Author Topic: Has anyone had a second GK?  (Read 2773 times)

Shekhar

Has anyone had a second GK?
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:06:46 am »
I have been away from this forum a long time now. Had my GK in Aug 2005, and yesterday I had my latest MRI on 3 Tesla!! Now I am keeping my fingers crossed before I see my doctor - later this month.
The old reports showed necrosis, but there has been not much change in the size, hearing is down, tinnitus is up and have learnt to live with those funny tastes in my mouth.... I do have my share of bad days..rather bad nights when sleep eludes me. But rest all is good and I am carrying on quite well despite some sudden balance problems...
I wonder if anyone had a 2nd GK done?
Well thanks for all the support

Shekhar

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Has anyone had a second GK?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »
Shekhar -

I didn't choose GK, I chose surgery, but my neurotologist does both procedures.  It's my understanding from conversations with him that if GK fails, docs typically do surgery.

However, you say your previous MRIs showed necrosis - so I'm not sure that your GK has failed. 

I hope your latest MRI shows good results and you don't have a need for further treatment.

Please keep us posted.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:48 pm »
Hi, Shekhar ~

I have to concur with Jan that in the event of a 'failed' radiation treatment, surgery is usually indicated.  Let's hope your MRI shows that no further treatment will be necessary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Shekhar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:40 am »
Thanks Jan and Jim.... thank you very much for all your support. Finally I have the report in hand and honestly I am quite relieved and happy.

It says that - " there is a marginal decrease in the size of the tumor as compared to the report of April 2008." I did a quick check on my old reports and there is a definite decrease - it was 28 mm x 22 mm x 22 mm in July 05 and NOW it is 22mm x 20mm x 19mm.

I am happy that there will no more fears in my mind about 2nd GK or surgery...thanks again.

Shekhar

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:29 am »
Shekhar -

glad to hear your MRI results are so positive!  Sounds like your tumor is biting the dust quite nicely  ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Shekhar

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:27:13 am »
Thank you very much Jan!

I am quite pleased too.... I will wait when it really bites the dust or somewhat 1 cm x 1 cm x 1cm..... that would be great!

Best

Shekhar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:17:41 pm »
Shekhar ~

Great news! 

According to my doctor, tumor necrosis - cell death - takes place (and is more obvious on the MRI scan) more rapidly than shrinkage.  He said it can literally takes years for the AN to become really small.  Halting tumor growth is the first priority, followed by necrosis, followed by shrinkage.  In your case, the tumor is definitely shrinking and I'm pleased to learn that your concerns regarding the need for any future radiation or surgery were -thankfully - unsupported by the MRI evidence. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Shekhar

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:18:06 am »
Hello Jim,

Thanks for the clarification, it did put me at ease. I am seeing my doctor next week and I am sure to clarify more things worrying my mind. Its has been 4 long years of wait which at last has yielded some positive report. I do understand that, the best news is that there is NO further growth. Rest as you say, we have to learn to live with the realities. Life is good....

regards
Shekhar