Author Topic: Am I stupid?  (Read 8684 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Am I stupid?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:56:49 am »
I see Jan called you Nancy, so hope that is OK to use .....  If you are in Kentucky, we are neighbors since I live in West Virginia.  One of my kids lived in Lexington for many years so we made many trips to your beautiful state.

Best wishes on your mission to find a doctor!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

frank

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:43 am »
Hi Beancounter:
Sorry about the loss of your Mother.
I agree with the many other comments - you should have another MRI to find out the status of your AN. Fortunately, yours was very small and ANs are slow growing so I am sure the lapse in time won't be serious.
My AN was discovered by a local ENT. (My PCP referred me to him.) The local ENT has little or no experience in treating ANs so he referred me to the "professor" - Dr Woods in Syracuse, NY (about 50 miles away). Dr Woods is an Otolaryngolist and a surgeon who has done many, many AN treatments. He is also on the teaching staff at Upstate Medical Center. He is also a member of the team at the Upstate Gamma Knife center where I had my AN treated last week.
So that has been my experience in getting to a Doctor who can properly treat your AN. I am sure that your local ENT can refer you to someone nearby who is experienced in AN treatments.  Incidentally, I used Dr Woods as a consultant for over 2 years when I was in the W&W category because he was the "experienced one" rather than my local ENT.
Frank
4/07 MRI 8x5x6 mm  AN, RS  
Partial hearing loss and tinnitus 
4/08 MRI 10x5x5 mm
No additional hearing loss
4/09 MRI 1.2 cm , 6mm in AP dia, small mushroom shaped component into CB angle cistern. No additional hearing loss
Gamma Knife 11/09 Univ Hosp GK Ctr, Syracuse
Dr Hahn & Woods

suboo73

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:33 am »
Hi Beancounter,

Glad to see your post - you sure have had alot going on recently.  - My condolences as well, on the loss of your mother.
Others can relate, as they have - me too.  My father had a stroke in May, and is now in a nursing home.
Both my sister and i are here on the forum - such craziness, and i was misdiagnosed a LONG time by local ENTs.
[Wouldn't be here without my sister's rapid diagnosis!]  So now i go to a major medical center - at least they know the definition of an AN!

Anyway - i have put off some other health issues, just couldn't take it any more. 
Now i believe i am ready to deal with them.  So have the follow-up MRI in early Dec., and some other doctor appointments scheduled that are overdue.
I am confident you will get a plan going - however, if you need a little 'push', give me the docs name and number - i will make the call for you.

All my best, and keep us posted.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W