Author Topic: HELP FOR TINNITUS  (Read 13441 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: HELP FOR TINNITUS
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:51 pm »
UPDATE,
   I'm done with the 14 day free trial of Tinnitus Tamer, and I have to admit,  I failed miserably because they suggest you use it 2-3x a day and I just didn't get to it enough.  But for the $35.00 to have access to it indefinetely, I will attempt to be more diligent as we get into winter when I'm a trainwreck with headaches and hibernate anyway, so should have more time......

In the emantime, I tried a BAHA demo,   AMAZING!!!.  I did not notice the tinnitus as much in the deaf ear when I had the demo on.   Still looking at the Transear which I kow won't be as good as a BAHA, but much less expensive and not surgery.  The suggestion is that when the brain starts thinking it is hearing, it won't pay as much attention to the tinnitus
More later

patti
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »
I'm glued . . .  ;D
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

moe

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:16:19 pm »
Got my BAHA today, round 2. The implant was already in the skull from the original brain surgery. They just screwed in the new one in the OR>
  We'll see if this new improved one helps with the tinnitus.
Will let you know!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:34 am »
You know, just occured to me,  these docs really need to chat with us about the BAHA before we go in for Translab surgery and install the darn screw at the same time.  By the time the incision is healed the screw wold be ready to start using the BAHA.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 10:57:59 am »
There are some Drs that will not do the AN & BAHA surgeries at the same time. I know that mine don't. They say that not everyone ends up liking their BAHA. My Drs prefer to have their patients use the tester first before they perform the BAHA surgery.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Mei Mei

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »
Hi Everybody,   I just saw this posting about Tinnitus today.   My doctor told me to take less caffein as that is supposed to increase the tinnitus.   He also said to listen to an iPod or MP3 player for 2 hours a day to alleviate the tinnitus.  This kind of sounds like the Tamer but without a special program, just anything you want to listen to.

I also notice if I have a glass of wine the tinnitus gets worse unfortunately.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 08:37:49 pm »
It always piques my curiosity when the discussion of tinnitus comes up.  I have read a lot about what people have tried and so far, NOTHING seems to work. At best the screaming can be quelled to a dull roar.  I look forward to seeing a discussion where one day someone says, I'm CURED!!! Until then I will keep monitoring these types of discussions!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:56 pm »
Syl is right.  Not all doctors will do a BAHA implant at the time they do the AN surgery.  My neurotologist does both procedures, but he will not combine them - and he's not alone in this.  To my knowledge, this is just his personal preference (other docs will combine the surgery).

As far as BAHAs and tinnitus, having a BAHA implant has no effect on tinnitus.  Won't make it better, won't make it worse.  If you don't have tinnitus prior to the implant, the implant won't cause it.  It won't eliminate it either.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:39 pm »
It always piques my curiosity when the discussion of tinnitus comes up.  I have read a lot about what people have tried and so far, NOTHING seems to work. At best the screaming can be quelled to a dull roar.  I look forward to seeing a discussion where one day someone says, I'm CURED!!! Until then I will keep monitoring these types of discussions!
Jay

I feel exactly as you do and hoping someday we can find relief ... Some people say you get use to it I wish I could say the same !

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 02:28:50 pm »
Hi Everybody,   I just saw this posting about Tinnitus today.   My doctor told me to take less caffein as that is supposed to increase the tinnitus.   He also said to listen to an iPod or MP3 player for 2 hours a day to alleviate the tinnitus.  This kind of sounds like the Tamer but without a special program, just anything you want to listen to.

I also notice if I have a glass of wine the tinnitus gets worse unfortunately.

Mei Mei

Mei mei,     
 you need to have more than one glass of wine,  that will take the "T" away....LOL 
 I have tried stopping caffine, ibupropin, wine, anything that has been suggested that add to tinnitus volume. It really doesn't seem to make a difference for me anyway. So I went back to my coffee & ibupropin for breakfast as that is the only thing that gets me going in the morning with the brainwrecks I wake with.   After having a mid fosa that left me with severly damaged hearing which caused the tinnitus to increase dramatically, and then a Translab which caused the tinnitus to increase through the roof, I am convinced that the lack of hearing anything else in the deaf ear is what makes the T seems so much louder.  I am hopeful that once I get a Transear, BAHA or something to make my brain start thinking that side is hearing, that it won't pay as much attention to the T.  That's my theory anyway ;)

Patti ut

Mei Mei

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 03:18:13 pm »
Makes sense to me.   I hope it works or anything you try works as Tinnitus is like a jail sentence...you can't get out!!!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 11:46:28 pm »
Tinnitus is like a jail sentence...you can't get out!!!

You got that right, Mei Mei!

Patti, i will continue to post here to let you k now if the BAHA  helps to buffer the tinnitus. I get the processor in 10 days (BAHA revision done this past Wednesday)

I was one of those who had the BAHA placed with the original brain surgery, because they knew I would lose my hearing. It was a nuisance actually, and my tinnitus was still pretty out of control, the thing wasn't working right after getting it "fixed" so I said "ah screw it for now" ;D and they simply removed the abutment. So you really don't know if it will work for you, plus my BAHA site got less attention than the other incision. Kept getting infected too.

I got an app on my "smart" phone for background  noises- waves crashing, beach, storm, cars, etc....... Cost 1.99
I plug it in the good ear and just try to focus on the sounds of the waves or whatever (there's like 20 to choose from). I actually like the hair dryer mode!

If you have a smart phone, look into it:) Well worth the 2 bucks.
Hang in there all you tinnitus sufferers!
Maureen

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:10 am »
Some people say you get use to it I wish I could say the same !

I think that to a certain extent I've gotten used to the tinnitus. I wish it would be consistent, though. When I have a headache, tinnitus is at its loudest. It's hard to ignore it when it changes it's tune so often. Unfortuantely, I have recently gotten tinnitus 24/7 in my other ear. It's much quieter than in my An ear, but I can't help but get concerned even if I just had a stable MRI in June.

Syl
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:07:18 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

moe

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 12:11:34 am »
Syl,
I also have tinnitus in my "good" ear. My last audiogram showed perfect hearing in THAT ear. That is always a concern for me too with the tinnitus in the "good ear."
I go for my 5 year MRI this summer.

When was the last time you had an audiogram?
Maureen

Mei Mei

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 07:10:22 am »
I don't blame you for worrying about tinnitus in the "good ear".   That was one of the signs the ENT looked for when I went in complaining about hearing loss and thought I had earwax or an infection.   He asked if I had tinnitus and I said yes and he sent me for an MRI where the AN was first diagnosed.

It's worrisome to have tinnitus there and no hearing loss.   What could be the cause of it?  How to find out?

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo