Author Topic: I cannot live with these headaches!!!  (Read 13099 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: I cannot live with these headaches!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
Hey there Mama!  How are you doing? Any change with the dreaded headache monster?  Inquiring minds want to know!! Sure hope you are felling a little better and sending many healing Huggles your way.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:30:20 pm »
yeah Mama

Hope the headaches are subsiding - Deb's references are the way to go

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Mei Mei

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 12:07:11 pm »
Dear Law Mama,
I just noticed this today and wished I jumped in sooner because I suffer from the same post surgical headaches and I think stem from the terrible pinched nerve in my neck and tight shoulders from being on the rack in that 9 hour surgery of mine.

Like Capt Deb I use the ThermaPhor on my back and shoulders and what a relief.   But I have to tell you about what my Primary Care doctor gave me a few weeks ago that took away the pinched nerve in my neck:
Samples and a prescription for the FLECTOR PATCH which is a patch that contains Flexeril that you can cut up into the spot that hurts and slap it on you for 12 hours.   You don't feel the medication but the pinched nerve went away.   I'm still waking up with headaches and that's a problem, but at least I don't have to deal with the pain in the neck.

I take Topamax for the headaches and have for years (200mg)  that's a different story.  The new story is the Intercranial Pressure headaches that we are now having.   My PT says it is the head getting used to the Titanium plate on the skull???  I'll have to ask the doctor on my Post Op visit on Feb 22.   Whatever it is I wish it would stop.   It is manageable by Extra Strength Tylenol.  I just can't spend too much time on the laptop or I start to get another headache from bending my head.   I take a morning nap and an afternoon nap and go to bed at 8:30.   I'm lucky I have the luxury to be able to do this and have the help around the house.

I will ask if it's OK to go to the accupuncturist.   I was afraid to do that because I had brain surgury and the accupuncturists put the needles up there.   I will wait for clearance from the neurosurgeon regarding the accupuncture, but it really helps with relaxation and headaches. 

Take care,

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 05:08:12 pm »
Thanks for checking in on me.  Sorry I didn't notice this until today! 

I have been doing very well.  I still have occasional headaches, but they aren't debilitating like my earlier headaches were.  Now I can usually head them off with an Aleve if I feel them coming and I have only had to take Fioricet occasionally when they get out of hand (I've only had to do this 5-6 times). 

I believe my early headaches were from tightness in my neck from the surgery.  It took a few weeks of being on muscle relaxers, massages, and just time to heal that.  I feel very fortunate that there does not seem to be permanent damage to that area that would lead to permanent headaches.

For those of you still suffering with headaches, my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you.  I suffered with headaches for just a very few weeks and I cannot imagine what it feels like to deal with them for months or years.  I hope medical advancement ease your suffering.

Again, thanks to Cap Deb and everyone else who provided me with good advice and support.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

wise78283

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:58:53 pm »
Yes I've been there too and so sorry to hear about this.  It helps to know others understand the level of head pain one can have.  And you are right it does come from the neck.  I moved to San Antonio TX to get better medical care than I was receiving in Tacoma.   I found Dr. Brian Perry who is brilliant and who recognised immediately that I had developed synkensis in my face.   The  head pain was a separate issue and caused from stress to the trigiminal nerve threading up through the c spine (neck) and by the vestibular nerve that was removed. 

This is the link to information and questions.  I could answer yes to all of the questions locating the source of my pain.  In the month I have been receiving treatment I think my pain has been reduced 80 percent without anything but a muscle relaxer.   I was so desperate from the pain I couldn't imagine living like this.  There were times I wanted to call the ambulence and could not even stand up.  I thank God to have found this help, today I literally cried tears of joy for the relief of not suffering like I was  http://www.texasheadache.com/about/index.php

I know people come from out of state for their treatment.   I was giving up hope and I understand now that things get better and there is an answer.    Take care!   Caroline :)