Author Topic: Can't tell where "sound" is coming from..  (Read 33683 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Can't tell where "sound" is coming from..
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:18 pm »
Dean -

have you considered a BAHA or a TransEar?  I have a BAHA and it has helped immensely with my SSD.  Really cuts down on my "huh" ?? and "what" ?? responses.

I've also gotten pretty good over the past 18 months localizing sound.  I have a Divino and the directional microphone works very well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 04:15:33 pm »
You'll love this.

My mother knocks on the table to play with the dog.  (Why is that fun?)

I asked her not to do that anymore because while I hear the knock, I can't tell where it came from so for all I know, someone is knocking at the door...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 04:26:49 pm »
I'm trying to train my 4 year old son to say his exact location when I am looking for him, instead of saying "I'm in here".  So far, it's not working so good because he has figured out that I have a hard time finding him and takes advantage.  Little fart.  LOL  It's even worse with my 16 month old, since she can't talk much yet.  "Mama" and "waaaahhhh" are not very helpful when trying to localize the source of the sound.  ;-)

Vonda

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
Barbara:

Like Clarice I have very good hearing in my good ear and 20% in my AN ear. I, too, have lost the sense of directionality and do the 360s when my name is called, esp. at work. I'm even beginning to think my name is "Sylvia Over Here". I waited 6 months post-surgery to try out a hearing aid. It helps very little w/ conversations. However, I did keep it because it works wonders for my sense of directionality outdoors. I can tell where most sounds, such as that of a moving car or a dog, are coming from. The hearing aid also helps sooth my tinnitus.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.