Author Topic: surgery scheduled  (Read 4042 times)

kimmccann

surgery scheduled
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:15:14 am »
Going in Jan. 5 to Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC for AN removal, Dr.s Gutin and Selesnick! Glad to see recent thread re: neck issues; had an instinct to alert dr.s of ruptured cervical disks 2 years ago and glad I've now given them MRI report from that injury - hopefully will lead them to be cautious re: positioning head and manipulating neck ... Found great resource online at www.caringbridge.org to set up dedicated/secure web-page re: updates for family/friends/co-workers (www.caringbridge.org/visit/kimmccann); it's free and super-easy to construct (mine is being administered by one of my kids) - check it out and pass along if you know others who might benefit :) Folks can leave messages in the Guestbook, get updates from the Journal sent to their own e-mails, etc. All end-users need to do is provide their e-mail addresses and pick passwords for their access to the web-page  ;)
Kim McCann

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:28:41 am »
Hi Kim,

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.  I'm very glad you alerted your doctors to your past back/neck issues.  I have had problems since my surgery with some pretty horrible pain in the back of my head from tight muscles in my neck.  (Although, to be fair I am only two weeks out).   I have hope that mine is going to get better, but I think if you can escape it altogether that is certainly a better route!

I will visit your caringbridge and keep up with your surgery.  By the way, what type of procedure are you having (retrosigmoid, translab, middle fossa, etc)?  Just curious.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:38 am »
Good luck with your upcoming surgery my AN was removed in July by Dr. Selesnick and Dr. Stieg at NY Presby., I just loved Dr. Selesnick excellent surgeon but very straight forward he will personally follow you on a daily basis in the hospital to make sure you are doing okay...I heard the other surgeon's name by other postings and he seems to be highly recommended also, it sounds like you are in good hands with both surgeons....Please PM me if you need to talk.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:23:24 am »
Kim -

congrats on making your treatment decision; never an easy choice.

I hope things work out well for you; you are in good hands.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:12:40 pm »
Best of Luck!
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:03:40 pm »
Kim ~

Thanks for posting and letting us know about your upcoming surgery.  You're in good hands, at a fine hospital and I think you'll do quite well.  The CaringBridge links are also appreciated.

I've taken the liberty of adding your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar'   http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d05/01/2010.    Now, you're famous!  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »
Good luck Kim! Sounds like you've done your homework, now all is left is getting your surgery done!! Let us know how it goes, when you can!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston