Author Topic: Cochlear BP100 vs Oticon Ponto Pro  (Read 11351 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Cochlear BP100 vs Oticon Ponto Pro
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:32 pm »
Today I tested the new Cochlear BP100 and the new Oticon Ponto Pro in a blind test comparison (I didn't know which was which until after the testing). 

In my opinion, the biggest difference between them are the features.  I wish I could take parts of each and combine them into one "Jan" processor  :D

The sound quality and amplification on them are pretty much identical.  I tested them in an exam room with just an audiologist and in a sound booth.  In the exam room I had my back to the audiologist and had to tell her if I could hear beeps @ different frequencies.  In the booth, she asked me to repeat words and listen for beeps both with and without background noise.  In the exam room, I heard no difference.  In the sound booth, the Oticon tested very slightly higher on the beeps - but I think that was because the volume on the BP100 wasn't turned up as high.

So it really comes down to what you are used to (in my case from wearing the Divino for the past 16 months) or what you'd prefer as far as features go.

I preferred the on/off and volume buttons at the top of the BP100.  I didn't like the volume button on the Ponto Pro - too small and hard to adjust.  The Ponto Pro has a delayed on button, but you basically attach and detach it from your head while it is on - which causes it to squeal (feedback) and I don't like that at all.  I currently attach and detach my Divino when it is turned off to avoid the squeals.  I often detach my Divino, replace the battery and reattach it without anyone knowing what I'm doing.  With the Ponto there would be two large squeals to alert everyone to look at me.  Not my idea of a good thing  ::) but something I could live with.

I preferred the battery access on the Ponto Pro - easier to get to than the BP100.  I preferred the attachment on the BP100 - snaps onto the abutment like the Divino; the Ponto Pro attachment goes around the abutment.  I don't think either attachment is a problem - but I'd have to learn how attach the Ponto Pro because it's different than the Divino.  In all fairness, though, not a huge learning curve.

The BP100 has 12 channels as opposed to 10 channels on the Ponto Pro.  The audiologist told me that's pretty relative (the Divino only has 2) but in my opinion why have 10 channels when you can have 12.  Channels are what help the processor deal with noisy and/or crowded rooms.  More channels mean better hearing in these types of situations - which is why Cochlear moved from 2 to 12 channels.

The one thing I didn't like on the BP100 was the replaceable Gore-Tex cover - and only because it's an additional ongoing cost.  The audiologist said Cochlear suggests you replace it every six months.  I was told that the initial device comes with 2 covers and then you have to order (and pay for) additional covers.  I'm not wild about having to pay additional money each year I wear the BP100.  The audiologist was going to check into the cost and get back to me.

In the meantime, I emailed Mike Corso (mikjul1) to ask about the covers.  Mike reports that his BP100 came with 6 "covers" - 3 years worth - and that covers cost about $80 for 6.  Not too huge a cost.  Plus I wonder if you really have to replace the cover every 6 months.  My Divino came with a little jar of beads to take the moisture out of it and 16 months later, I've never used it. 

At this point, I'm leaning towards the BP100.  Cochlear has a history of 30 years behind their BAHA devices (tried and true) and I'm a Cochlear volunteer so I have a big loyalty to the brand.  I've also had absolutely no problems with my Divino, which in my mind speaks volumes.

Oticon has a very good reputation as a maker of conventional hearing aids (per my neurotolgist) but the Ponto Pro is their first entry into the BAHA market.   

So to sum it up, I don't think you can wrong with either processor.  I'd look at the features of each and see what you think would be best for you.  Some of my preferences definitely have to do with the fact that I'm already wearing a processor; those who don't already have one might not care about my preferences.

Happy hearing!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

Re: Cochlear BP100 vs Oticon Ponto Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:31:50 pm »
Hey Jan,
Just wanted to let you know my BP100 came with 6 covers. I brush it after use and put it in the beads jar everyday. I was told you had to replace it because it collects dust and debris. I believe if you keep it clean, it should last for a long time. I've had mine 3 months, and it looks the same as the new ones still in the box.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:10 pm »
Thanks, Lisa.  Good to know.

And, you are MUCH better than I am.  I've never brushed my Divino  ::)  it's probably full of dirt and dust  :P  Will have to get out my toothbrush!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:51:42 pm »
Hi, Jan,

Thanks so much for the very thorough report on your BP100/Ponto Pro test!

I have a couple of questions. Do you store the BP100 in the Gore-Tex cover when you're not wearing it? Sefra's post makes me think that one puts it in the bead jar after putting the cover on, which makes me wonder what purpose the cover has.

Are you going to have the chance to test both devices out in the real world of noisy restaurants, etc?

Is the BP100 about the same size as your Divino?

As I've mentioned on this forum, I wear the BAHA Intenso rather than the Divino. The audiologist at House believes that Cochlear will be coming out with a replacement for the Intenso (maybe a BP200??) at some point, so I'm quite interested in what you decide to do in your situation.

Looking forward to your next post about this,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:07:38 pm »
Catherine -

I did a little more reading up on the BP100 (on the Cochlear website) and found that the Gore-Tex cover is what they refer to as the battery cover.  Aptly named because it does cover the battery  :D

And according to the brochure I picked up in the doc's office "the BP100's Gore-Tex membranes cover the microphone ports, and are designed to reduce the amount of perspiration and dust that enters the device".  Supposedly this will allow the wearer to enjoy "amplification all day long - even when you are lounging by the pool, exercising, or riding a dirt bike in the desert".  This is followed by a note that one should NOT immerse the device in water, wear it in heavy rain, the shower, or when bathing  :D

I didn't get to test either device out in the real world, but the sound booth tests did include background noise so I got a fairly realistic picture of what it would be like.  The BP100 brochure claims that "even when it's noisy" the BP100 will help you because it has "an automatic directional microphone and noise management system" - I think this is where the 12 channels come in.

The BP100 is about the same size as the Divino - but the "stem" on the Divino (part that attaches to the abutment) is a little longer than the one on the BP100.  The BP100 sits closer to the skull.  The Ponto Pro is about the same size also, it's just a different shape.  Oticon considers it to be "aerodynamic". 

The next logical step for Cochlear would be an upgraded Intenso - and I'm betting that Oticon will enter their own device to compete with it.

Jan

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:48 am »
Hi Catherine,

I do put the cover in the jar with the BP100, but I take it off the device and remove the battery first. I just make sure that the BP100, is facing up, so that none of the beads get inside.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »
I talked to a member of the Cochlear upgrade team this morning and was told that the BP100 comes with 5 covers (the one on the processor and 4 replacements) and that additional covers will cost $75 for 2.

I also asked her quite frankly why someone would choose a BP100 over a Ponto Pro and was told that there is lots of info about that on the Cochlear Community website (separate from their Cochlear Americas website).  The rep also told me that Oticon has no support system in place for the Ponto Pro, which makes me wonder how prepared they'd be for issues, etc.

Obviously Cochlear isn't going to tell anyone to buy Oticon's product; just wanted to share this information for those trying to decide between the two devices.

As for me, I'm 98% certain I'm going with the BP100 and will purchase it in the New Year.  I plan on funding it through my flexible spending plan @ work and I'm out of funds for 2009  :(

Jan

ombrerose4

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:26:30 pm »
Hi Jan,

Wow, that was a great detailed report, thank you so much. I am scheduled for my BAHA procedure 1/4 so I was really looking forward to hearing about your trial. I was curious about the Oticon and the differences between that and the BP100. I am glad to see the differences are not many, so I will stick with my doctor's choice of the BP100. He feels that Coclear's experience with the BAHA is an important part of the whole experience (he calls them the 'gold' standard of BAHA's). I wish you and your family and the entire AN family a healthy, happy Thanksgiving. We all have much to be grateful for.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »

I'm out of funds for 2009  :(

Jan

You too?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:59:01 pm »

Jan and Lisa (Sefra),

Thank you both for the additional information -- I'll follow your progress with great interest, and hope that all goes well with the BP100!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 05:59:11 am »
Thanks for the info. Didnt know there was a cover with the BP100.  guess I'll find out all I need to know either on here (lol) or when I finally get my BAHA in April.  So looking forward to it. Doc said surgery site is healing fast.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:34:42 pm »

I'm out of funds for 2009  :(

You too?

Only in my flexible spending plan; thankfully.

Other than that, although it's not easy supporting myself and two growing teenagers, I have decided to sponsor the ANA Symposium again in 2011.  I have already made my initial contribution and will finish funding that in 2010  ;D

Not to get on a soapbox or anything, but tax-deductible contributions can help you save on taxes - so it's something to especially do at year-end.  If anyone is looking for a particularly worthy cause, please consider the ANA.

Jan