Author Topic: CSF leak. How long until safe?  (Read 27079 times)

loose screws (tightened)

CSF leak. How long until safe?
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:41:05 am »
After my middle fossa surgery last Nov. my Dr. could not warn me enough to not strain doing anything you can think of. He wanted to make absolutely sure that I wouldn't start leaking cerebral spinal fluid (CSF). Does the danger of leaking CSF dissipate with time? If so how long? It was the one thing I forgot to ask him at my last appointment and I don't go back for a year.

Thanks
Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: CSF leak. How long until safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:26 am »
Uh-oh.  Thanks for asking this, Mike.  I would like to know that too.  I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out and I was just carrying boxes of Christmas stuff out to the shed....I hope that wasn't a mistake!  (They weren't super-heavy, but the were definitely more than 10 lbs.)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Tamster

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »
HI both of you.
I checked my notes, and the doc said not to lift more than ten lbs for at least 4 weeks.

Here's a thread from last year with others wondering about this:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6653.0

As for the danger of a Csf leak, I'm not sure how long it's a concern. You and I are so different Lyn; I won't pick up a napkin I've dropped on the floor, and you're putting away storage boxes. I think this road is hard enough without any setbacks to make it harder.

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:49:15 pm »
My theory is that CSF leaks happen - sometimes with no rhyme or reason - but it's definitely a good idea to not lift heavy objects (time frame at least 4 - 6 weeks from what I recall) and you shouldn't bend at the waist (basically put your head below your knees) for a period of time post op.

Somewhere on the Forum there's a thread about CSF leaks and how long they can occur, which amazed me at the time because I think they can happen for a long time post op (perhaps 1+ years).  I can't find the specific thread, but maybe another "oldie" on the Forum can.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »
Tamster,
  BTW,  napkins are definetely way too heavy, and so are mops, brooms, toilet brushes, dusting cloths, etc, for at least....ummmm......I'd say 6 months, maybe a year,  definetely NO HOUSEWORK   LOL 
YIKES!! carrying boxes after only 2.5 weeks lawmama?  way to much.  take it easy.

Hope you had a great Christmas as a postie.  Now for my turn for #2   I only recall the 10lbs for 4 wks from #1,  From what I've observed on this site over the years, tanslab seem to leak more than mid fossa????  I thought I had one after mid fossa, was runing out my nose, but they said no,  now we'll see how it goes with Translab in 12 days.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:40:07 am »
Sorry!!!   :o

I do NOT recommend carrying boxes, I'm just horribly stubborn and apparently awful at taking it easy.  I've always been a person that has to be in perpetual motion and I absolutely cannot lay in bed and watch my house fall apart around me.  That would be detrimental to my MENTAL health.  I have a wonderful family, but they have jobs and just running me and the kids around for our appointments, to the grocery store, etc has been a strain on them.  They're maxed out!  Honestly, I'm doing a little more than I probably should be just because it has to be done and there is no one else to do it. 

No more boxes, though.  I promise.  AN scouts honor.  ;)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:56:31 am »
Tamster,
  BTW,  napkins are definetely way too heavy, and so are mops, brooms, toilet brushes, dusting cloths, etc, for at least....ummmm......I'd say 6 months, maybe a year,  definetely NO HOUSEWORK   LOL 
YIKES!! carrying boxes after only 2.5 weeks lawmama?  way to much.  take it easy.

Hope you had a great Christmas as a postie.  Now for my turn for #2   I only recall the 10lbs for 4 wks from #1,  From what I've observed on this site over the years, tanslab seem to leak more than mid fossa????  I thought I had one after mid fossa, was runing out my nose, but they said no,  now we'll see how it goes with Translab in 12 days.

patti ut

Hmmmmmmmm l definitely like that no housework could you please write a script to my family........
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

kmancini

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:09:18 am »
Hi.  I have had CSF leaks for almost a year after my surgery.  I had 5 surgeries and 2 lumbar drains to try to stop them.  I was not aloud to lift anything heavy than a pair of shoes for about 6 weeks.  I had to sneeze with my mouth open and try not to cough.  I had to sleep sitting up when I got a leak.  They let me go for a couple of weeks with them but had to watch for headaches and fever.  To this day I try not to lift anything to heavy.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:30:08 am »
Hi.  I have had CSF leaks for almost a year after my surgery.  I had 5 surgeries and 2 lumbar drains to try to stop them.  I was not aloud to lift anything heavy than a pair of shoes for about 6 weeks.  I had to sneeze with my mouth open and try not to cough.  I had to sleep sitting up when I got a leak.  They let me go for a couple of weeks with them but had to watch for headaches and fever.  To this day I try not to lift anything to heavy.

Karen

I am so sorry you had to endure so many surgeries you wonder why some are easy and others are not.. hoping you never have to go through that ever again....

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I have to lift a lot of heavy things when I go back to work in 2 weeks. Were talking 75 lbs about 20-40 times each morning. I really don't want to blow out my fat plug and end up back in the ER.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Tamster

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:16:02 pm »
Hi Mike
Seems like we should gradually work up to lifting what we once did. Why not send Dr. Brackmann a quick email? It's such a good question and would take him two minutes to respond to.

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:48 pm »
Mike -

I'm with Tamster.  Please check with your doctor to get his okay before doing such heavy lifting. 

Better safe than sorry.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:08 pm »
Yeah Mike, thanks for asking this...I too didn't think about asking that question.  I've been taking it easy but at some point I will have to do pick things up again that are heavy.  And Lyn...CHILL OUT! lol! Seriously girl, take it easy...it's hard, I know...but easier to take a few weeks out rather than more, eh?
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:28 am »
Definitely see what the doctor says please do not take any chances let's all start the New Year off safe and know are limitations and most of all be careful....

Regards,

Pat

Tom Browning

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

Karen

Hi Karen,
I had a CSF leak two weeks after my first surgery. They went back in and resealed everything, and I also had to have a lumbar drain.  Because I couldn't move at that time I developed a blood clot the entire length of my leg after getting home.  So whenever I think of having another CSF leak I get nervous and almost sick to my stomach.  (like everytime I have the metalic taste in my mouth)  I'm sorry you had to go through it 5 times.  I can't even imagine that one.  But I'm 8 weeks post op, doing physical therapy, and I'm back at the gym.  But now I'm thinking I'll really ease up on the weights. 
Good luck
Tom