Author Topic: Balance issues after the BIG thanksgiving meal?  (Read 5317 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Balance issues after the BIG thanksgiving meal?
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:22:49 pm »

Hello fellow AN'ers who have the occasional balance slip up...

I started this thread over on the AN community and I am wondering if any of you may be able to answer my question, over there, re balance, wonky head and diet issues.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11201.0

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Balance issues after the BIG thanksgiving meal?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:56 am »
DHM -

saw your original post.  Didn't answer because I didn't have wonky head after a big Thanksgiving dinner.

Guess you can count me as a no.

Sorry I didn't respond before.

Jan  
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »
Same here...and I ate WAY too much.....then again I'm not a very good gauge...wonkiness and balance issues pretty much gone these days.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »
Same here...and I ate WAY too much.....then again I'm not a very good gauge...wonkiness and balance issues pretty much gone these days.

Good point, Bob.  I'm probably not a good guage either.  I only have wonkiness and balance issues when I'm over-tired and I slept late Thanksgiving morning.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
I was 3 weeks post-op on Thanksgiving and can say, without a doubt, that eating too much did not cause any balance issues.  I'm pretty sure that going without a nap that day did contribute to dizziness a few hours later, but eating like a pig did not  :P
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Dr. Dean

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:47 am »
Daisy Head Mazy

Of course, it also matters how much alcohol you drank, if any.
That aside, I also found a correlation between eating and wooziness.
Before I was diagnosed with a 15mm AN, I would get woozy on my after-dinner walks (wine or no wine).
It probably has something to do with your blood being shunted from your limbs (and probably cerebellum) to your digestive system.

Another thing that may be affecting you is “repetitive motion”.
After surgery I would get woozy washing the dishes; and after 23 people over for Thanksgiving, that’s a lot of dishes; it made me very woozy.

Since my GN surgery has shrunk my AN by 32%, and since I do my “cerebellum-resetting exercises,” I don’t get woozy any more after dinner; notwithstanding a nice bottle of wine.
You can find these great exercises at http://www.personalityfinesse.com/pdfshow.php?pdf=12 (ignore the ad).

I hope that this helps,

Dr. Dean

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:31:02 pm »
Thanks Dr Dean,

I WILL try the exercises.

DHM :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!