Author Topic: HELP FOR TINNITUS  (Read 13442 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
HELP FOR TINNITUS
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:45 pm »
HI All,
   I have been investigating a newer device called neuromonics for help with tinnitus.  It is suppose to be much better than tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT). Less time to work and less hassle for the patient.  It takes only 6 months of wearing the device 2 hours a day vs 2 years for TRT.  Like most hearing type devices most insurance won't cover it. it cost $3500.00 but the place I found it nearest my home will let me pay over 18 months w/o interest.  Check out their website at WWW.NEUROMONICS.COM. After you click on your country, click on the "A New Breakthrough"  at the top, then on the left click on "sound demo"  It gives you the various sounds of tinitus.  I found 3 of my sounds on there.  Good to play it for spouses/family so they can get an idea ofr hat it is we live with 24/7.  Very interesting and encouraging that there may be hope for lessoning the noise, as mine is pretty unbearable thest days.

Patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: HELP FOR TINNITUS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »
Patti .....

Thanks for the link and instructions on the neuromonics information.  $3500.00 is pretty steep when insurance will not cover it ..... but if it really works, it would be worth every penny.  Let us know what your results are ..... and thanks for being a Forum "guinea pig."   :-[

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »
Patti -

did a search on "neuromonics" because it sounded familiar, and found that Mickey did it.  You might want to read some of his posts about his experience with it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:09:22 pm »
Thanks,  I'll look at his posts, I postponed my appt to see if there is anything new I can add to our insurance next monthwhen we have open enrollment to get it covered.  Also,  had an appt with my ENT yesterday,  he said it's like an expensive iopd, but didn't really seem to know that much aobut it.  My impression is the surgeons just do surgery, and don't look into anything to help with the aftermath of the surgery.

patti ut
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:25:54 am »
Hi everyone! Yes I have done the Neuromonics procedure. It was quite expensive but my insurance covered 2/3 of the costs. If you fight with your insurance carrier as I did and explain this is a viable treatment for the relief of your problem they may help. Now, was it worth it? I would say so. With my tinnitus which I`ve had for close to 30 years it gave me relief. It hasn`t dissapeared (has reduced) and has made it much more manageable. Kind of puts it in a place of where its a part of your being and not so much an annoince. Best way I can descrbe it. Best wishes, Mickey

mellowrama

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:13 pm »
Hi Patty,

Since you're planning on having surgery I'd wait for any tinnitus treatment, as it could effect the tinnitus.  I've read where people that have it come out without it after surgery and vice versa (as in my case). melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:31:17 pm »
Melinda,
  your tinnitus actually went away?????  that is fantastic.  Mine was pretty loud before my middle fosa 5 years ago and got much louder after the surgery. The last year or so it has increased in volume even more to the point of driving me crazy. There is no ignoring it. The second I open my eyes in the morning, there it is screaming.  So anything that will help I am willing to look at.  My biggest fear is of it getting even worse again after the next surgery.  I really can't imagine life with it much louder than it is now.  I had a great dream about a month ago. That I woke from the translab surgery and it was dead silent.  I was estatic to have the tinnitus gone and didn't care about loosing the rest of my hearing for silence. Unfortunately, I woke up and realized it was a dream.  Hey, dreams can come true , right?  :o)

patti ut

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:27:11 pm »
If they came out with a for sure solution in AN surgery to get rid of tinnitus, I doubt if you would have any Wait+Watchers. Me for one! haha, Mickey

mellowrama

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:44:30 am »
hi patti,
no, the tinnitues got much worse after surgery! 

Barely noticible on some occasions prior, really bad following surgery...might be slowly getting better.  That or else I'm adjusting to it and hypercusis...

I didn't know you already had sugery, but if you're having translab in Jan I would wait for tinnitus treatment until after the surgery as it may change the outcome anyway.  I've read where other people said they were better after surgery, but that doesn't seem as likely as it getting worse.
best wishes, melinda

22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

moe

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:37:26 am »
  I had a great dream about a month ago. That I woke from the translab surgery and it was dead silent.  I was estatic to have the tinnitus gone

Sounds like you died and went to heaven! That is the only way my tinnitus will go away, I've decided.
I take xanax .5 mg two times/day and it has brought it from a scream to a screach. My psychiatrist OK'd it, and it has been OK'd by the ATA org for treatment of tinnitus.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:49:00 pm »
AN update since I started this thread a year ago.  I had the Translab (second AAN surgery) in jan 2010.  The tinniuts unfortunatley has gottne mych much worse.  I really didn't think it could get louder, but it truly is ruining my life.  I am still not sold on the Neuromonics idea due to being single sided deaf now.  I did however find a program on line called Tinnitus Tamer that looks to be similar. You download it onto your computer and use it right on your computer with headphones.  You can download it to an Ipod too.  I just bearly found this and it'S only $35.00  so I figured, even if it doesn't work as well for 1/2 deaf people as it would for hearing folks. it's really worth the $35.00 to check it out.  Just downloading it today.  I'll let you know how it pans out.
the link is           www.vavsoft.com   click on Tinnitus Tamer

ALso, the book by Kevin Hogan,  Tinnniuts, turning down the volume  is helpful. He suggests using hypnotherapy which I am looking into as well

patti ut

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »
This sounds very interesting ..... hope it works for you.  Be sure to let us know.  I noticed there is a 14-day free trial period.  However, I do not think that would be long enough to really assess whether it will work or not ..... it is doubtful (IMO) that the brain could be retrained that quickly.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:14 pm »
Thanks for the info Patti.
Someone else asked if anyone had tried hypnosis for tinnitus (Maybe it was you? ;D)
I said no, but let me know if you do try it and how it works.
So ditto the previous sentence.
I'm fixn to get the BAHA soon and am told it "might" help the tinnitus, but am not keeping my hopes up.
Hypnoses sounds good to me........
I'm sure my husband will poo poo that idea, but no one understands unless you've been "there." The screechy land that never changes.
Hang in there  ;) All we can do..Will be interesting if you try the hypnoses. It may seem like "grasping at straws" but like I've said before, hope is the only thing that keeps me going.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »
The only good thing that I can say about my tinnitus is it quiets the voices.  ;D

AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »
Patti UT - I'm throwin' my hat in with everyone who's interested in hearing how your research turns out.

You GO girl!   :D

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change