Author Topic: The Next Test  (Read 17172 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
The Next Test
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:56:36 pm »
Good news that has me nervous. I've been out of work since last October...originally economy related and of course extended by my recent summer vacation. My old boss called and asked if I was interested in coming back. The company has undergone a metamorphosis...new owner, lots of changes. I like what I hear and the opportunity is good for other reasons. A chance to learn some new software in depth.

I'm a little concerned that the scatter brained me will be less capable than I used to be. I've always been a bit of a software wiz but for some reason this has me nervous. I'm ecstatic about my recovery and I'm hoping to see a return to pre-AN levels of productivity. The headaches, dizziness and wonky head don't make for a productive worker. One concern post-op is I have noticed a slight tendency to ADD and while I wouldn't call it fatigued I do get more tired.

I feel like I need to rebuild myself and I guess prove myself again...at least to me. Going to be an interesting test.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

lori67

Re: The Next Test
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:10:55 pm »
I'll bet once you get back into the swing of things, you'll be great!  You'll probably find you feel less scatter brained when you have something specific to focus on - much like paddle-boarding, I'd imagine.  You have to be able to stay focused for that,so maybe once you have your work to focus on, that scatter brain feeling will lessen.

One step at a time!  You can do this!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:20:32 am »
Bob:  Congratulations - you must be a great worker or your boss wouldn't have asked you to come back.    I was very worried when I returned to work 2 months post op.  My job is all mental & new things are being added all the time.   At first it was difficult, tiring, but it got easier & easier with time.  I was harder on myself then I needed to be - isn't that always the case ?
I'm sure you'll do great.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy

ps:  Donnalynn:  Thank you for the AOR/medication info (& the balance article Sue posted) !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:26 am »
Bob
being a driving instructor  I as well was scared of returning to work...Inclass was ok..I took the plung and went back to incar and it is no different then before but I am exhausted once I am home....Being busy seems to take care of the wonky head for me as well as the headaches...I'd say go for it...At least give it a fair trial....I'm a firm believer in keeping our brains active.....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

moe

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:23:17 am »
Bob,
You can do it! See if you can start out slow though. The fatigue is real. May take up to a year or longer to get used to the "new you." Once your brain gets used to thinking the way it did before, I would imagine you'd be fine, maybe even BETTER.
(I always needed rest periods prior to my AN  discovery so it is not that much different for me post op!)
Cheers,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:39:56 pm »
Bob ~

Great news, indeed!  Being productive (and paid) is always 'good medicine'.  I think your concerns about handling a new job are perfectly valid but you don't seem to be the type that allows his fears to make his decisions.  I can speculate that you'll definitely feel tired at the end of a workday and you may have to scale back your hours to stay at your peak, so I hope you'll be able to start part-time or at least not be expected to be at 100% on Day One.  After all, you did have brain surgery.  You've obviously recovered but it will take a little time to come back to where you were, pre-surgery.  That should be obvious.  Still, I like your intrepid attitude and of course, I applaud your willingness to take hold of this job opening.  I think you'll be able to handle this and besides that, you'll have lots of folks cheering you on, including me.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:37:05 am »
Thanks all. I'm just a bit nervous about screwing this up. It is a part time thing to start which is good. The technical difficulty is still there though. I'm a bit concerned about my learning ability not being like it used to be. Just have to work harder I guess.

I'm going to be sure to get plenty of sleep to help fight the tiredness.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:14:06 am »
Bob,

Is the work environment going to be quiet or noisy? Assessing this can help you devise some coping strategies.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 10:48:27 am »
Bob,

I have a technically demanding job as an engineering software developer. What I found during the first six months was that I could do the challenging work, but only for shorter periods of time. There might have been 3 good hours in a typical day. Fortunately two things help that: you are aware of when you are sharp and when you are not; and most jobs involve some routine non-demanding tasks as well, such as reading emails from the HR department. So I was able to work on the difficult stuff for a few  hours, then recognize when I had lost the edge, and spend that time on all the other stuff. I had to organize my time a little more than usual, and sometimes put problem X off till tomorrow's "sharp period," but I managed to be productive during those months despite it all. By now I am back to a more regular pattern, although I still do that sometimes.

The new rule could be "put off till tomorrow that which you can do better tomorrow than you can today." :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 10:54:04 am »
Bob,

I have a technically demanding job as an engineering software developer.

Wow, Steve can knit hats and he's extremely intelligent too!!!!
Way to go Steve :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:34:35 pm »
Sounds like sage advice Steve. I should be able to structure my day that way.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »
You'll do great, Bob.

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »
Bob

You're gonna do great... you know my mantra... "day by day, inch by inch..." and that applies to new (old) jobs as well! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:02:35 pm »
Hi Bob,

It's good to see that you recovered well. I say go for it! Once your back you will get into the swing of things and it's great that it's part-time at first so it will give you a good indication of whether or not you can handle it full time. Although I am sure you can!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 07:57:43 am »
Bob~
Just reading this but wanted to add my 2 cents from someone who has been dealing with this for a long time.  Yes, it is a bit daunting, especially the tiredness, but i have found that the skills & knowledge that you have used for a long time come right back (like Steve said - & my Dr's - you do have a "sharper period" - usually in the morning when you are fresh) and the new skills that RELATE to what you already know seem to be OK too.  I didn't notice much trouble until this summer when I was trying to comprehend a TOTALLY new concept (all in the COMPLETELY new & different field of photography - my hat is off to those that learned on a film camera and didn't learn on the new ones that can do everything for you) - of course, it could be that I am just dingy or getting old!!

I know that you will do great - when do you start?

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!