Author Topic: brain tumors - occipital lobe - any info?  (Read 13630 times)

Keri

brain tumors - occipital lobe - any info?
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:29 am »
Hello,
I know from time to time others hop on the AN site to find out info about different kinds of tumors. I'm now doing the same. I have a good friend who had stroke like symptoms - his vision flashed and was sort of 'blacking out.' He has a 2cm tumor on his occipital lobe (or in it, not sure).
He wanted some advice from me with my 1.6cm AN, removed by translab. His doctor wants to do a biopsy (requiring drilling in his head a one inch hole, a 3 day hospital stay) but someone else (not a doc) suggested he check into GK.
I don't think our tumors are alike, but I gave him advice that we give on here - get a 2nd opinion (his doc wants to move fast on this, which may be necessary), and check how many of these types of surgeries the doctor has done. Also, I told them that I believe with GK or radiation, tumor size has an impact on whether they can do it or not.

We live in the DC area and I suggested Hopkins or Univ of MD.
Unfortunately, he doens't have a 'name' or forum he can go to for questions, help, support. I told him this AN forum is the greatest and if anyone can jump in with answers or experience with this type of thing, they will

Thank you!!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: brain tumors - occipital lobe - any info?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »
Keri ~

Check your PM box. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:11 am »
I don't have an specific info that would help your friend but I had my surgery at Hopkins and will be transferring postop care to University of MD (insurance reasons primarily) so if you want to talk hospitals I can do that. Though I guess I also have some occipital lobe experience since a chunk of mine was taken out during my AN surgery.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:40:03 am »
Nicole,

I am confused now: was it a part of your cerebellum removed during the surgery or part of your occipital lobe which is considered to be part of the cerebrum, not cerebellum?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:05:55 am »
thank you (all of you) for answering. i guess with his mass, he's heard several different courses of treatment that are vastly different. doc #1 - take a biopsy - get it out now. doc #2 - wait. then one said he may have migraines but they still need to find out what that 2 cm mass in his head is! he has another appt thursday, i believe. it's got to be disconcerting! at least with AN's we pretty much know our treatment options, although of course, there can always be complications and regrowth, etc. i know in this area i think a good hospital to have a procedure done would be hopkins or Maryland. i'll keep you posted. please keep wayne in your prayers.

thanks,
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:04:08 pm »
Eve, you're right - I didn't pay much attention to the original question obviously. Blame it on the messed up brain.  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »
Whew! (A sigh of relief!) If you had any part of your occipital lobe removed, you would have felt it a lot more! I just hoped that no surgeon had to do something like that just to get to the tumor.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.