug for rescuing you!

Soundy - Your walk through the school sure makes for an interesting time and isn't that what it's all about when getting exercise, making it interesting.

Jan - You get the Gold Star for the week!  I know what you mean about the weather making it hard to workout at the gym.  I promised myself I wouldn't leave the gym tell April but I ended up walking the dogs 3 days this week because the weather was so nice. 

Phy -  Sorry to hear about the job loss, can't remember who said it but I agree with the idea that something better will come along.  I sometimes wish I would get laid off so I could find something new, but also glad I don't because of the economy and my age of course.  I love to talk to people and considering the medical issues I've thought about working with the home bound but I don't have the medical background.  Glad you got to take some walks with the dogs, comfort food is good but so our walks with the ones you love.

Lori - Don't worry about not doing the in gym workout or the official I'm going on a walk deal, it's amazing how much exercise one gets just doing the daily things.  When the little ones are older you will be able to join the ranks of the scheduled ones, until then, enjoy the kids.

Keri - How was the Marathon,  remember, one marathon equals a weeks worth of workouts so your ok.

Cindy - Thanks Cindy, yes I'm feeling better, I can read the posts now.  I've pretty much had a headache since my doctor visit and my dilated eye is still red and hurting more than it did, part my fault, stayed up to late last night.  A few posts back you mentioned that those lurking around the thread should come join us and I totally agree. 

Hi there fellow AN posters, please come join us in our quest to walk, run or something as Keri said when this thread started, tell us what you've done, what you would like to do, give us new ideas for making exercising fun, tell us how it has made things better or tell us how it created issues for you.  Today is the first day of Spring so it's a good time to start something new that can blossom into something grand!  Jill :)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »
Kendie has had a really rotten day (temp right now is 102.7 - just gave her med). Hoping that it's the "bad" one that comes a few days after any surgery.  She ate pancakes, corn dog & hambuger yesterday. I am optmistic that tomorrow is better but at this rate, we'll be going back to the ent monday instead of school!

Jill~
I definitely think I  should still be sleeping at 5 but when I go to the gym then, there aren't appointmens or meetings that interfer with my workout. We'll see...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2010, 11:24:03 am »
Well, yesterday was a no-brainer day for the gym.  Snow? :(  After a 70 degree day!   ???   :o

Oh, yeah, this is Chicago.  I forgot that was normal  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
Jan,

You get extra credit for that - If I woke up and saw snow, I'd stay in bed with the covers over my head!

And I didn't run the Shamrock Marathon here in VB this weekend, but the distance from where we had to park yesterday to get Paige to the starting line for her race was about the distance of a marathon, so I'll count that as my exercise for the day!  Next year, we're just leaving the car at home and walking!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2010, 07:31:26 pm »
We had that same exact weather here in mid-Missouri, Jan. It's been a nasty wet weekend, but tomorrow it is supposed to be 60 and sunny again.

BTW Elbee and I leave for Valparaiso Wednesday and hope to be able to sneak in a side trip to Chicago. We are on a mission to find confirmation and eighth grade graduation dresses and at this point in our respective lives our definitions of appropriateness are widely divergent. The trip itself should be a lot easier since she can walk this time.

I may miss the gym in the morning because we have someone coming to pick up some furniture. That leaves a killer day for Tuesday. But I'm sure it'll all work out one way or another.

Have a great week, everyone.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:55 pm »
Please say some prayers for Kendie - she is not doing well (still drinking thank goodness) but has a high fever - up to 103 when it is Tylenol time again - I keep getting the runaround from the Drs on call so I will be calling our ENT 1st thing in the morning.  If temp goes up in night, we will go to ER...

K

*obviously no workout for me for a few days*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »
Kaybo,  We will be thinking about Kendie and hoping you don't have to go to the ER, will keep you and your family in our thoughts as well.  As for the workouts, taking care of a child is workout enough!  :( :( Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

lori67

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2010, 07:13:43 am »
I feel so bad for Kendie.  I'd definitely be demanding some attention from the surgeon.  She shouldn't be running such a high fever at this point.

Have you tried Advil or Motrin instead of Tylenol?  Usually better at bringing down the fever and it lasts longer.  Ask the doctor if it's okay.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:37 am »
Well, yesterday was a no-brainer day for the gym.  Snow? :(  After a 70 degree day!   ???   :o

Oh, yeah, this is Chicago.  I forgot that was normal  :D

Jan

we had wind and rain all weekend...average temp over last few days 65 and now it si snowing ...

Did manage a few rounds around the school gym this morning before picking up 15 month old grand baby who will keep me running all day ... as soon as she wakes up that is ...

Hope Kendie is doing better and you get some answers or advice from doctors today
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2010, 09:20:55 am »
Kay, hope Kendie is feeling better today!  Poor thing...

Snowing here in Atlanta today...no, I'm not happy about it :( but my girlfriends say we're hitting the trail this afternoon regardless :P  (Ok, so, it's just a flake or two here and there, but still...)

Hope you're all starting your week out with a workout of some sort today!

Keri, how'd your 1/2 go?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings