Author Topic: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!  (Read 210725 times)

Mei Mei

Re: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2012, 09:50:55 am »
I am probably going to get either the TransEar from Johnson City, Tenn or the Cross.

I had great experience with my interactions with Dr. Schumaier.    Sonitus said in an email that they wouldn't do Pre-auth for me.     They had no answer for me that it is currently a Pilot Study (I hear Beta calling out to me) and no answer that in DC they are charging me about $1500 for the dentist and then $7,000 after one year when the insurance finally says no after several appeals.   I did the appeals myself and was denied and then called the union and they said our particular policy does not cover anything to do with it be it hearing aid, device or prosthetic.   Flat no.
They had no answer as to why Arasha and all the people on the Clinical trials are getting to use what they are expecting me to pay in the end over $8000.
TransEar helps you with the pre auth and I hear good reports.    Dr. Monfared told me in an email that he won't help with the pre auth.

I went to a local audiologist in Silver Spring nearby and he said he prefers Cros to TransEar.    I met someone at our Local support group two weeks ago and he just got one....very pleased.   With the price you pay for Sonitus, you could buy several of these.    More expensive insn't necessarily better.

Hope you don't buy anything on a Pilot Study or in Clinical Trial.    As a professional retired, I used to run pilot studies and clinical trials.   No patient was ever asked to pay a penny.   Please learn more about this situation.   I don't want you all to get burned.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #346 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:25 am »
Seattle WA ( Northwest) ...we have providers now.    :)

Sonitus emailed these names:
Trained:  
Dr. Alan Langman MD/Iris Langman (Audiologist)
Puget Sound Hearing and Balance
In Training:
Minor and James- Bellevue,WA
Claire Kilcoyne – Audiologist
Dic k Hoisted, MD

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #347 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:51 pm »
I asked and Sonitus wrote:

"It is not in a pilot study pilot device. We have full FDA clearance.  We do have long term after market studies going on to continue to add to our clinical profile, which is common for all medical devices." 

Mei Mei

« Reply #348 on: May 26, 2012, 10:39:54 pm »
That's not what Dr. Monfared told me.   It was clearly in the papers I was to sign.    I also posted the link to the NIH Clinical Trials that Sonitus is on throughout the country.    I'm sure they've been reading my posts and are trying to cover up.
I can repost Dr. Monfared's letter here if you like.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:03 am »
BAHA, CROS and TransEar are not running Clinical Trials or Pilot Studies.
The people on the Clinical Trials now going on across the country at NIH sites are getting their devices for free.   How do you feel about going to a Pilot Study site and having to pay $1500 up  front and another $7000 while the people on the Clinical Trials are getting theirs for free.   For me, it's a no brainer, but then I'm not living on unlimited funds.   I have to watch my money as I'm now retired on Disability since the surgery.

Here is what my Pilot Study doctor said:

Ashkan Monfared
7/28/11

to Christine, Shelly, me, Rachel
Dear Ms. Wang,
As of now there is no preauthorization.  We are following the guidelines from the company.  Irrespective of insurance coverage the patients are responsible for $1500 first.  If you are concerned, understandably so, about the coverage, you can wait till the insurance company creates an authorization for this device.  That is why we have a pilot study so Sonitus can submit all the authorization requests to the insurance at the same time and make a case for approval.  If you would like to wait till insurance company approves the device we should hold off submitting your case to them.  Please also wait to see Dr. Singer for now since he is paid from the $1500 you pay, through Sonitus.

I think this device would be very helpful for you but it would be safest financially to wait the few months and receive authorization from the insurance company.  You would still be responsible for the $1500 from my understanding.

It was great meeting you in person and thank you again for the thoughtful gift,
Thank you,
Ashkan

As it turns out my policy won't pay a penny of the $1500 or $7000 either.   They would not pay the BAHA.     When Dr. Niparko's resident told him I wasn't interested in the BAHA, he walked out of the room without saying goodbye.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #350 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
My daughter is hopeful and exited to get the Soundbite.
It's a new prosthetic so the I guess we all take the risk of our individual insurances not paying.

I am in contact with Sonitus and they are seeking a designated code to file insurance claims.  In the interim, Sonitus Medical plans to use a micellaneous prosthetics code (L9900) for filing claims.  It would appear to me they would love to get all our insurance companies to pay for the Soundbite and are doing everything they can to make this happen.
Sonitus has provided me an information sheet to assist in the pre auth process.

In the event that a claim is ultimately denied after appeals etc... Sonitus said that they have a variety of patient assistance programs based on patient need and circumstances.   

bobby_bbk

« Reply #351 on: May 30, 2012, 01:25:49 am »
I am new here and aslo got SSD for almost ten years in China. When i go  to hospital, the doctors always say there's no way to cure but to protect your good ear.Of course, Baha now can help us in china, while it costs too much (more than 10,000 dollars)  which many people can't afford it.Now i find that SoundBite could improve our hearing  on the internet.So i find the forum for more information.
I have two questions below ,please help me if you can:
I hope the BTE part of the SoundBite will be smaller like the CIC hearing aid in the ear canal, which  almost can't be seen by others because of i was only 25.  You konw, the new CROS have made so smaller in the  ear. Is the BTE part can't be smaller in the ear canal??? 
The second question is how does  your insurance  cover your hearing aid in the USA,even SoundBite? In China, the insurance don't cover the hearing aid ,so it often costs too much to have a hearing aid.Thanks for your attention.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:18:27 am by bobby_bbk »

sues1953

« Reply #352 on: June 26, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
Hi all,  I havn't posted in forever because I'm doing so well and very busy with life. :D  I had surgery 2 years ago and am SSD in my right ear.  The Detroit free press just printed and article in the health section of Sunday's paper 6/24/12 on the Soundbite.  Anyone read it?  It sounds so promising.  Thanks for any input.

Susan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

aericksen

« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »
I have been using the SoundBite since November 2011.  It is not a perfect resolution to SSD however it greatly improves your hearing.  I have been told by several people that they can see a difference when my ITM is not in my mouth.  I have really found a great benefit in using it.

KKorkut

« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2012, 05:12:45 am »
Hi aericksen,
you said that Soundbite is not a perfect solution but it greatly improves your hearing.
Can you please give more detail about how Soundbite improved your hearing. Also what are the weak points of the device? Why dou you think that it is not perfect?

As I am planning to use Soundbite your experiences are very valuable for me.

Best Regards,

Koray

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »
We all enjoy hearing good news!
A "good" solution works for me..."perfect" is not expected.

bobby_bbk

« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2012, 11:55:01 pm »
what's the  weakness?

kaykay

« Reply #357 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:41 am »
ive been using the soundbite for a year now. i love it.
Im not sure what they think the weakness is....the only thing I dont like is it can squeal (like a regular hearing aid)...ive had it adjusted a few times.......im actually going back next month for another adjustment so they can turn it up more. ;)
i love the fact that i dont have a hole drilled in my head..i have a device i can remove and not a screw left in my head.
no one ever notices when im wearing it, unless it squeals. lol
i can hear the birds chirp...talk on the telephone...and use my ear like its normal. (just cant wear earbuds)
ive tried the transear, but that was too uncomfortable and didnt have a good contact with the bone.
so to me, this is the best alternative to have normal hearing again.

aericksen

« Reply #358 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »
Sorry I haven't posted any responses.  Don't get me wrong, I love my soundbite and the quality of my hearing has greatly improved.  I would have to agree the only real issue is when it decides to squeal and make a loud screech.  The last time I got my sound bite adjusted they made some good adjustments, it doesn't make noises like it use too.  It has been a good thing.

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #359 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

I too have been out of this forum for a while, sorry!  Despite the feedback that sometimes I experience with my SoundBite, I just want to say that SoundBite has greatly improved my daily life and I feel very lucky to have it.

All the best,
Gloria.

Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.