Author Topic: An acoustic WHAT?????  (Read 6548 times)

Kiwi Don

Re: An acoustic WHAT?????
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 02:58:04 pm »
Hi Tammy,
Welcome to the AN family, you are amongst a great bunch of folks with a wealth of knowledge.
Keep the chin up, and hang in there.
Regards

Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »
Welcome Tammy!
I cannot begin to tell you how helpful this forum and these terrific people have helped me.
Knowledge is power!
Let us know when your surgery is booked.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Tamster

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 06:57:08 pm »
First of all, let me just say thank you to Rich for his warm welcome.  I cannot tell you how helpful it has been for me to have a place to come and just wander around, "hearing" everyone's story.  I don't know if this is the case for others of you waiting for a surgery date, but I often am wandering the board in the wee hours of the morning. Whether it's the pressure in the ear, the dizziness, the ringing I hear, the anxiety of all of it together, I often am awake at 3 o'clock. I've always found a friend here, waiting, in the posts you've written.

Many thanks,

Tammy
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

Tamster

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 07:06:34 pm »
Tammy, welcome and great luck. Dr. Brackmann was poking around my brain with metal tools just months ago and I'm doing great.

Hi Lilan,
Thanks for the welcome and good wishes. You made me laugh with your comment about Dr. Brackmann poking around your brain. No need to mince words here! :-)  By the time you've researched enough about this surgery to decide where to go and what method to use, you know more about brain surgery than you ever wanted to!

I'm glad your outcome was good and that you're recovering well.

Tammy

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:04:40 am by Tamster »

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

moe

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:22 pm »
Hi Tammy,
just wanted to say HI and hope that we can be of support. sounds like you've already met some nice people who are in your same stage.
It is amazing how you can and will get connected to others- a great support.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Tamster

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 06:45:04 am »
Thank you to K, Jo, Jan, Lauren, Vonda, Wendy, Don, Michelle and Maureen for your warm welcomes and offer for help and answers to questions. At times like this it's reassuring to know there are so many who have traveled this road before me, who can lend a hand and a hug. I have spent many hours on this forum and have read your many stories, so I already feel as if I know you and the struggles and triumphs you've been through.
Now, I am in wait mode for a surgery date. I really do want to get that established so we can get an idea of what Christmas will look like this year. Both hubby and I are teachers, so I'm hoping to get a date right before the Christmas break. I was ready to schedule a week ago, and am getting impatient. I guess I will have to be more assertive to get this thing scheduled.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:06:36 am »
Tammy~
I was a teacher too (& still would be if I weren't running after my own girlies!) - I remember telling the Dr. that the way the holidays fell that year, I had almost 3 weeks off - would that be enough time?  I was such a young, naive, blonde - however, in my defense, it was such a rush, rush thing for me and we didn't know ANYTHING about an AN that I guess my "ignorance" can be excused.  I had a VERY large tumor and lots of complications but still went back at 3 months and am alive & kicking today!!   :D

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:13 am »
Seems like we have a lot of teachers and nurses on the Forum.

Wonder what that has to do with having an acoustic neuroma  ???  Perhaps nothing at all, just curious if someone could make a connection. 

It seems to be a better connection than cell phone use.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 12:47:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum and glad you found us. I see you you have received lots of greate responses. It's great!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:06 pm »
Hey Tammy, I just wanted to also officially welcome you to the forum!! I'm a newbie like yourself, but isn't it just awesome the support we have here?  Pretty soon you and I will nod knowingly when someone first introduces themselves on here and basically is crying "HELPPPPPP!!!!" because we were all there at one time.  You know, with the amount of research most of us puts in with these AN's, you'd think we could get some sort of diploma to hang on our walls like our doctor's do, as well versed we with this particular thing! lol!  Anyways, as I get closer to my surgery date (Dec 9th) at House with Dr's Brackmann and Schwartz, I'll let ya know how it goes and what needs to be done.  Take care and hang in there! :)
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Tamster

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 04:01:10 am »
Hey Jay,
   Looks like we're going to be HOUSE mates at the same time. My surgery is scheduled for December 8th.  We'll no doubt be navigating the halls together. (Images of pin ball and bumper cars)  I look forward to meeting you in a few short weeks.

Tammy

Tamster

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:01 am »
Hi, Tammy!  Here's another welcome...what part of the country are you in?  I see you play tennis!  I just walked in the door from a match with my husband...I'm almost one year post op, but was back on the courts about 8 weeks post op.  Sure you'll be back out there soon also.  I had surgery at House also (Dr. Friedman).  You'll be in very good hands.  Let us know if you have any questions about traveling for surgery (I assume you'll be traveling).

Cindy

Wow, 8 weeks post op, and back on the courts! I would love to have that kind of recovery! Here's hoping! Yes, I am an avid tennis player, usually play 4 times a week. You'd think I'd be getting good at it by now--- oh well! LOL  I'll be traveling from Salt Lake City to House for surgery on December 8th. Where do you live Cindy, maybe we can meet up for a tennis match sometime around Valentines Day?  8)

cindyj

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 07:32:24 am »
Yes, I was back on the courts pretty quick, but took it pretty easy for awhile.  But, as you know, it's hard to stay off the courts for too long.  I will admit, however, that tennis does challenge the vestibular system more than many other things I do.  Tracking the ball and all the side to side movement and up and down with the head...can be a litttle tough.  It has not been enough to stop me, though.  And, I count it as therapy!  I'm north of Atlanta...huge tennis town.  Where are you? 

Enjoy as much tennis as you can til Dec!  Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about House, Seton, etc

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »
welcome in tamster !!!!!!!! the ewwwwwwwwww factor pops up once in awhile.  ;D

but it's more of a shock to them just like it was to us . find a local support group if you can as well.

this forum can be a good place for fears, tears, and suport as well. i'm coming up on 2 yrs post op and while some issues remain, they are all minor compared to the tumor in the old brain pan........

once again welcome
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here