Author Topic: 5 Month postop GK  (Read 2753 times)

Cinda

5 Month postop GK
« on: March 30, 2006, 08:17:37 pm »
It's been 5 months since my right-sided GK (10/20/05).  Just recently the hearing went down on the right side and the tinnitus is constant.  I was given a 5 day course of dexamethasone 4mg/6mg, but no help.  Occasional headaches and behind earaching - dull, but able to function. I know these are possible side effects and hoping they are temporary.  The 6 month mark is around the corner (6-18 month is the usual postop symptom timeline).  I had my MRI in Feb. with no change (l.7cm - l.5cm) and due again in June for a repeat.  If this is the extent of my symptoms for postop, I'll deal or does it get worse before it gets better? My ENT (who I have worked for the past 23 years) said to hold off and consult neurosurgeon who lead the GK procedure for guidance if another course of steroids is necessary.  I'm trying to hold off as I also have osteoporosis and too much steroid regimen could affect the bone density.  Would appreciate any feedback from any recent "GammaKnifers" experiencing the same postop issues.  Cinda

Battyp

Re: 5 Month postop GK
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:21:53 pm »
Cinda I'm can't answer your question as I'm post surgery but you mentioned something that has intrigued me...
I'm trying to hold off as I also have osteoporosis and too much steroid regimen could affect the bone density

I was on months of steriods and have been having an awful time with my feet and hips and had osteopenia before surgery..wondering if this could have exasperated the problem.  Interesting....

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »
Hi Cinda and welcome. I'm prepping for Cyberknife, but all in all, we know this... the tumor and nerve(s) do swell and you sound like you are in the typical timeframe for the swelling. The doses of decadron they prescribed are low doses and do help with headaches as well as the swelling. Did the tumor change color at all (in any sense) in the Feb MRI?  any dark spots on the tumor shown on the MRI?

Hang in there... you are really at that first true milestone post-treatment so hoping this will pass soon and you'll be yourself again.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cinda

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:18:59 am »
Hi PPearl214 - Thanks for the response.  My tumor went from 1.7cm to 1.5cm - dr. considered this no change.  No color indicated or anything abnormal.  I had visions of high dose dexamethasone, but I'm grateful that the periodic low dose is tolerable.  I just hope the hearing improves -- I can now sympathize with hearing loss patients who come into my office.  I am also going to try Lipoflavinoid which is a B-complex formula for tinnitus.  Dr. says cannot hurt.  Anyway I hope your side effects are small - I had my procedure on a Thursday and was back into work Monday - as promised.  NO vertigo, tinnitus, nausea, etc.  Just felt a bit wiped out.  I only experienced a bit of vomiting after they put me out to install the head brace and woke up -- I think it was the MRI/CT contrast mixed with the lite anesthesia combo, but I was able to get thru the procedure without a problem.  I am just grateful that the tumor was benign and life is beautiful.  Keep me posted.  Warmest regards Cinda