Author Topic: The other shoe... (might be tmi)  (Read 21135 times)

lori67

Re: The other shoe... (might be tmi)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:13 am »
We can't shoot you now - you apparently just made a miraculous recovery from being dead to having a kidney stone!   :D

As yet another nurse here, I was really confused about how colon issues would cause blood in the urine also, but, hey, I worked with the other end of patients (their brains), so who knows, right?  Maybe something has changed since I did that chapter in nursing school.

Anyway, good news!  Definitely break out the rum to celebrate.  I'm with Jan, hold the nog.  Hope your kidney/gall bladder issues are taken care of quickly.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:45 am »
Well grrrrrrrrr to the gloom and doom doctor!  >:(  Sure glad you can now put all of this into perspective and move on with enjoying the upcoming holidays.

Keep us posted.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:30 pm »
Anissa ~

I'm not quite sure it's appropriate to offer congratulations on a diagnosis of kidney stones and gall bladder problems - but I guess they 'beat' a possible cancer diagnosis (and the risk of being shot). 

Seriously, I'm sorry to learn of these medical problems you're forced to deal with.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers - and those of many others.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »
Good to hear the good news which to many wouldn't be good news but to you and the rest of us has to be.    It sounded too much to me like 2 health problems going on at the same time to be what the dr was thinking!     I hope they get taken care of time!       Not the nicest holiday events but important no less!                        Cheryl R             
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »
Well, just shoot me ;).  From cancer to a kidney stone?  I'm so irritated right now.... I feel like I've been through the ringer. 

Yep you were through the emotional wringer! Celebrate the news...although a kidney stone is painful it is more easily treated.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

wendysig

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 11:38:18 am »
Hi Anissa,

Great news (comparatively speaking anyway).  I hope you are able to resolve your gallbladder/kidney stone issues without more surgery.  I had my gallbladder removed years ago (not much fun) before they were doing the laproscopic surgery, but my sister has had stones for years and since they don't bother her, she doesn't bother them (they were discovered during an ultrasound for something else).  As for the kidney stone, a friend of mine gets them and just has to have them blasted every couple of years.  He tells me that procedure is  a piece of cake.  Hope you're feeling better.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

tenai98

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 08:25:11 am »
Good news to hear......much better than colon cancer...what a roller coster ride....ANd I think us ANers take our health issues more seriously than before being dx with AN
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 10:07:39 am »
I would definitely change doctors and hold the egg in the egg nog more liquor is very good medicine for you right now.......we like this diagnosis much much better

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »
Just read this post and I'm glad everything has turned for the better. Docs need to be real careful throwing the C word around. Seems to me like there should be a class requirement in med school about delivery of bad news. While I was happy that my doc was so thorough in his examination and found my AN quickly when I got the word it was dellivered in a manner that caused a cold dread to come over me...albeit briefly. He called me and said the results orf the MRI showed a BRAIN TUMOR.......all further words were drowned out by the rush of emotions I felt...my Dad died from a brain tumor 25 years ago....the proverbially life flashing before my eyes...thoughts of how my wife and kids would do...then I realized he was still talking and asked him to repeat what he had said......"don't worry, it's benign". I never realized just how much of a shock to the system rapidly shifting emotions could be....I felt confused for the rest of the day.

Very glad to hear the "good" news.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »
Thanks you guys, you are so right.  Seriously, I've had a brain tumor (mostly) removed THIS YEAR.  I don't think I need to have the C word thrown about as an option.  After him saying that and then going back to kidney stones I've thrown all of it out and started over.  I consulted with a general surgeon about my gall bladder and he referred me to a urologist.  I have to get a new CT scan (Friday) before I see him next Wednesday.  Hopefully its nothing like a little stone causing trouble but now that I've heard the C word I can't just assume that its nothing.  Oh how life has lost innocence.  Its OK though because its my crazy life and well, I just wouldn't be me without it.   ;) ;D
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 07:02:22 am »
Anissa -

I like your attitude!

Good luck with the urologist.  Please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »
So I saw the urologist today and he did a thorough investigation.  He looked in my bladder and no tumors or anything else in there so just the 9mm kidney stone to deal with.  Its getting blasted this Friday.  He only gets the machine every other week and because of the holidays the next time he gets it is the 19th of January.  He thought better sooner than later. 

Wendy, thanks for the good words on the procedure.  The thought of it has me a little freaked out but "piece of cake" made me feel better.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 10:49:16 pm »
Wonderful news, Anissa  ;D

I'm relieved to know it's nothing more serious.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »
Whew!  Glad you got good news (better than the alternative)!  Never had stones but I hear they are no fun. Good luck!

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 07:38:16 am »
Anissa .....

I guess in the long run it is better to think things are horrible and then find out they are not nearly as bad, rather than the other way around.  However, I think you were needlessly put through the wringer on this one.  So glad it is a relatively easy treatment and you will soon be good as new.   :D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011