Author Topic: Mike (loose screws) Update  (Read 11460 times)

NL

Re: Mike (loose screws) Update
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:24:16 pm »
I just checked in with Mike's mom to see how he was doing. She said he's doing really well - and put him on the phone! 

He said he was feeling great, had found his center of balance and had no dizziness or nausea. (He said the only time they were really an issue was in ICU.) He'll most like be going home tomorrow. I passed along all the well-wishes and told him he'll have lots of reading to catch up on when he gets home.  :)

He said he feels fairly energetic. I reminded him it's the steroids and not to push himself when he gets home, or he might find himself taking a "kitchen floor nap."  ;)

Hopefully he'll feel good enough to check in himself sometime next week.  ;D

Way to go, Mike!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:41:32 am »
Thanks for the updates Nancy!  I'm very happy for Mike and wish him a speedy recovery.

Mike, if you are reading this, listen to Nancy.  Take it easy, even if you feel like a million bucks.  I've pushed it a few times and discovered how quickly things can run down.  No kitchen floor naps yet, but pretty darn close!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:33:43 pm »
Hi there.

Getting to the post treatment side isn't easy. I just want to thank everyone for all your thoughts and good wishes. They worked. My family and I appreciate reading your messages. I gonna cut this short it's hard on the eyes. Talk to you soon.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:24:38 am »
Mike - it is great to see you posting so soon after your surgery.  Don't feel bad, it will get easier on the eyes as the days pass.  I hope you and your family have a very happy Thanksgiving this year!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 08:37:32 am »
Yeah ..... a post straight from Mike.  That's super, even if short!  Still pulling for you!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 04:13:11 pm »
Hey, Mike (postie) ~

Good to see you post - even if it's a quick one!  Rest as much as you need and post what you can when you can.  We'll all be here.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 07:32:07 am »
Hey Mike - welcome to the other side!  Just remember to take it easy and don't overdue.  The thing with reading/typing gets better fairly quickly.

yahoo for you!!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ALICAM

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 10:50:38 am »
Hi Mike,
I'm new but just looked at your blog....love the pics ! So pleased to hear you are doing so well. Take it easy and get lots of pampering.

Ali

wendysig

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:06 pm »
Mike -

Glad to see you're home and already posting even if it's short.  Slow and steady is the way to go, if you overdo things your body will let you know (I'm a poet!!!   ;D ;D ;D)  Wishing you and yours a  Happy Thanksgiving  and looking forward to hearing how you're doing.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 04:34:03 pm »
Hey Mike, Thanks for the e-mail and glad to hear things are going o.k.

Take care and be sure to get the rest.   (I'm learing the negative side effects of that the hard way)

Denise Sanford
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

gingerbread6

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 07:31:16 pm »
Hi Mike,

So glad that you are home and doing so well.. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Your son did a great job on your blog. Great pics of you and your family. Rest up and enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family.

Take care and God Bless,

Gingerbread6

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:43 am »
Hey Guys, wanted to let yas know I just got an update on Mike (Loose Screws) blog. www.mikessurgery.blogspot.com   Be sure to check it out.    He too has now gotten the delayed facial issue like I have.   

Crazy stuff these surgeries can do!

Denise Sanford

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cin605

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 02:47:09 pm »
Congrats!Welcome to postie land!Happy Thanksgiving.I am sure you will be eating 3x the norm due to massive amounts of steroids.....no worries when you come off of them you will loose whatever u gained pound wise.....You will be learning even more as the months come.I think these ANS make us much wiser.
maybe a little bit more forgetful but definatly wiser!Well wishes for a quick painless recovery!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »
Denise ~

Thanks for the heads-up and the link to Mike's blog. 

He's had his obstacles to overcome but he seems to be handling everything as well as anyone could expect.  I pray the facial issues will resolve quickly.  With his indomitable spirit, I think Mike wiil be O.K. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 05:56:30 pm »
Hi Mike
I just caught up on your progress on your blog. The pictures were great. I banned photos of me post op but in hindsight I think I would have liked  to have them. Take good care Mike and as has been previously mentioned you will eat everything in sight while you are on those steriods. I've never eaten as much as I did when I was on Decadron-good thing Thanksgiving is tomorrow! The face recovery takes time. My best advice is to eat healthy, get rest and walk daily. Please keep your blog and us posted Mike.
Erin