Author Topic: Will I ever walk normal again??  (Read 17143 times)

Michelle K

Re: Will I ever walk normal again??
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:23 am »
Hello Jacqui,

It appears you and I may be sharing an anniversary together.  My surgery is also scheduled for 2/2/10 with Dr. Brackmann and HEI in Los Angeles.  Would love to stay in touch with you to see how you're doing pre and post op.  I also have some balance issues, but not as prevelant as what you are going through.  I've also heard about the balance improving after surgery, once the "mixed messages" are eliminated.  But it does also appear that it may take some time.  And I understand the vestibular therapy has been very beneficial for a lot of people on the forum.  Best wishes to you for a successful outcome with your surgery.  I'll be right there with you!

Michelle
1.7cmx1.23cmx.8mm, diagnosed Nov 11, 2009. Translab surgery completed w/ Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Brackmann, and Dr. Ursich (fellow) at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, CA, on 2/2/10.  SSD (no hearing preservation attempted), very mild balance issues, no facial issues, counting my lucky stars so far!

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Hi Michelle

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery.  What sort of surgery are you having? I have received some vestibular exercises from Jan (thankyou so much Jan) and being an avid sports nut I will be pumping them out in not time.  I am determined to be up and about as soon as I can.  I dont want to waste anymore of my life on this intruder!

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

TP

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »
Being a body builder and horse rider I feel very confident you are going to regain your balance. You have strong muscles and I believe that helps greatly in recovery. Hang in there, you are going to feel better in the future!!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Michelle K

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 10:18:29 am »
Hi Jacqui,

I'm having translab as well, same date.  We will both be going through similar situations, so please do keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.  I know your surgery will go well, and being as disciplined as you are with your sports, I'm sure you will recover as quickly as possible.  Give yourself a break though.  You sound like you have high expectations for yourself, so we probably have similar personalities.  I have a tendency to get bummed out if things aren't moving forward as quickly as I think they should be.  So, feel free to vent at any time if you're feeling frustrated. 

Would you mind forwarding those vestibular exercises from Jan to me as well?  I'd sure appreciate that.

Michelle
1.7cmx1.23cmx.8mm, diagnosed Nov 11, 2009. Translab surgery completed w/ Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Brackmann, and Dr. Ursich (fellow) at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, CA, on 2/2/10.  SSD (no hearing preservation attempted), very mild balance issues, no facial issues, counting my lucky stars so far!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »
Would you mind forwarding those vestibular exercises from Jan to me as well?  I'd sure appreciate that.

Michelle

Michelle -

I can send them to you if you want.  Just PM me your email address.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kiwi Don

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »
Hi Jacqui,
How's life in the Naki??
Sorry I have been off line for a couple of weeks and missed your initial post, welcome to the AN family.
Do take Jan up on her offer of the Vestibular exercises, they have helped me while I await a date for surgery up in Auckland.
Don't let this get you down, it's just a speed bump on the road of life.
Hang in there, and if you want to talk PM me and I will give an email and phone number

Rgds
Don

The other Kiwi in the Forum
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

Seal

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 08:06:51 am »
Jaqui,

I was in your same situation one year ago, and yes, the balance does get much better.    I was having severe balance problems leading up to my surgery date including even falling into and through a plate glass bookcase while taking off my pants one night!!!      I was fine, but the bookcase didn't fare so well!    You should see an immediate improvement right after the operation.     The balance will not be perfect, just better.     As time goes on with your post op recovery, you should see gradual improvement over the following months.    I did notice big improvements at 6-8 weeks and even more improvement 8 months later.  So patience will be your virtue in dealing with the extended recovery.    The only thing that will not come back is balance in the dark or with your eyes closed.  Since you will only have one good nerve left, the brain relies more on your vision and that one nerve to reprogram your balance.     Otherwise, you will be glad to see the improvement in the coming months.    Your sporty background will help ALOT in your recovery, and as someone said, your brain is already compensating before the operation.   So you may find a more immediate recovery than others.   

Good luck and keep us updated.

Regards,
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Michelle K

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:42 pm »
Hey Jacqui/Kiwi,

I'm out of surgery and wanted to wish you the best of luck on you on yours!  I know you will do great.  I can't tell you what a relief it was just to get it done with.  The worrying and anticpation leading up to it was unbearable, and now that it is done, I can finally relax and focus on healing.  A couple of things that I found really really helpful.  Make sure someone stays with you in your hospital room at least the following night out of ICU, or more.  My mom stayed the first night, and my husband the second, and they were both immensely helpful.  The nurses were great, but it was really nice just to have someone there at your bedside.  If you have those resources, take advantage.  The other advise, get out of bed as soon as you're able.  I felt a million times better once I was able to get up and sit down, and/or walk around a bit.  Anyway, let me know if you need anything or if you have any last minute questions.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Michelle

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 08:35:20 am »
Hi Kiwi:  I never had balance problems pre-op,  but today, 3 1/2 years post op, I took a nose dive as I entered the lobby of my workplace - all I could say after I was helped up was " What an entrance !, I don't have a balance nerve on my right side."  & now the song that keeps running through my head is "I get knocked down, but I get up again.... ! !"
Hang in there Kiwi.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

goldlady

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 07:28:40 pm »
Kiwi and Joanne
I hope your surgery the both of you had turned out okay. My prayers are with you.
The balance issues before surgery is different after. It does eventually get better because your body compensates for itself. Depending on how much of the balance nerve was damaged and the movement of the brain during surgery. I had a large 5cm tumor removed 10 years ago and for 2 months after surgery I needed help. I had to learn to walk because I could not just lift my feet to move the brain was not communicating to my legs.

My sister took me in the pool to walk back and forth and to do exercise it really helps. 

I could not get hurt on a hard surface because you are in water.  Do the balance exercises they give you and it will help.  I still experience balance issues when I have swelling and a headache but it goes away in a day or so.

Good luck
Cathy :)
Live each day to its fullest!
Translabyrinthine Craniotomy June 2000
5cm  Right AN
Jackson Memorial Hospital-Miami, Florida
Dr.Hero's/Dr.Blakeney
Hearing Loss/Facial paralysis/Balance lost

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:08 pm »
Yes hang in there Kiwi.

Nancy, you made me laugh.  I think that is going to be my theme song from now on.  A few weeks ago I went for some vestibular rehab, took the bus home, was cutting through the mall parking lot to pop in a grocery store and a fell in front of the McDonald's.  This lovely older Italian man came to rescue.  My purse went one way, my sun glasses the other.  I also ripped both knees out of my pants.  He helped pick me up, gathered my purse and sun glasses and insisted on buying me coffee in the McDonald's.  Here it turned out he knew my father-in-law from years ago when my father-in-law delivered bread for Pane Del Sole.  What a small world!

I told my husband and sons what happened.  My husband laughed and my sons were mortified.  What can I say, I lost all dignity when I gave birth almost 23 years ago to my 1st son, so what's a little tumble in front of a McDonald's close to home?

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 10:38:07 am »
Kiwi:

I'm almost 2 years post-op & I hadn't noticed much improvement with my balance for a long time. In the past few weeks, that has changed. I find it easier to look around as I enjoy my morning walks. I also find that my neck's flexibility has improved--I can turn my head farther.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LisaP

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »
Good luck on your up coming surgery, when will it be?

I am having some balance issues but it appears not as bad as yours.  I tend to stagger to the right (AN is on the right), if I move too fast, up or down, I get dizzy easily.   Also being a passenger in a car that makes a lot of stop and goes, I tend to get motion sickness.  Hang in there and best wishes.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

geekmama

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:07 am »
I am so glad to find this post because I have horrible vertigo.  I can't wait for surgery.  I am staying home doing nothing pretty much.  I have 2 weeks until surgery.  Sometimes I worry that I'm extra sick and there's something bigger wrong with me so I'm happy to see someone else who has such symptoms before surgery.  I hope everything has worked out if you've had surgery.
Aileen
3.2 cm X 2.3 cm AN diagnosed 2/5/2010
Surgery 4/23/2010
Second surgery for infection 5/11/2010
Dr. McKenna and Dr. Barker at MGH
Back to pre-tumor functioning 1/2012

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 07:53:57 pm »
Hi Aileen

I had surgery 4 weeks ago and I now walk my dogs over the farm for an hour everday.  I am so glad my balance improved greatly after surgery, although its not 100% its a lot better than before surgery.  I hope you experience the same results as me.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010