Author Topic: Long Time No Type  (Read 3675 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Long Time No Type
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:44:54 pm »
Hello ... thought I would drop in and say Hi ... been lurming last day or two looking for a jump in spot ...now sitting here when I should be tuck safely in bed I figured it was a good place ...

Will start by saying I have missed this place ..just reading is helpful  ...thanks for being here...I know it is said often but give thanks where thanks are due

been having issues that have kept me away...mostly computer croaked on me ...now  using an ancient IBM Think Pad we found in a house on property we bought...

the creek that is on the property line is what we wanted ... old man that lived there and FIL have shared the creek since 1953...gentleman agreement ... old man died about 6 years ago and then his wife moved to town about 3 years ago when the daughter that was taking care of her died of an asthma attack before we could get help to her...the old lady died in January at the age of 99 and we were giving first dibs on the place ...4 acres and a little old house that is about had it ...couldn't afford it but since th creek is where our cows get water ,couldn't afford not to buy it ...flooding moves the creek and who's land it is on...wrong people buying it could mean disaster for the farm

the kids found this thing and tried to get it working ...it had a password on it under the signin name which was AnnieRuth... the daughter who passed away ...we put it aside and one day I plugged it in and typed in Cowhorn which is the name of our road and it opened ... my husband said I should give it to the brother who we bought the place from but I told him Annie Ruth gave me her pass word so it was mine... there are no pictures or personal files store on it ... so for now I am using what my kids are calling The Dinosaur... can't print off of it and the key board is driving me nuts ... someone moved the keys or my hands grow when they get near it ...and the screen is small ...teeny tiny small...but it works so can't complain ...

next is medical ... have a duptured disk in neck on surgery side ...lost most use of arm for a bit and it is in constant pain from spasming muscles ...over last 2 weeks we have got that to a tolorable state ...I have been trying to tell doctors that something was wrong but they didn't really pay attention to me ... so many things werewrong that didn't seem to them to be connected ...tingling up and down arm, aches in shoulder and neck going up in to scalp and headaches ...none were there pre-surgery... MRI shows scars tissue around area... they are think that when my head was clamped down for surgery that the tears in muscle happened and as they healed were pulling  and irritating nerves cusing the pain and tingling I had in arm and also headaches ...

I had just upped dose of lyrica because I was having breakthough headaches ... when this ruptured they took me off lyrica so they could do nerve conduction tests without it blocking reponses ... I was scared of brain wrecks returning ...have had a few tylonal treatable headaches but no wrecks ...who would have thought loss of use of an arm would cure headaches ...only idea is that pressure was releaved from something and no wrecks ...still will get a sharp pain if I bend down to pick up things  sneeze hard ...but over all happy with head ache issues being mostly gone

have PT and traction ... a mass of pulleys and rope and a bag of water with a sling for my chin ...hang it in the doorway and sit in it for 4 - 30 minute sessions a day... plus range of motion and stretching exercises ... added 2 pound weight to routine becasue of muscle tone loss ... some of the lifts I cannot no ...opposing muscles all try to pull at same time and lock up locking arm at elbow ... they say it is due to nerve damage and have to keep working at it ...can do it with no weight but just a pound is too much ...like I said ..it's been a wild ride ...

when I asked my now songwritinf surgeon at last visit with him about the arm issues he said a nerve may be pinched but should over time clear up ...and it was never followed up ...

may have surgery in next few months to remove damaged disk and replace it with a piece of bone from my hip or a synthetic disk ... hoping to avoid surgery ... counting AN surgery I have had 8 surgeries and a baby in last 10 years and figure that is more than enough ... and someone cutting my neck scares me as much as having hole drilled in head ...

on muscle relaxers , pain killers , prednisone , capsacian creme and patches , hot showers , PT , traction and rest ...the last is hardest ... not going back on lyrica just yet hoping what ever moved releaving brainwrecks will not get put back in place from the PT or traction and I can have just Tylonal headaches and not need lyrica ...

well now that I have wrote a book I think I am going to try to sleep...insomnia is still a big issue with me ... went grocery shopping at 3 am one morning last week ... typing at y'all has got to be safer... :)...good night ...or I guess good morning seeing it is almost 1:00am here ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Long Time No Type
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:26:43 am »
Soundy, I'm glad that you found that old computer and figured out the password. It's good to hear from you even though I am sorry to hear that so much is going on. Prayers are going up that you find relief soon.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:13:41 pm »
Soundy ~

Thanks for the interesting account of your past few months.  You have an excellent reason for being 'MIA' for awhile (you're excused) ;).  Your recent medical issues are complex but you seem to be diligently working through them as best you can.  I  hope you can get everything back to some state of normalcy before too long.  The story of buying the property and how you found the ancient computer and discovered the password is compelling.  Of course, we're glad you're back and able to post, again.  Although you may be using a 'primitive' computer, your posts are as lively and informative as ever.  Welcome back, Soundy!  :)

Jim      
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:44:10 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
Soundy,
Prayers and positive thoughts and energy coming your way.  I agree with you, the computer should stay with you!  You have been around the loop a lot.  You are one tough cookie and I know that you will prevail! I enjoyed reading your "book", I hope in writing it, you will get the much needed sleep you so deserve.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »
I am curious about your ThinkPad. It has to be older than 2005 when Lenovo took over the brand, but ThinkPads date all the way back to 1992. Do you know exactly what model it is?

Also, have you heard anything about Gabe lately? I've been wondering how he is.

Hope you are having a better day today, Soundy.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:17 pm »
First ...no new word on Gabe other than he is at home ...that was what I was told about 2 weeks ago... I think the cousin isn't saying much trying to keep the family privacy... they don't expect him to live long and just want him to themselves so can just pray for them all ...

as to age of Think Pad I found it somewhere in autintication info and found where Annie Ruth had done some installation in Dec of 98 so it is at least that old ... hard to get used to the little red peg of a mouse but actually find it easier to use than the mouse pad that is on my son's new lap top... I guess becasue I have only used it 2 or 3 times and now have been using this thing a couple weeks ...was offered $200 for it by soon to be brother-in law but gonna keep it ...he thinks it is cute ...it is a 760

back on lyrica...started getting headaches yesterday that wouldn't quit ... but the short break from them and not being medicated for them was nice ...gives me some hope that once things are sorted out I may be able to go off the lyrica all together...will take a while for lyrica to start working again...

still just taking a day at a time ... the stretches and exercises wear me out ... they make me ache and pain makes me sleepy ...I think it is a self preservation thing or something ... kids have been out all week for Fall Break and have alternately drove me nuts and rubbed my back for me ...have to go in Monday for PT to re-evaulate me ... range of motion is better but stength is in the toilet ...

going to have to go on something that will help me sleep...my brain won't shut off and I sleep in 45 minute to maybe hour and a half stretches ... when it starts making me buggy I get up and read or watch TV or play online ... house cleaning evidently bothers mt family  :-\ ...not that I can do much to make noise but they say I am too noisy ...

but with all that said I feel alot better than when all this new chapter started...just want it wrapped up before end of the year so I can move on and start getting better again ...kinda feel like I have taken 2 steps forward and 3 back ...need to make up for lost ground
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:55 pm »
Update ...

surgery is not gonna happen ...YAY!!!... I still have some pain ...using heat , capsacian (sp) and exercises to keep it limber ...just have to be careful and not over do... lifting is a no no so I get to make people lift stuff over 10 pounds for me ...

Lyrica bumped to 300mg ...was at 225 ... trying to get time down right to take it as it makes me woozy...but have headaches back under control ...

having swallowing problems and face on both sides is tingly and just plain funny feeling ...eyes don't always open or close right ...some drooling from AN side ... when I swallow food just stops part way down ...learning not to panic and have informed those around me that if I turn blue the hiemlich manuver is in order...eat soft food and soup when alone ....

MRI done thursday shows swelling around canal leading through skull to outer ear on both sides ...could be allergic ... they are not sure ...could be related to disk and muscle problems ...on steroids and water pills which means I stay near a bathroom...thinking diapers are almost in order...what ever the inflamation is , it is causing the facial problems that were written off as Bells...feels very simular to right after surgery

and this will sound just plain stupid ... even though AN side had symptoms I didn't regard them as anything out of ordinary since that side has not been right since surgery ... it has just become normal to me to have tingles and half closed eye and a little spit running out corner of my moth... just paid attention to the non surgical side acting up...people had to point out that AN side was a little different and then MRI was ordered...nice to have friends that will point out your face looks wierd  ;D

good thing is that no regrowth of AN was noted and non descript white spots (that I am told are age spots on your brain and are normal :o) and as this MRI was billed as medical diagnostic and not recheck my insurance is going to pay on it and I am letting it take place of the one planned for April with approval of doctor...

so waiting to see what happens ...and putting goop in both eyes ... feeling good overall ...or at least alot better ...life goes on
Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »
wow, soundy, you do have a lot going on.
thanks for updating and letting us know.
you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:45:33 pm »
Soundy, I went through the ruptured disc in the neck as well had 3 but decided to do one and see how that worked.  I had bone doner and plates and screws and have never looked back one moment.  That pain was so bad.... the surgery was such a relief.  It is what it is, if you need surgery you need it, it can improve you life so much.  I barely even remember I had a neck problem and it has been 8 years.  I did not have the bone graph cause I hear that is more painful and takes longer to recover from that than the surgery, good luck with your decision, they are never easy.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:41 am »
Soundy!  :-*  thanks for the update.  Sounds like you are really trying to get the upper hand on things and you KNOW I cheer you on, send the infamous hugglez.... but, I gotta tell ya... just great to see you posting. You've been missed! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
Hey Soundy--good to hear from you.  I have an appointment for Botox injections for headaches--I'll let you know how it goes over on the headache department.  Take care of yourself and keep doing the PT!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW