Author Topic: I'm back and I'm a Postie!!!  (Read 12722 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
I'm back and I'm a Postie!!!
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:03:03 am »
Hi everyone.  I was released yesterday.  WOOHOO!!!  Dr. Antonelli said I'm a star patient.  I cannot believe how well I have done.  If someone had told me I would be this well just four days after brain surgery, I wouldn't have believed it.  I'm still very uncomfortable, and I ache, but I'm moving around well and some of the spinning is settling a bit so I'm pretty steady on my feet.  I really, truly believe the key was getting up and moving as soon as they would let me.  That and taking some liquids and then solids as soon as offered to regain my strength.  As soon as I felt nausea, I asked for medication and they were able to keep it at bay.  That made it possible for me to put something on my stomach.

I am SSD.  Unfortunately, I was one of the rare 10% or so that the tumor actually grew from the hearing nerve.  My doctor said (if I am remembering correctly and this isn't the drugs talking) that the tumor was situated very deep in my IAC between the branches of the vestibular nerve, so as it grew it kept stretching those and that is why my dizziness and balance was so bad and never would regulate.  He said he is amazed I could still hear so well with the tumor onn my hearing nerve.  Either way, I'm thankful the tumor is gone.  I figure, my hearing was really already gone.  It was just a matter of time anyway.  I'm looking at the positive. 

My facial nerve is perfect.  It wasn't touching, or even close, so I never had even any weakness.

Right now I'm just trying to heal and rest as much as possible.  I look forward to a shower today in my own home (when I got home last night I was too tired to try).  One neat thing about being SSD is that if you lay on the "good" ear, you can sleep through anything.  I've always been a light sleeper, so that has been nice, particularly when I was in the noisy hospital.  Still, it is a little strange to go from full hearing to complete deafness in that ear.  It will take some getting used to. 

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts.  For those going after me, you are goiing to feel awful for the first day or two, but just remember that every minute that passes is another minute you won't have to do again and it puts you that much closer to feeling better.  I'm saying prayers for you.  Thanks and I'm off to take a nap!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: I'm back and I'm a Postie!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:15:16 am »
Oh, one other thing.  I seem to have very little tinnitus.  It is a little like white noise, maybe like static on a TV, but it doesn't seem too unpleasant or even very loud.  Maybe because they took the hearing nerve too?  Either way, I'm thankful.  So blessed!!! 
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:28 am »
Lyn~
SO glad that things are going well for you!!  Remember that you still might have days that aren't so good - & that is OK...listen to your body and use that as your guide.  You probably will get more tired, sooner, in the days and weeks to come - take a nap when you need to!
So glad your facial nerve was not affected!  Hopefully, you will get used to the SSD and if not, there are option to help!  I LOVE that I can lay on my good side - sure helped when the girlies were little!!  ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lynn Mc

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 07:38:36 am »
So nice to hear from you.  Congrats on being a postie & feeling so good.  Nice to hear they did not touch your facial nerve & all is well.  I to am really close to SSD & sleep on my good ear , it really shuts out all the noises I don't need to hear.  Take care of yourself.
Thinking positive thoughts for you.

Lynn
Life Is Good
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:48:34 am »
Lyn -

wonderful to have you back; glad things are going so well!

We were just worrying about you yesterday, but I was confident you'd be posting soon - just didn't realize it would be this soon  ;D

The SSD takes some time getting used to - and lots of people adapt to it just fine.  Some of us never adapt and we opt for "assistance" like a BAHA or a TransEar - something to think about at a later date once you've had more time to heal.

Get plenty of rest; AN surgery is exhausting.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:29 am »
Lawmama, that's wonderful. Congrats on having the hardest part behind you, and a great outcome!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 07:53:18 am »
Lyn .....

There have been lots of mothers and fathers on this forum pacing, wondering how you were .....  So glad to hear that everything went so well!  As Kay said, you could still have some not so good days and that is OK, just know that the good ones far outnumber the not so good.

Keep letting us know how things are progressing.

Welcome to postie land!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:27:52 am »
Lyn, We are always so glad to hear of the star patients and am so glad it is going well for you!     Only other ANers could call it well!  LOL!
   Just don't push yourself as it really does get better in time with the tiredness and odd feelings!            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:28 am »
Lyn,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news and welcome to the club!  Take it easy and get lots of rest.

BTW, does reading or being on the computer make you dizzy at all?  I found it wasn't too bad, even after only a few days.  I did limit myself to about 10-15 minutes per session, but never really noticed it causing any issues.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:20:44 am »
Congratulations, Stargirl!  I am so pleased that you came through with flying colors.  I remember the euphoria I felt after going through BRAIN SUGERY, by golly!  As Kay said, let your body set the pace .  There probably will be some days when you just need to stay in your pj"s, and that is okay.  You sound like you are in great spirits, and I hope your Christmas is wonderful. :)\\Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:38 am »
Congrats, Lyn - great to hear from you and hear such a positive report!  Yes, the SSD is odd, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly, I'll bet.  And, I think you're right about getting moving as soon as they let you - that seems to be the best thing to do for the vestibular system.  So, keep moving, but DO take your naps also ;D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:02 am »
So glad to hear everything went great just remember you feel good but your body went through major brain surgery take it easy and do not overdo it be careful it is okay to put your feet up.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

ombrerose4

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:44:16 am »
Congratulations on your sucessful surgery and welcome to the world of posties. Take your time and enjoy your recuperation, but like everyone else has already said 'naps' are really good for you and the healing process. So don't feel guilty about closing your eyes and snuggling with your pillow! Have an easy recovery.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:12:11 am »
Yay, Lyn - great news!!!  I, too, had my AN as far back in IAC and lost my hearing and have white static for tinnitus but, otherwise, I have had a very speedy recovery and it sounds like you are headed that way!  Do rest these early weeks and don't overdo it...listen to your body...I didn't have great fatigue, but I did rest and listen to lots of soothing music early on to help heal the brain.  Can't wait to hear your progress and glad you are home with your family!
Cheryl
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:01:06 pm by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 10:21:05 am »
Hey, hey, there she is.

Great to hear you did okay, Lyn - or make that very well indeed! Glad you are feeling good.

Sleep tight and have a great holiday season.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.