Author Topic: TransEar Experts! A few questions for you, please!  (Read 4635 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
TransEar Experts! A few questions for you, please!
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:46:19 am »
I'm only 3+weeks out from my surgery, but my tumor was on my hearing nerve (removed during surgery), so I am completely SSD in my left ear with no hope of any hearing returning.  So far, it's only been a minor inconvenience but, of course, I haven't done much the past 3 weeks.  My ENT wants me to try nonsurgical hearing devices before I jump into a BAHA (and I would really rather find something nonsurgical too!).  I was researching the TransEar and I have a few questions.

First, what exactly do you "hear" with it?  Meaning, if someone is speaking on your deaf side, do you just hear it in your good ear, or do you actually have the sensation of "hearing" on your deaf side?  How well do you hear from the deaf side?

Second, did your insurance cover it?  Do you know if insurance normally covers it?

How long did it take from being fitted to actually getting your TransEar?

Finally, what do you like least/most about it? 

I go for an appointment with the audiologist next Monday, so I'm sure they will discuss a few options with me, but from my research I like TransEar better than Cross because it would leave my good ear free.  I don't like the idea of having something in both ears if I don't have to.  I have perfect hearing in my good ear, so I wouldn't need a Bi-Cross.  Also, I have long hair, but I don't really care if anyone sees it there or not.  With my profession, I'm more worried about hearing clearly and accurately.

Thanks in advance!!!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: TransEar Experts! A few questions for you, please!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »
Lyn,

Okay, first off I'm not a TransEar Expert nor do I wear TransEar.  But, I can offer what I presume to be the case on some of your questions..

I demo'd the BAHA (with the headband) awhile back.. I presume since they work on similar types of technology (i.e. bone condution) that it would be similar to what I experienced..  What I "heard" was like listening to my environment (at least through that side) through an AM radio station that was not quite tuned in.. Not static sounding as I could understand most of what was going on around me.. I could really "hear" what it was doing when I plugged up my good ear..

About insurance.. Unfortunately, coverage depends on the carrier.  For example, my insurance covers "hearing aids" to the tune of $1,000 every 36 months (3 years).  Many people find that insurance actually will cover BAHA better because it's considered an "implant" by some carriers rather than a "hearing aid".  It's all in how your doctor presents it to the insurance company for reimbursement.

I can't answer the questions about timing or about best/least because I don't wear one..  But, at least that was my experience with the BAHA trial headband, and I presume it would be similar with TransEar..  I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.  ;)

In general, I would presume that BAHA, TransEar, Cros, or Ponto Pro would help by aiding in better hearing things that happen on the SSD side..  I would also presume that word recognition with both ears (especially coming from the SSD side) would improve but not be perfect.  It would allow one to "hear" when something was being directed at them in speech or if there was noise on the SSD side (i.e. an oncoming car if you were walking in a parking lot).  Presumably, it would also aid (maybe to somewhat a lesser degree) in localizing where a sound is coming from.  In theory, even though you would "hear" the sound in your good ear, your brain would know the difference between "real" sound and TransEar-induced sound or at least it would learn it after some time..

Hope that helps in some way..

Regarsds,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »
I'm not a TransEar expert, but I have used one for just short of three years now.

First, what exactly do you "hear" with it?  Meaning, if someone is speaking on your deaf side, do you just hear it in your good ear, or do you actually have the sensation of "hearing" on your deaf side?  How well do you hear from the deaf side?

I don't really sense "hearing" on my deaf side, but I do hear the sounds better than if I wasn't using the TransEar.  Without it, the sounds on my deaf side would be softer and more difficult to understand.  With it, I am able to understand the sounds, especially speech, more clearly.  I've had it so long now that my brain has really adapted to having it.  There are times when I do know that the sound is coming through the TransEar because it has a "tinny, electronic" sound.  If someone is talking in a normal voice I have no problem hearing them on my deaf side with the TransEar.  However, if they are whispering I still have great difficulty hearing them. 

Second, did your insurance cover it?  Do you know if insurance normally covers it?

My insurance covers a certain amount on hearing aids.  Currently that amount is $1600.  I am responsibile for the difference.  But I just found a new audiolgist who told me that she is going to try and get my insurance to pay the full amount because she told me that my insurance would normally pay $1600 per ear and since I only need one that they are penalizing me for not needing two aids.  I'm still waiting to hear how that is going to work out. 

How long did it take from being fitted to actually getting your TransEar?

Once you are fitted for the TransEar, it takes about two weeks to get it.

Finally, what do you like least/most about it? 

What I like the least about the TransEar is that I can't wear it if I'm sweating a lot or in water.  What I like the most about it is that it gives me some extra hearing that I no longer have.  It's not like normal lhearing, but it is a help.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:27 pm »
Lyn -

here are a few links that might help you in your research:

http://www.transear.com/

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

http://www.cochlearamericas.com/

As you know, I'm not a TransEar user, I have a BAHA - and while I know something attached to a titanium rod that's implanted in the skull isn't for everyone - there are several reasons I personally chose a BAHA.

I didn't want to wear anything in my ear.  I felt that at the age of 45 1/2 I was too young to wear a hearing aid and I also didn't want the world to know I was SSD unless I chose to tell them.  With the BAHA no one knows I'm wearing it unless I choose to enlighten them.

I didn't want to deal with a device that needed a lot of repairs due to wiriing problems - the BAHA has no wires.  In all fairness though, TransEar has resolved a lot of their wiring issues over the past 2 years so that's not as big an issue for users as it once was.

A BAHA device doesn't have to be "fitted".  The TransEar is specially molded to your inner ear, which is wonderful if it's molded well, but the sound is all in the fit.  If the fit is poor, so is the sound. 

Neither the BAHA nor the TransEar is inexpensive and my insurance company doesn't pay for hearing aids.  They do, however, pay for implants which is what the BAHA is.

The longer I have worn my Divino the more directionality I have and once I upgrade to the BP100 it should only increase.  With the BAHA you do have the sensation of "hearing" on your deaf side.  I can hear others whisper to me on my deaf side if I'm wearing my Divino.  The "AM Radio station" sound that Pooter heard during the demo doesn't exist with the real thing; I had a slight bit of that experience when I first got my Divino, but it disappeared within days.  It's not like having normal hearing; the biggest drawback to the Divino is it's not easy to hear in a noisy and/or crowded room - but that is true of the majority of hearing aids - and the BP100 has resolved that issue a lot.

I personally found that being SSD after my AN surgery had a huge impact on my life.  It was very difficult for work and even more difficult at home for my children.  I missed so many important conversations with them because they were so frustrated with me asking them to repeat themselves numerous times that they would just give up.  And all of us hated the fact that I kept saying "WHAT??"  The BAHA has been as big an asset for them as it has been for me.  I strongly encourage you to try the demo.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I think it's important for you to know all your options before making a decision.  Kind of like the radiation vs surgery thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:55 am »
Thanks for all of the great info!

Jan, you didn't hijack at all!  I appreciate all of the info I can get on ALL of the options.  Honestly, I will probably end up looking at a BAHA in the long-term, but my ENT really wants me to wait a few months and try some other options before I do anything permanent.  I get that.  Like I said, at this point I don't even want to THINK about surgery. That might change after 6 months of saying, "Whaaaat?" 200x a day.   :D

Again, thanks to everyone for the info.  I wanted to go into my appointment Monday with a little info under my belt. 

Lyn

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
Hi Lyn,

Of course the questions were same as mine too!     NO way do I want to think of surgery either, yet, and I could care less if anyone seen the thing in my ear (but my hair too would mostly cover it)

Anyways, I've heard huge differences in pricing, and wonder if you ask that info Monday if you mind sharing.    I'm sure BAHA costs a LOT more because you need surgery.....any surgery alone isn't cheap.

Good Luck.............how was it this week back at school?  (or next week)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »
Honestly, I will probably end up looking at a BAHA in the long-term, but my ENT really wants me to wait a few months and try some other options before I do anything permanent.  I get that. 

Lyn -

my neurotologist & I were talking BAHAs just today and he said that he recommends patients try the BAHA demo.  If they don't like it, he advises them not to have the surgery and to look into other options.  His point is the same as yours - if someone finds they don't like the demo or aren't sufficiently impressed with it - they should not sign up for a permanent "fixture".

When I first started investigating the BAHA, I talked to a lot of people on the Forum who got theirs before me and I asked them a lot of questions.  I still wasn't sure though if I really wanted another surgery or if having a piece of titanium sticking out of my head (even though it's only about 1/8 of an inch away from the skull) was for me.  All that changed the day I tried the BAHA demo  ;D

I was totally blown away by it and decided if the real thing was even close, it was definitely for me.  To have the sensation of hearing something out of an ear that was stone deaf for 4 months post op was amazing!  :o  So, in my case, the demo was the deciding factor.

The BAHA may or may not be for you; you just never know. 

Denise S -

a BAHA device (aka the tiny hearing aid that attaches to the titanium rod implanted in the skull) is pretty comparable in price to a well-made, high quality, conventional hearing aid.  Yes, the surgery isn't cheap, but if insurance covers it, it can actually be economical.  In my case, I paid $0 for my BAHA implant surgery and my device.  If I would have opted for a conventional hearing aid (TransEar is included in this category) I would have paid a few thousand dollars out of my pocket.

So for those who can get their insurance company to cover the cost, the BAHA can actually be cheaper. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:57:51 pm »
Jan thanks for clarifying the info. on the BAHA and insurance.     I'lll have to say I did try a demo and I think it was the 100 (it was so small, almost like the size of a starburst  candy square).  Audiologist said it was the newest one.  He said there have been upgrades and they (in Detroit office) have yet not had any complaints about it, must be good (or super new) ;)     My hubby & I fell in love with it.  It was amazing how well  I could here with it.....the demo was so surreal feeling,  but I can't think another surgery "yet", maybe down the line.

Lyn, I just last night got a post on Facebook AN of a guy who got his Transear mold done.  He said the total will be $3,200 for him (plus office visit/co-pay).   He too is supposed to keep me posted on his follow up, but for me that price was better (for today anyways) than the BAHA reference they told me about $18,000 if insurance won't cover the surgery part for the titanium rod implant. 

One more oddness when it comes to this AN stuff, etc. is how different all insurance companies coverage is.   Now a new year, we all have new deductibles too  :(  yuck!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:17:10 pm »
Denise, I know, new deductibles, ick.  But I'm also worried I was near my aggregate max last year of $200,000 after surgery 2 MRI's an emergency room visit, etc.  I'm still a student, so I'm on STUDENT insurance which is great in some ways, but awful in others.  I have no idea if it will pay for hearing aids.  I guess that's a question I need answered before I make any decisions. 

Jan, I hadn't even thought about the possibility of my insurance covering a BAHA and not a hearing aid, so that very well might come into the equation also.

Again, because I'm still a STUDENT (and one with two small children, at that), I cannot afford $3,000+ for a hearing aid, particularly with all I paid out of pocket for my surgery and medications last year, so if there are no options that my insurance will cover, I might be going without anything until I graduate in another 1 1/2 years.  Hey, anyone hear about the lawyer with only one good ear?  Haha  :D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »
Jan, I hadn't even thought about the possibility of my insurance covering a BAHA and not a hearing aid, so that very well might come into the equation also.

Lyn -

if you get to the point where you decide to ask your insurance company about coverage, read some of the posts on the Forum.

There are certain things that you need to present to them - key among them the fact that a BAHA isn't a hearing aid; it is an implant or a prosthesis.  This might sound like a small point, but trust me, it's a large one.

There are other things you need to stress to them, but that's another post for another day if you decide to pursue a BAHA.

Jan

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »
Jean said everything I was going to about my experience using my TransEar, so I won't repeat it.  A lot of the effectiveness of a TransEar is dependent on getting a good fit in the original mold, so it's worth finding someone who has good experience.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)