Author Topic: GK completed - shooting pains  (Read 3439 times)

Agate

GK completed - shooting pains
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:04:48 am »
Had my GK treatment in Pittsburgh a week ago tomorrow - I wish I hadn't spent so much energy on worrying about the headframe.  If I can do it anyone can.  I barely remember having it on.  I'm having some shooting pains in my ear and head right now and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. 

Vivian B.

Re: GK completed - shooting pains
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:06 pm »
Hi Agate,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your treatment. I can't provide any advice post-treatment, but I am sure others that have had same or similar treatment and symptoms will chime in.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »
Yes, I had quite a bit of uncomfortable stuff going on after GK.  But my trigeminal nerve is doing a tango with the AN and it got stirred up.  My face felt burned.  I kept a cool washcloth on it, too.
Nerves in there are quite mad at this assault, and they are telling you all about it.  It took a bit of time, but it settled down.  But by all means, tell your doctor if you are really concerned about this.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mk

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09:55 am »
I also experienced from time to time these shooting, very sudden piercing pains that disappeared as fast as they appeared, . They were more frequent up to 6-8 months post-GK, but I don't remember having one in a long time now.

I remember others talking about these on the forum.
I also remember having some odd sensations, obviously from the frame, but I was very lucky to have them on the non-AN side (which was more bruised from the frame), so I wasn't overly alarmed. Sue is right that all these nerves (and the AN itself) are irritated right now. Ibuprofen has always worked well for me to ease any discomfort.

Best wishes for a successful recovery.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

windy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:03:50 pm »
Hi,

I had treatment in Pittsbugh, as well.  I also had shooting pains after GK.  For some reason, I had ear pain in both ears for a few months.  I no longer have ear pain, thank goodness!  I do still have shooting pains from time to time, but now they are in the sides and back of my head.  They do seem to be transient in nature.  I have taken steroids to relieve the symptoms.

I am glad you have your treatment behind you.  I wish you the very best in your post treatment!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:18:21 pm by windy »
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014