Author Topic: HELP FOR TINNITUS  (Read 13443 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: HELP FOR TINNITUS
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:52 am »
My last hearing test was in the summer of '08, some weeks after my surgery. I do think it's time for another one.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 05:24:49 pm »
I too have T in my good ear.  It is intermittant, but has been mroe frequently lately. It freaks me out everythime I get it because I just can't bear the though of having it in both ears.  It's loud enough in my AN ear to cover both ears thank you very much!

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Mei Mei

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »
I agree with you that there's something to having a hearing aid to trick the brain into thinking we are hearing and we'll be like we were before surgery and the Tinnitus will lessen.   I haven't seen this in the literature but will let you know after I search around.   I did shoot this question to the TransEar Rep on the website and she wrote back that it's not supposed to help but some people report that it does.

I hope it does because it looks like that's where I'm headed someday.

Take care and let me know what you find and I will do the same!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 11:11:33 am »
My wife has complained for years about Tinnitus and she has no AN and no symptoms that she would have one. She also had an MRI about 8 years ago for another purpose and there was no indication. Her theory is possible inflammation, lack of sleep, lack of exercise, poor diet, sugar (she is also hypoglycemic), caffeine, alcohol (I hesitate to add, "you name it" but the phrase seems to fit) . . .

I don't know if any of the above is any help, but in the case that it is, well, there you go.

I think the point is that even though we who have ANs generally have the T, anyone else can have one, too. Therefore, to have T in our good ear is attributable to anything, not just the (or an) AN. Does that make sense? 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:55:54 pm by 6pick »
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »
I can't prove it but I've read that approximately 15 -20% of the U.S. population suffers with tinnitus. That's over 40 million people. There is no cure (yet), the causes given are myriad and basically come down to guesswork, much like the supposed causes for the growth of acoustic neuromas.  That AN patients usually suffer with tinnitus unilaterally or bilaterally seems as much coincidence as anything.  While severe tinnitus can be debilitating, out of necessity, most tinnitus sufferers mange to adapt and deal with it.  I'm one of the 'lucky' tinnitus sufferers; I have it bilaterally but it is mild and I can ignore it. 

I should add that I drink 7 or 8 cups of caffeinated coffee every day and have never noticed an effect on my tinnitus one way or the other.  In case anyone is interested - I sleep very well.  Perhaps I'm atypical of most tinnitus sufferers but these are the circumstances surrounding my tinnitus situation.  Evidently, every tinnitus sufferer has a noticeably different experience.   For whatever it may be worth, this is mine.   

Jim  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:01:36 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »
I agree with you that there's something to having a hearing aid to trick the brain into thinking we are hearing and we'll be like we were before surgery and the Tinnitus will lessen.   I haven't seen this in the literature but will let you know after I search around.   I did shoot this question to the TransEar Rep on the website and she wrote back that it's not supposed to help but some people report that it does.

Mei Mei

I know that I been trying in my mind to control tinnitus. But mind over mater doesn't seam to work for me. What does work. Is I still remember what it is like to hear a noise with both ears at the same time. And I'll play sounds with my MP3 player and then fake in my mind that I hear it both sides. And guess what. Tinnitus seams to lower by a good bit. But it does NOT completely go away.

I can confirm. Caffeine and stress make it worst and everytime I yawn its like level 9-10. Also before I sleep at night mine seams very load and that's when I start tricking my mind to get it to calm down.

I do NOT have any problems getting to sleep with it. I do have problems when its load and I can NOT hear other soft sounds.

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 09:35:44 am »
...a sneezing fit seems to light off my tinnitus.   Kinda rings out for a few.....drag huh?   Makes spring time very interesting.   :D

For me when I'm very tired, or very stressed...the big "T" is front and center.  Being dehydrated also seems to affect it.

Most of the time I handle my "T" like kids playing in the next room.  You hear them for a while...but eventually it fades into the background.  This works for me.  BTW...did you ever notice that when you talk/type about it...it's loud and clear?  funny huh?

Take care all...and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

moe

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

BTW...did you ever notice that when you talk/type about it...it's loud and clear?  funny huh?

Kind of that mind over matter concept, eh? When I'm out and about I don't notice it AS much, but being indoors, at home, trying to relax, it comes screaming at me...
I am scheduled to get my processor tomorrow for my BAHA, (hopefully the site has healed enough). VERY interested to see how this will affect the tinnitus.. Fingers crossed!
Maureen
Happy Thanksgiving week :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 02:30:17 pm »
My fingers crossed for you too.   I will be thinking about you.  Best of luck tomorrow!
Mei Mei   :D
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh