Author Topic: How long have you been W & W  (Read 11204 times)

Sheryl

Re: How long have you been W & W
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:06:30 am »
Hi all you W&W's - today I had my two-year MRI for 9th cranial nerve schwannoma being followed since 11/01.  Had VIP treatment as the neuroradiologist that I know and who has helped me and hubby with all our brain films was assigned to the office that I was scheduled (they rotate around).  So I got an instant read and called into the reading room for more detail.

Basically he felt that over the two years, I have had growth of 1 mm - that would be since 2007.  Actually when he went back to 2004 when I had my last growth, it measured 13 mm and now it is 14 mm.  The good news is that there is no swelling around it and it is not pressing into the brainstem but is touching it.  Even better news is since I have had breast cancer in 2004, the rest of the brain is clear.  This 1 mm is also within the margin of technical error and he did tell me that they have upgraded their MRI's (thought I heard a different clip clop/jackhammer noise)!!  Worst part of the whole experience was getting the I.V. in for the contrast dye - took two technicians (one supposed to be "the one") and three tries.  I hydrated myself with so much water before the procedure (as I heard it helps plump up veins) that luckily the restrooms were nearby!!

Go to see the neurologist for yearly visit next week and will find out her take on this and when she feels another MRI is a good idea.  Since there has been minor growth, I may convince her that I'd like to go a year rather than two this time.

Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 01:30:49 am »
I wish all of you watch 'n' waiters the very best. I can't help but notice that W & W is the quiet section around here.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Derek

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 05:27:59 am »
Hi Sheryl...

I share your optimism that the apparent tiny 1mm increase in 2 years will be down to nothing more than the differing tolerences applicable to the upgraded MRI equipment etc.. Great to see your positive outlook prevailing and I am certain that I will continue to remain 'in your shadow'!

I have insisted on annual MRI scans since diagnosis and I think you are wise to go along that route.

Best wishes for Christmas and hope that all goes well for you in 2010.

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Mickey

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 09:56:28 am »
Hi Sheryl! I`m in your corner too. As long as your symptoms are favorable why not hold out with the hope your AN has reached its maximum size. As far as  the MRI it looks good 1mm is really of no significance. Stay the course with a healthy lifestyle! Best Wishes, Mickey

Derek

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:34 am »
I wish all of you watch 'n' waiters the very best. I can't help but notice that W & W is the quiet section around here.  ;)

Steve

Hi there Steve..

We tend to be on the 'quiet' side here because we are 'watching and waiting' (lol)

Best wishes to you and your moderator colleagues...Have a great Christmas and best of everything in 2010

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

rezski

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 05:35:42 pm »
Four and a half years and counting.  I had an 18 month MRI and hearing test today and as Dr. Backous put it "I am boring!"  No changes so I get to go 2 more years unless of course I get symptoms.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

suboo73

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:59 am »
Caroline,

Congrats to you and all the others who continue in W & W!
After an uneventful MRI on Dec. 4th, i hope to add another year to my status.

Take care, everyone, and enjoy the holiday season!

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

marie

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 02:30:22 pm »
I have been watching and waiting  with annual MRIs since 1993.  Had this year's MRI yesterday at about 5:30 pm.  Don't have the results, yet.  Will post with those when I hear.  Thankfully, there is no horror story to report .  I told them they were not to even look at the back of my hands for the contrast injection.
Marie
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

suboo73

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 06:03:28 am »
Hi Marie!

I received the e-mail notice that you had responded to this thread.  Then i went back and read your story - WOW!
Sounds like you are doing well, despite having been at this AN stuff for a long time!  CONGRATULATIONS!
Many best wishes that you receive yet ANOTHER great MRI report and continue W & W.
You give us fellow W & Waiters hope and inspiration!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

LisaP

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 10:10:37 am »
Hi,

Have been W&W since March of 08!!

Best wishes

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Mickey

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 10:29:46 am »
Hi Lisa! Keep the faith! My AN aprox. the same deminsions as yours awaiting yearly MRI in Aug. 2010, 3yrs. So far stable and keeping up the "tips" with the W+W brigade for a healthy lifestyle. You never know there have been cases of reduction in size. Best wishes, Mickey

rezski

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »
I have been on watch and wait since the summer of 2005.  I just had an 18 mo MRI in November and now get to wait 2 years for the next one.  Sibce I have other medical problems to contend with I am glad this one is not causing more concerns.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

Louise

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 06:56:03 pm »
I have been W and W since March of 2006.  My right side AN started as 3mm x3mm x4mm and now is 6mm x 4mm x 3mm.  It hasn't grown for the last 2 years.  My only symptoms are loss of hearing in the right ear and sometimes a little unsteadiness.  I have some hearing in the right ear, but poor speech discrimination.  Every year when I have the MRI I consider treating it, but then when it hasn't grown, I change my mind.  I am 64 years old.