Author Topic: "Brain games"  (Read 6065 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
"Brain games"
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:21 am »
Has anyone else been advised to try doing "brain games" to improve their cognitive abilities?

After my Executive Functioning Test showed Some deficits, my Speech-Language Pathologist advised trying out some games. Specifically, I've been working on a website called lumosity.com. It seemed to really be working! In addition to my score improving, after a couple weeks I am finally starting to feel more "normal".
There's also things like "Big Brain Academy" and "Brain Age" for other gaming systems, but I like Lumosity because it has different 'training' pathways. I'm finishing up Basic Training now, and then will subscribe to the Traumatic Brain Injury Training to see how it differs.

You do have to pay for it after the first free week, but I would recommend it to anyone who feels "slower" after surgery - I wish I had started earlier in my recovery!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: "Brain games"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:11 am »
Been many discussions over the past years re: "Brain Games" (I live for Sudoku!)

Here are 3 threads/discussions in the past (you'll see how long some of us have been around these parts! :) )

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8869.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2771.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2985.0

great suggestions noted in them all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »
Yikes, sorry, should have done a search before I posted!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:53:24 pm »
oh, no worries... that is why I get paid the BIG bucks (NOT!) around here! :)

these links may also be helpful to others (as well as may be you?).  Hope they help and give other suggestions that may be worth checking into.

Seeing a lot of WII talk around here as well (I have NO clue what it is... but folks seem to enjoy it) for balance issues.  so, not just brain games that help us but seems other forms of games to help with the vestibular issues as well.

Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »
I have often wondered about this - I will check it out!!\

Thanks!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »
I think the brain is like any other body part - use it or lose it.   :D

Now I have an excuse for my crossword puzzle addiction!  I will check out that website though.  Thanks for sharing it.

There's no telling how much of my brain has turned to mush from the AN and being a stay at home mom for the past 7 years.   ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:51:39 pm »
Oh, I don't know about that, Lori. I think I have to be more alert to stay ahead of my kids than I ever did in the paid work force.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:32:21 am »
Well, good point, Sara!  I suppose if I ever go on Jeopardy, I'll do well on categories like "Name the Muppets" or " Stain removal"!   :D  I've given up on trying to stay ahead of them - if I can just keep up - I'm happy! 

I worked with traumatic brain injury patients though, and most of them were twice my size, so there was quite a bit of incentive to stay alert!  At least my kids listen to me...usually.    :-\

Fortunately, I get some brain games on the forum when people use the big words!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:40:00 am »
Great to hear that you are feeling better and the brain games are working!
Things do get better, slowly, as you are seeing..... It is a lot of work, kind of like a part time job just taking care of your body's needs :)
Wishing you good brain days, and a return to part time work soon. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty