Author Topic: New Years resolutions for 2010?  (Read 8916 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

New Years resolutions for 2010?
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:34:43 am »

OK I “think” I plan to reduce my coffee consumption… (That should please ole Pearly Whites  ;D  ;))

How about you “Scotty” (AKA Jim Scott) are you going to keep up the java jive… or become an herbal tea nut?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULXnVTRynY
HMMM…I don’t know, the guy in the yellow jacket 8)  here (aka Jim Scott  ;) ) may not be as affective if he was drinking chamomile tea...

What about the rest of you? What will you resolve?

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New Years resolutions for 2010?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »
I think Jim Scott will be effective no matter what he drinks  :) 

My resolutions are pretty much the norm - get my finances into shape, lose weight, exercise, stop working such long hours @ my day job, etc. 

I've also decided to try something I read in a magazine last night.  The suggestion was to write down 3 things each day that you are thankful for - it's supposed to help you focus on the positives in your life and keep a good attitude.

I started the list today with the ANA Forum, my BAHA, and my children - who sometimes aggravate me, but bring a lot of wonderful things to my life   ;D

I also plan to do a random act of kindness daily; started that one yesterday afternoon.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:49 pm »
I make the same resolution every time: to write 2010 on the first check of the year. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »
My resolution for 2010 is to NOT START SMOKING - since I have never been a smoker, I feel fairly confident that this is one resolution I can keep (& that will be a new concept!!)!!   ;)

K    ;D  *...wishes I could be serious and have GREAT ones like Jan...*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »
My resolution is to find a cure, or darn near one, for my post-op headaches.  And get back to doing what I love, which is painting. I am tired of being a couch potato!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:04:21 am »
I make the same resolution every time: to write 2010 on the first check of the year. :)

Steve

Even when it was 2009?   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »
Steve may be ahead of our time and has been writing 2010 on checks for years in anticipation :D

I'm with Capt Deb with a little twist

cure my headaches with something that doesn't cause me other probelms ... I have enough problems without part of a cure being a new issue

Lose some weight .. couch potatoism has lead to excess poundage...and this my doctor is blaming on rise in colesterol and triglycerides ...one thing I have not had in past.. mom and dad both have colesterol problems and heart disease

get my girls bathroom finished ... was in middle of tiling when I had surgery so we have a bathroom with tile under antique clawfoot tub and tile .on lower half of wall behind and at ends of tub... toilet and two vanities still in boxes ...hubby not into tiling and for long time I just couldn't get on floor to finish...wall from top of tile to ceiling stucco look like I did our bath and it kills shoulders and neck so is still kinda scary to think about .. and then the whole thing  became easy to ignore ... but one bathroom for 4 people is for the birds ...especially when 2 of the people are 10 and 12 year old girls who "need their space" ::) ...

probaly top priority and most doable is the bathroom ... so setting goals ...bathroom by Feb 15th , 15 pounds off by March 15 ....and headaches, who knows ? ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
Yeah, lose weight, eat healthy, and I like the never start to smoke thing, because I, too, have never smoke and I resolve never to do it in the future.  That's a great resolution!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:52:33 am »
I went into Peet's coffee this morning for my newly reduced quota (you-all did not expect me to go cold turkey- did you now  ???...  ;) I need to reduce the caffeine slowly...  otherwise I will get a whopper headache like the one I had when I woke up from surgery.)

This afternoon I additionally went into a Starbucks in Portland, Oregon (Pearly Whites I ordered a DECAF... so you can lower your eyebrows now...  ;)  ) Ok Ok so I like going to coffee shops…I admit it.

There before me was a poster, on the door, that said "Now Hiring" ... with a photo of a barista named "Mike"... (Only gave his first name and not one mention of his book)

Yes there smiling at me at Starbucks, today, was a poster of our ANA buddy Michael Gates Gill... (I think he was smiling AT ME because in the afternoon I ordered a DECAF latte  ;)  instead of a regular ... trying to hold my resolution and all…)

Anyone one else see this poster of Mike up, this week, in your Starbucks?

I asked the young barista, who served me,
 "Do you know who the guy in the picture is?"

... and she said she never heard of him... SO I enlightened her.

She replied,
"Wow   :o there is a barista that is famous... and Tom Hanks wants to play him. WAY Cool!'

I was crammed in there with a bunch of afterschool teenagers (carpool parent driver of the day) and I was feeling like THE lone old fogy  :-\ amidst all those pimply kids. It was kind of a comfort to me to start the first day back at school, in the New Year, and have Mike (a fellow AN’er)  there smiling at me (even if only in a photo.)

Anyway that’s my reflection for today. I may be able to reduce my coffee consumption but I probably I will still go to coffee shops… just don’t think I can give that "experience" part up. Something nice about getting out of the cold rain for a break and having a warm bevy… I guess I just have to try ones that don’t have caffeine.

Any suggestions?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:01:04 am »
This afternoon I additionally went into a Starbucks in Portland, Oregon (Pearly Whites I ordered a DECAF... so you can lower your eyebrows now...  ;)  ) Ok Ok so I like going to coffee shops…I admit it.

You must resist.... you must resist.... you are strong.... you must resist...... ;)  :-*  :-*  :-*

xoxoxo
Pearly Whites  ;D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:38 pm »
But coffee smells so good, and it has such positive social connections!!  I have to limit myself to one cup of high octane a day, but just walking by a coffee shop makes me want another.  Guess that makes me understand addiction a little better because I always want more, especially now that the weather is cold and dreary.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »
But coffee smells so good, and it has such positive social connections!!  I have to limit myself to one cup of high octane a day, but just walking by a coffee shop makes me want another.  Guess that makes me understand addiction a little better because I always want more, especially now that the weather is cold and dreary.

Priscilla

Happy Belated Birfday, Priscilla! :)

I'm with you on this... I fresh grind my own beans at home. Guilty as well! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
I love the smell of coffee, but can't stand the taste. Just as well since I can't have caffeine anyway. No coffee or tea except decaf or herbal, no No-Doz, no Red Bull . . . no chocolate.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »
No chocolate?  No coffee?   That wouldn't be a New Years resolution for me - that would be a death sentence!   

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
Me too Lori.  Love my coffee and chocolate.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games