Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418895 times)

Keri

let's run! or walk! or something....
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
When I finished a marathon last October (very slowly, somewhat painfully!) I had a few people say on the forum - 'hey I've done half marathons; now maybe I'll try a full." or "I used to run and need to get back into it." When Patrick finished his half on Sunday, i heard someone say, "I need to try Houston half one of these days." It's encouraging to think that when one of us tries something post op, we can help others maybe try the same.

I am a very UNdisciplined runner. I think many times people think of runners as these super fit, slim, fast people who are on this runner's high. Well, that's not me! A lot of the time I don't even like running! I never run just for the sheer joy of it all.  I run because I stupidly or crazily do things like sign up for half marathons or marathons just to keep me training! Without this impetus, I'm not sure if I'd ever run. To clarify - I do like it most of the time once I get going and get warmed up and just get my butt out the door. And when I'm done with a run I'm ALWAYS happy I did it and feel generally better about things, like I've accomplished something, etc.

So I thought I could start this thread (kind of a continuation of the NY's resolution thread) so that we could share our goals or what we'd like to try to do. This is not just for those who would like to do distance - it's great if someone sets a goal of a 5K or just to start walking regularly, or exercising, etc.

Here's what I've found helpful as I've gotten more serious about running:
<<the screen is bouncing around and i can't see what i'm typing now so i'm going to continue this on a reply>>>

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »
part 2 i'm not trying to write a book here, it's just when my post got long, the screen started doing weird things.

Here's what I've found helpful as I've gotten more serious about running:
-get a running friend or partner. if you can't find anyone, join or check into road runners clubs of america. they have chapters all over the country. i'm a member of my local running club. in the DC area alone, there's the DC road runners, montgomery county road runners, howard county road runners; there are 'road runners' in every county around here. when i went to FL last summer on vacation, i checked into running with the ft myers road runners (although on vacation, i never felt like getting up early and running with them).
These road runners chapters have all speeds of runners - from those who are trying to Boston qualify to 'back of the pack' groups. They have training groups for 5k's, 10k's, half and full marathons. The one i'm in has a training group for beginning runners, for women and for walkers.

-subscribe to Runners World or go to their website. I used to see this magazine (which almost always features 'plastic looking perfect people' on the cover) and think it was just for fast runners and so wouldn't be helpful for me. It appeals to and helps all runners. They have a section just for slow runners and a section for beginners. They have training tips and diet / food info, shoe info, race info, stories, all kinds of info. Their website has all kinds of specific info as well, info on injuries, etc. It's a great magazine.

-if you're going to run, get a GOOD pair of shoes. this really helps in the injury department. i've found it helpful to go to a running store (not just target or whatever) and talk to someone that is used to helping runners find a good shoe that fits their gait or style or whatever. it's a little more expensive but is worth it. also, get good socks.

-if you're moving from doing a half marathon to doing a marathon, i think a training group is really necessary and very helpful. when you have to knock out weekly long runs it's so helpful to have a group or person to talk to pass the hours and also stay accountable to (like when you'd rather stay in bed on saturday morning).

i'm sure others have great advice to share or we could share some goal races we'd like to try, etc.
happy running, walking, etc
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »
Great idea Keri!

I was training with Team in Training back in 2005 when I found out I was pregnant with Erika, so there went that idea.  Then there was the move to TN and the AN...always something.  I want to pick up and start running again, but the hard part is the kids.  What the heck do I do with them while I'm running?  We did just join the YMCA so hopefully that will work out (they offer free child care).

As you know (thank you!), Paige, my 7 year old is doing "Operation Smile - Final Mile" with her school.  The kids run the Virginia Beach Shamrock Marathon but instead of doing it all at once, they have from now until March to do one mile at a time on their own and then they do the final mile together at the actual event.  It's to raise money for Operation Smile, a charity that provides medical care to children born with facial deformities, such as cleft lip.  So, we've been doing some walking together and will work up to running.

I'm also planning to do the "Run for Aaron" 5K in South Jersey in April.  It's a memorial run for my nephew who passed away when he was 10 years old.  (You should come up for that - it's not too far for you - and all the old Italian ladies cook the pasta dinner the night before and lots of goodies for after the race!).

I don't particularly like running either and I won't do it unless it's for a good cause (other than my staying healthy).

I credit the forum and the start of the book club with getting me back into reading more -so maybe this is what I need to start running!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »
Great posts Keri and Lori. I'm more like you guys than you think...I don't just love to run all the time either, but I know it's good for me. It's tough getting motivated sometimes. I have to have a reason or an event to shoot for. If I don't declare to people in writing that I'm going to do something like long distance running or biking events, I probably wouldn't do it. I think you're right that for me to be able to run a full marathon after only doing 3 halfs, it's going to take a lot of motivation, and a training group sounds like a great idea.

My next goal (as it has been every year for the last 7 years) is to ride my bike 170 miles from Houston to Austin in support of raising funds for those afflicted with MS. I'm starting that training with my bike partner this weekend. The actual ride is in mid-April.

Oh and Keri, I know you've had to have some discipline to be able to run a full marathon, and I don't care what pace you run. I know what it takes to run a half, so I'm in awe of those that have run 26.2 miles all at once.

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:18 am »
Good thread, Keri!  As some of you know, I did a 1/2 marathon on Halloween (one year post op)...have been training for another one in Feb in Florida (a breast cancer fundraiser).  There are four of us who have been training together for months - I could NOT do it without them.  It makes such a difference to know that someone is out on the path waiting for you - otherwise, I'd always be coming up with excuses to not train.  We alternate fast walking and jogging- very new to me to run, but I'm enjoying it...well, mostly ;)

For a gentler type of exercise (and much more fun), Brad & I have just started dance lessons at our local rec center.  It's the West Coast Swing - we are terrible, but it is great fun and we really do feel like we get a bit of a workout with it.

Know we have our standup paddler, Bob, and a number of runners and bikers and horse riders.  Hope to hear from more of you about what you're doing!  Donnalynn, you were doing some indoor rock climbing there for awhile - I'd love to try that!  What else, y'all?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:45 pm »
I cross country skied to my mailbox the other day.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »
Nancy,

You get extra credit for that!   :D

I have some snowshoes that haven't gotten much use since I left Upstate NY.  Want me to send them to you?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:25:24 pm »
Keri,
Your letter sounded a lot like me and how I feel about running. I ALWAYS like it when I'm done too. Running with other people makes it muc more fun.  I run with 2 or 3 other friends.  We keep each other motivated.  This summer we are planning  on running in a 50 mile relay.  It's a cancer fund-raiser.  We invited my daughter to run with us.  She can be fast while we do our slow runs in between.  :-)  Somewhere I read that the only difference between jogging and running is your attitude.  I'm consider myself a running...albeit slow.  Anybody ever gets to the UP of Michigan I can show you some fun routes to run. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Keri

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:10 pm »
it's great to hear what everyone's doing...

lori, pick me up on the way to jersey for the 5k! i hope your daughter is having fun getting her miles in before the shamrock. maybe it'll tire her out a bit??!  and my hubby isn't running the half; he and his buddies didn't sign up in time and the race filled up.

patrick - i figured you'd be doing the bike thing soon. i hope it's better weather this year. didn't you get flooded out for half of it last year?

nancy - i would love to learn to cross country ski. but we never have enough snow. well, we did in dec and half of jan. now it's about all gone.

cindy and jean - i remember y'all posting about your half marathons before. keep us posted on how it's going with your upcoming events. it is helpful to have friends/family to run with, although i used to think i was just fine running alone. usually i do during the week, but long weekend runs are harder.

patrick - i know you're all geared up for biking long mileage and i hope you still get time in for running so you don't have to rebuild all your mileage when you do your marathon next year! i'm not much of  a biker, but i wish i made more time for it.
ok, tomorrow i need to do a long run since i signed up for a marathon in mid april. i'm not running with a group tomorrow because of scheduling and will go it alone. i need to do 15. come tomorrow, i'm going to want to just stay at home and drink coffee and eat waffles. so i'm posting it here so hopefully i'll go through with it!

have a good weekend! happy running, walking, dancing or whatever!
keri
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:03 pm »
Tell you what, Keri....you go run and I'll stay home and eat waffles and drink coffee for you!  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.  I'm willing to take one for the team!   ;D

Lori

texsooner

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:02:59 pm »
Keri, yes we got flooded out of our first day of the MS ride last year....hope that doesn't happen again.  I'm forcing myself to start the bike training tomorrow with a 40 mile ride....there, I said it like you did. I will do it (unless it's raining). I expect to hear about your long run tomorrow.

Lori, just a suggestion, but go walk a couple of miles first, and then you can even have an extra waffle or pancake. 

Let's all get out there and do something.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »
We went cross county skiing on the lake this morning.  Gorgeous!  Now, if I could do that for the next ten days, I might be able to get my bathing suit on in St Croix without horrifying the residents.  Off to a potluck eating marathon now.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 05:04:17 pm »
I'm reporting in.  Didn't run 15 miles like Keri, but I did run 3 miles with my friends today.  I'll be happy when the weather gets warmer. At least the snow has melted off the roads for the moment. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »
Patrick,

Wish I'd read your suggestion BEFORE I ate the pancakes!   :D

My only workout today involved doing my taxes and paying bills.  My fingers, eyes and brain are very well exercised now - I think I'll give them the day off tomorrow.

Nancy, I used to cross country ski all the time when I lived in Upstate NY.  I still have my skiis, but they don't get much use since I've moved south.  But if it ever does snow here - I'll be the only one prepared! 

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »
OK...reluctantly joining this thread...I have really packed on the pounds and haven't been to the gym since before Thanksgiving and not near as dedicated as I was last year (well, never got back as dedicated as I was before I had the T3 & all those problems).  I have a sprained ankle right now, but hope to start going again when it is a bit less bruised & swollen.  HELP!  I need some accountability and encouragement!

K
*still sitting in the chair for a bit longer...*

PS - I did take a child to a BD party, coach a 1st grade BB game, take a girly to figure skating (lots of walking - NOT good for ankle) and raced to a funeral - does that count for anything?
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!