Author Topic: Yikes; CSF leak or cold?  (Read 20631 times)

Lilan

Yikes; CSF leak or cold?
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »
I have had a cold (I think) for a few weeks and just can't shake the cough I've had the last few weeks -- so I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. I was thinking it was maybe bronchitis but was doing a little research just now b/c the doctor working the Saturday shift doesn't know me or my history, so I wanted to at least alert him to the possibility of CSF leak if that might be possible -- and now I'm wondering if I might actually have one!  :o

I did the lean-over-for-several-minutes test and have no fluid coming out of my nose, but I have steady post-nasal drip and a bad taste. I wonder if the strain of coughing could've caused a leak, even if it was a cold originally? I suppose it could also just be sinus yuckiness.

I haven't had fever or other symptoms, so I kept thinking it'd clear up, but it hasn't. Now I'm afraid I have a leak!!!

I hope the Saturday doctor can figure it out for me tomorrow and that it's good news.  :)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Cheryl R

Re: Yikes; CSF leak or cold?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »
My guess is that you have a sinus problem and the drip can cause a cough.               My neurotologist goes by the drip drip like a faucet from the bend over test and that is what I had when I had the leak.           This was 2 weeks post op.               Let us know what you do find out as I am always curious with this.   
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
Lilan -

I'm guessing a cold - but you never know.  Definitely mention your surgical history to the doc tomorrow - and please let us know what his diagnosis is.

Hoping for the best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:09:33 am »
Thanks for the support, ladies! I think I had Internet-Medical-Reading-Itis last night.  ;D

Now I'm back to thinking it's sinus. I have absolutely no fluid in my nose, it's all head and chest.

I swear, I need a Medical Site Blocker function on this thing.

(But I will mention it to him just in case! Always have to be vigilant.)
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:50:25 am »
I have had a cold (I think) for a few weeks and just can't shake the cough I've had the last few weeks -- so I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. I was thinking it was maybe bronchitis but was doing a little research just now b/c the doctor working the Saturday shift doesn't know me or my history, so I wanted to at least alert him to the possibility of CSF leak if that might be possible -- and now I'm wondering if I might actually have one!  :o

I did the lean-over-for-several-minutes test and have no fluid coming out of my nose, but I have steady post-nasal drip and a bad taste. I wonder if the strain of coughing could've caused a leak, even if it was a cold originally? I suppose it could also just be sinus yuckiness.

I haven't had fever or other symptoms, so I kept thinking it'd clear up, but it hasn't. Now I'm afraid I have a leak!!!

I hope the Saturday doctor can figure it out for me tomorrow and that it's good news.  :)

I have the same thing and my doctors said it wasn't a CSF just sinus.....but the bad taste I have is like metal they said that might not go away !!!! yuck

Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

another NY postie

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:14:38 pm »
Hoping it is sinuses!  But you bring up a question about CSFs for me.  I was thinking that when I reach the 4 week mark next week that I am pretty much home free..but maybe I am totally wrong on this one...anybody know how far out from surgery are we at risk for CSFs?
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:35:24 pm »
Hey Lilan~
Let us know what you find out - bet it is just sinuses!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »
I do not have a CSF leak, it appears.  ;)

The doctor said there is absolutely no reason to think it's CSF and every reason to think it's a classic upper respiratory thing. He said CSF would be more "acute," not lasting for three weeks and manifesting only as coughing and post-nasal drip.

Since it has lingered so long, he prescribed an antibiotic. He actually said my lungs sounded good, which surprised me because my upper chest feels so wheezy and congested. He did say there's fluid behind my left ear, so that may explain the extra fullness I've had, and he recommended a decongestent also. I suppose there still may be some fluid in there from the surgery, too, so if there are bacteria swarming around from whatever this is, better to kill them off!

Cheryl: I remember hearing that by 10 days, when they let you fly home after surgery, the odds of CSF leak are 1-in-1,000. So I assume that once you get into weeks and months, the odds are very, very, very minimal!

(Of course, having a geniculate hemangioma has MUCH higher odds than CSF leak to begin with, so high odds don't reassure me all that much anymore in and of themselves. Hee-hee.)

Hopefully the antibiotic just knocks this out! I've had enough for one year! (For 10 or 50 years, actually!)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:25:45 am by Lilan »

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »
Lilan .....

So glad that it appears you have a nasty sinus infection and not a CSF leak.  I think many of us live with fears that we did not have before ..... since having ANs.  All of a sudden every earache, stuffy head, new dizziness, etc. make me jump to wondering if it is AN related.  Comes with the territory, I guess.

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:20 pm »
Lilan -

glad to hear it wasn't a CSF leak.

Get well  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 10:26:40 pm »
So glad that it appears you have a nasty sinus infection...

Sorry, Clarice, but it made me laugh. :)

Lilan, I wish you didn't have anything. I'm convinced that sinuses remain sensitive after ANs; I hope your current infection clears up soon, and that they are few and far between.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:06 am »
I think I had Internet-Medical-Reading-Itis last night.
Curse you Al Gore and your evil Interwebs!!!  ;)

Only this group would be celebrating a sinus infection!  But it is actually good news so I guess congratulations are in order  :D
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
I am happy for you too - congrats on your sinus infection  ;)

I was very concerned for you when I came across this post.  Hopefully with the antibiotic you will see improvements quickly!  A
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Kiwi Don

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 02:03:41 pm »
Hi Lillian,
Glad things have worked out for the better, I will try and send warm dry weather for the Southern Hemisphere for you.
Rgds
Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

Lilan

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
Thanks everyone! My first surgery cold -- yet another milestone I guess  :D

I agree sinuses are extra-sensitive. I could feel the fluid slosh in my ear and it hurt!! And my head hurt, too.

They gave me a Z-Pak of antibiotic and it's helping a lot. The coughing is 80% better I'd say already. And I took a decongestant, which helps too.

Thank heaven it was nothing more serious!

And I am definitely getting a flu shot and probably should get the H1N1 shot, too -- I don't want anything else this year! ;D