Author Topic: Wii Fit Plus  (Read 6945 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Wii Fit Plus
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:15 am »
Just curious - has anyone tried the new Wii Fit Plus?  I got the upgrade (only $20 bucks for current Wii Fit owners) and gave it a test drive this weekend.  There are no new balance games, but some of the hand-eye coordination games are great for balance!  There is one where you "bump" balls with your hip - I looked like a total spaz when I was doing it, but can see where it would help in working on the eye-balance stuff.  And, its good for lots of laughs.

Anyone else tried it?  Any favorites among the new games?

Debbi (making myself giggle)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Wii Fit Plus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:03:24 am »
Hey Debbi -

How do current owners get the upgrade for $20? I have seen it in the stores, but haven't looked into a purchase. It would be a great family Christmas gift.

I thought that I did not have any balance issues after surgery, until I went to the St. Louis Botanical Garden last month and walked along a zig-zag plank pier in the Japanese Garden. With the sun sparkling off the water, all of a sudden I was unsure of where to step, how far down to place my foot, etc. Considering that I have 15 - 20% hearing loss on the left side, I probably have that much balance impairment as well and simply do not notice it except under certain circumstances.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:54 am »
Sara
If you already own the WII fit board, all u have to do is purchase the WII fit plus CD...if not then you need to buy the whole kit
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:57 am »
Thanks, Jo, I think all I have seen is the entire kit.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:23:25 pm »
Oh, I had to reply to this one to get all the comments.  I was online earlier today checking prices for them because a friend told me to try it.   

We have the Wii, but no balance board or anything, so I need to research it more.  I found Target to be the best price.

Good topic idea, thanks
Denise ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:03 am »
I got mine through Amazon and it was $19.95 (I already had the balance board).  I must say that some of the new exercises are really challenging!  I was laughing so hard last night that I kept teetering off the board.  When the "voice" comes on and observes that balance doesn't "seem to be your strength" I have to crack up - I want to tell her that OF COURSE my balance is bad (brain tumor, duh.)

Sara, this would be a great Christmas gift.  We got our Wii Fit last year for Christmas and had so much fun playing with it with the family.  We don't have any young kids in the family, but it was most amusing to watch the parents, who are in their 70's and 80's, showing us "kids" how it is done!  They whupped my butt.

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

moe

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:12:12 am »
Debbi,
I haven't tried the addition one yet, but thanks for the tidbit!
I have mastered all the games on the WII fit, but still enjoy doing it. I still like the yoga and strengthening and balance games. Don't care for the the aerobics as much.
It will be nice to try something new.
I'll let you know what I think in a couple of months!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:10 pm »
Our Meijers has the Wii Fit Bundle 1/2 price tomorrow for an early bird special.  Luckily my husband has to be to work, so he is gonna leave early and try to get me one.   :)

So cool, hopefully since I'm only 2 weeks, 2day post surgery I'll enjoy it.  Then can see about the plus one if needed.

Thanks for the toughts of this!!!

Denise
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »
Oh, for those of you early bird on or after Thanksgiving sale ads, check for them if interested.   Seems like many are having deals on them.    Hopefully my hubby gets one before they are gone!    Sounds exactly what I need!!! 

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
Well, I ended up getting one.   I'm having lots of delayed issues and healing due to extra swelling in my brain, plus some spinal stuff.

At my one month check up yesterday I asked the doctor what he thought of the Wii Fit Plus.     Well, he laughed (my husband and I looked at each other like, what the heck).   He said sorry, but yes it seems to be working VERY well, IF YOU USE IT!!!

He told us he laughed because his wife had wanted one so bad a bit back and she got it, well it's still just sitting there  ;D     (of course that seems to happen with a lot of peoples exercise equipment).

I didn't set it up yet, because of the pressure in my head  I'm a bit nervous.    Hopeuflly tomorrow will be a better day  :)

Have fun  & keep us posted.
Denise S.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:51:41 am »
Good luck, Denise! 

For the WiiFit aficionados - the Plus has a more advanced "girl in bubble" balance game.  I have NEVER gotten entirely through that game on the original Fit, so I am afraid to try to new one!  For me, that is the hardest of all the balance games. 

There is a bicycling game on the new one that is pretty cool - great for hand/body/eye coordination.  And, also good for some laughs.

2.4 cm Right Side AN

Jess Toews

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
I hav the Wii Fit Plus and I love it!! My favorite game is the one where you have to flap your arms like a bird. It's fun to play and to watch :)
Nov. 18, 2009-House Ear Clinic
Dr. Brackmann & Swartz
translab approach
3.5cm AN removed

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:39 am »
I love my Wii Fit Plus!!!  First of all, I am amazed at how much progress I have made.  Every day when I step on I'm a little better and a little more balanced.  That is such positive feedback and really keeps me motivated to work on my balance!!!
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.