Author Topic: It was a [BAHA] snap ... :)  (Read 2997 times)

Jeepers

It was a [BAHA] snap ... :)
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:29 am »
My BAHA BP100 snap was installed yesterday!

Jan and I have the same wonderful doc, Dr. Battista. Surg was scheduled for 7am at the Hinsdale Surgical Center. I was a little anxious - mainly because I've been having a problem with foot cramps lately and I was afraid they would knot up as soon as he started drilling.

As it happened I was all strapped in when they realized an important piece of the surgical tray was missing - so they let me go back to my waiting room while one of them ran over to the hospital, so there was a slight delay. Once everything started, it actually was a piece of cake - over in about 45 min. No pain and didn't creep me out in the least.

I wasn't - however - expecting the big baked potato-sized gauze over the site and the gauze "turban" !!  I had every intention of getting some Christmas shopping done the remainder of the day - so I had to go home and reassess my appearance. I tried putting my winter hat on ... nope ... you remember seeing pics of a gorilla wearing a derby, where the hat sits way up on top of its head? That's how I looked!  ;D
I eventually found a stretchier hat and was able to gently pull it down. Still looked dumb, but I HAD SHOPPING TO DO!!   :D

I made the shopping brief - just picked up a couple of gift cards - and what would have been a couple hrs after the fact, started feeling some pain. Nothing unbearable and never even took any meds for it.

I get to take the turban off tomorrow, so I'll be back to work.

I want to thank everyone who lends their advice here, but I especially thank JAN for the wonderful support and information she's provided. It's been very reassuring to be able to talk to someone with the same doctor.

BTW, Jan - I not only said "Hi" to Dr. Battista for you, I also told him how you and Lori send out the BAHA Recovery Kits. He wanted to know all about it and chuckled when I told him the contents!!

:)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Sam Rush

Re: It was a [BAHA] snap ... :)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:31:27 am »
What is in a BAHA recovery kit??
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
Jeepers -

I'm glad everything went well yesterday. 

I forgot all about the BAHA "head dress" that you are gifted with on your surgery day.  I'm surprised that you were able to fit a knit hat over it; I just wore mine the way it was.  It sounds like mine was a little different though - a white plastic "cup" stuffed with gauze attached to an adjustable elastic band.  Lori's doc gave her an even more interesting hat held together by string.

I went to a restaurant for lunch and attended my son's volleyball game in my "hat".  It  embarassed the heck out of my son, and drew some strange looks from others, but I didn't want to miss the game.  I think some of the strange looks were due to the yellow smiley face stickers the nurses attached to it.  I still regret that I removed them prior to the pictures I posted on the forum. 

The pictures are kind of super-sized, but here's the link  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6035.0

Glad Dr. Battista got a chuckle out of the BAHA Recovery Kit - he needs to laugh more; he tends to be a little too serious IMO.  But then again, laughter is what personally gets me through life; others may not need it in large doses  :D

Sam -

the Official BAHA Recovery Kit is something that Lori and I started on the Forum as kind of a joke, but then we turned it into a reality.  Our first recipient was Wendy (wendysig) who had her BAHA implant after you - and after Lori and me.  We send them out free of charge to those who have scheduled their BAHA surgeries.  I love the kits - they are full of good cheer and some basic, helpful items (I'd list the contents, but we try to keep that somewhat secret).  It's just a small way that Lori and I spread our enthusiasm for our BAHAs.  We've sent out about 25 since we began.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:20:17 pm »
Except of course that everyone knows they contain chocolate.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:13:30 pm »
Well, I looked at your pics, Jan ... nothing like what I've got! They went and put the huge wad of gauze over the site, but then wrapped gauze around my head just like at surgery, with my hair sticking straight out of the top. My hair's a bit shorter than yours, so maybe that's why.  :(

So - exactly how is this hair-washing-with-a-cup-held-over-the-site going to work?? I can't imagine some water is not going to sneak in ...

should I worry about this?
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:33 pm »

Sara

Absolutely.  Chocolate should NEVER be kept a secret  ;)  :D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »
Jeepers -

the cup theory, amazingly enough, works very well.  It's a little awkward to hold it while you shampoo, but it sure beats not being able to shampoo.

If a little water leaks in, it will be minimal and won't do any harm.  You just don't want to soak your site.

I still recall the nine long days post AN surgery where my hair got all gunked up EWWWWWW  :P

Jan

lori67

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:56:12 pm »

Sara

Well, they do now! 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.