Author Topic: Eyes post middle fossa  (Read 7940 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Eyes post middle fossa
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:44:39 am »
O.K., this is my first post after surgery.  My eyes are seem to be not focusing together.  Even my 'homework' is hard for me to focus.   It's only been 1 week now, so I'm just curious if someone can tell me about how long for eyes to start working better.  I can't really read and trying to make this short, but if I close the left eye (surgery side) then I can focus a little bit out the other eye until it starts spinning.

My hubby has been updating my blog.   My docotor is supposed to be calling later Monday afternoon, but I thought maybe I'd info from any one on here.

Thanks for everything!!!!!!
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Eyes post middle fossa
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01:27 am »
Denise -

I'm not sure your issue is exclusive to having middle fossa surgery.  I had retrosigmoid and woke up post op with double vision.  In my case, it lasted about 2 or 3 days; others have had it longer.  Focusing can also be a problem but gets better in time.

Calling your doctor is a great idea; hope he has some ideas for you. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TP

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:09:36 am »
Hi Denise, I woke up  from my AN surgery with double vision and had to have surgery to correct my bad eye (15 months after my AN was removed). However, it has been over 2 years now since my double vision surgery and I still have some issues with both eyes focusing when I am reading. I have my eyes checked and they don't seem to think there is a problem so I think my issues are due to lack of sleep. I think both my eyes need more rest these days but of course I don't take the time to rest as much as I should.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:03:12 am »
Denise .....

Yup, had the double vision, as well, which lasted probably 4-5 days and then returned whenever I was tired for several weeks.  I also had much trouble with gaze stabilization for a long time ..... again, much worse when the fatigue was worse.  You should mention it to your doctor to make sure it is not more than that.

When the brain has been jostled during any type of brain surgery, I would suspect this could be related ..... or from temporary post-surgical minor swelling ..... but check it out with your doctor.

If your doctor says all is normal, my advice would be:  when you are having trouble focusing, take that 30 minute nap.  You may be trying to push yourself too hard, too fast.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
Thanks for your guys postings.    I posted that I wrote on my blog a long story explaining what probably happened.   

Oh joy oh joy, I think it's finally getting better.   We are definately taking things hour by hour for right now.

Thanks again,
Denise
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 02:57:03 pm »
Whew, Denise ..... you have been through the proverbial wringer!  Sure glad the steroids and change in pain meds seems to be doing the trick.

Thoughts and prayers for no more weird things from now on ..... and on to completed recovery!

Clarice

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »
Denise ~

I'm delighted to learn that your vision is beginning to clear.  Like most, I experienced some double vision in the first few days, post-op.  It cleared before I left the hospital.  I hope your vision is soon back to normal, too. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:32:53 am »
Yeah, I think I'm almost there....the normal vision.   That sure is an odd one.  Didn't help with me having delayed issues.

Wanted to say thanks in a few areas to fellow ANers who have posted comments on my blog too.   I've gotten many comments from family & friends that read them and think it is so cool how we have these people there for support and sharing there things too, even though we've never met them.

My closed ANA support group is 4 hours away, and spoke with someone over the phone about it.   Wasn't sure it would have been worth it.   

I keep referring to this forum and my blog as my support group!   ;)

THANK you , THANK you, THANK you.
Denise Sanford

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 02:53:50 am »
My closed ANA support group is 4 hours away, and spoke with someone over the phone about it.   Wasn't sure it would have been worth it.   

As great as the Forum is, local support groups are definitely worth attending.  There's just something about connecting with people in person, instead of virtually, that gives support a whole new meaning.  The local meetings I've attended have been well worth it and the ANA Symposium - kind of like one huge support group - was awesome!  I'm really looking forward to Cincinnati in 2011.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »
Denise .....

So glad your vision is almost back to normal!

As great as the Forum is, local support groups are definitely worth attending.  There's just something about connecting with people in person, instead of virtually, that gives support a whole new meaning.  The local meetings I've attended have been well worth it and the ANA Symposium - kind of like one huge support group - was awesome!  I'm really looking forward to Cincinnati in 2011.

Jan

..... and I will second that thought!

Clarice

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:31 pm »
Even better news today, check out the blog!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »
Yeah!  We rejoice in even the smallest of clues or signs!!

Clarice

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 07:37:52 pm »
Thanks guys, it's pretty cool.

Although, sure enough today the pressure in my head was SO bad again and very loud weird tinnutis.

Oh well, I'm not down now after my episode yessterday!!!! ;D  I know there is better light at the end of this titlel

Thanksk again for being so kind.
Denise

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 04:28:08 pm »
I was gonna start a new thread but you wrote about exactly what I'm suffering from. When I look down the street 20 feet or farther my eyes are still not focusing together, 14 days post op. I have a strong feeling it directly related to my facial weakness. Does anyone know if your eye focusing muscles are effected with the delayed facial weakness caused post surgery? I also cannot blink and don't think I'm getting any tears so that makes thing rather uncomfortable.

Thanks
Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:47:15 pm »
Yes Mike, the eye weakness and lid not closing is related to the paralysis we got.  Which also affects blinking, tingling, numbness, no tears,.

ALSO, the facial nerve has fibers the secretory glands in the nose (yep mine is affected there too), AND  taste buds to the tip of the tongue are conveyed by the facial nerve, so there may be temporary taste disturbances.

Mike, I have my one month post op this Friday and you & I both got the delayed paralysis.  Since I live 3 1/2 hours away from doctor, I went to see my eye doctor.   She said very strongly to using ointment at night, and drops in the day.  I like the Refresh Celluvisc, but it is thicker and makes things blurry.  If we don't keep the eye moisturized it will scratch the cornea and can do eye damage.  You can see my 'lovely' patch type things I've been using on my blog.

My eye dr. said it was O.K. to cover the 'paralyzed' eye as long as it is moisturized.  I guess with our facial paralysis it makes it so the eye lid won't close.   Some people taped theirs closed, or used saran wrap or glad stick & seal with tape around that.   I think I'm sensitive to the tape, so it hurt my skin.    When I cover the bad eye with something dark, then my good eye focuses just fine.   I was also told to do the eye exercises a few times a day. 

I am one week ahead of you and I'd say I just started to feel more of the focus. 

This whole delayed paralysis thing is very annoying.   If you read up on my blog, there has been some ups and downs.   I can't wait to see the doctor and see what he thinks.    I;ve read heree where some people have that stuff for quite awhile.   

FYI....I got most of this information out of my Michigan Ear Institute phamplet and  one from the Acoustic Neuroma Association.   Since I'm a week ahead of you, I've got lots of the research down