Author Topic: Placing the Head Frame was Worst Experience Imagineable  (Read 11483 times)

Shaylashnl

• Life Out Loud!
Re: Placing the Head Frame was Worst Experience Imagineable
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 01:40:57 am »
Sacking,

I know this post is a couple years old now but I'm new here and I just need to tell you what a relief it was to see your post. I was reading everyone else's posts and thinking that perhaps I was defective because my frame placement was excruciating.

I just had radiosurgery this past Friday and I've had extreme swelling as well. I spent five hours blind yesterday because both eyes were swollen shut. I just wanted to say thanks for helping me know I'm not the only one.  :)
4mm AN diagnosed 4/30/13, after spontaneously going deaf in one ear
Novalis SRS 7/12/13
Still unstoppable

"One regret, dear world,
That I am determined not to have
When I am lying on my deathbed
Is that
I did not kiss you enough." - Hafiz

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:30 am »
I was fortunate. They put me to sleep for about 20 minutes. While I was asleep my scalp got a local. When I awoke it was on. Didn't feel a thing. Removal was painless after the GK. Sore spots went away in a week. Pin marks disappeared within a week or two after that.

I suggest that everybody who has GK ask for anesthesia during the head frame process.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

robinb

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
I am just so glad I hadn't seen any of these posts before I had GK, otherwise might have not gone ahead with it. Sorry to hear of such bad experiences, but this seems to be way out of the usual outcomes.

The headframe scared me the most, but for me, felt almost nothing and remember almost nothing of the whole experience.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

lizjohnson11

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:42 pm »
Very sorry you had such a painful experience. I had GK on July 11, 2013 at Harborview Hospital in Seattle with Dr. Rockhill from the University of Washington. I did not have a problem with the frame. There was one front screw that I said ouch to twice so I was given more lidocaine. I have a small scar at that sight only. I was given medication before the procedure that helped me relax. I was also given pain meds and anti nausea meds to help when I needed it. The cat scan people jerked my head and frame around a lot and had trouble getting my frame locked in to their machine. When I told my nurse this she immediately brought me pain meds.
I was also happy when a nurse from Harborview called to see how I was feeling and then asked about my experience. I was able to tell her what was good and the frustration with the cat scan. Just the fact they ask to improve their care was impressive.
I am glad you plan to talk o your doctor about why you had this experience. Best of luck to you.