Author Topic: New procedure for migraine relief  (Read 3292 times)

jerseygirl

New procedure for migraine relief
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »
I just read this in the news:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/168213.php

Hope it helps somebody.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New procedure for migraine relief
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:35:41 pm »
Eve ~

Interesting article regarding the recent success of nerve decompression surgery to relieve migraine headaches.  Although there are the expected, specific parameters to being a candidate for this surgery, the results appear to be impressive for those who qualify.  Thanks for posting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »
Hey Eve! thanks for sharing this... I had to look as well (as I've been diagnosed with 3 different kinds of migraines -- non-AN related) so it definately piqued my interest.

For the back of the head process, it doesn't sound too far off from Chiari 1 decompression surgery.. and for those I know that had CM1 surgery, their migraines also aleviated, so there has to be something to it.

the article does note a "criteria" for patients, which I found interesting:

"At this time, not all migraine sufferers are eligible for surgery. Candidates for the procedure must experience migraines caused by a specific trigger site and must have benefited from Botox treatment consistently over the course of several months. Three of the most common trigger sites include the frontal (forehead), occipital (back of head) and temporal (temples) region. Once the trigger site is identified, the surgery is then performed to release nerve tension around that given region."

The part in "bold" is what intrigues me... I'd be curious as to why they deem a criteria for successful Botox treatments to be part of the criteria... just curiousity killing the cat :)

glad to hear this gentleman found relief through this procedure....   

thanks again for sharing,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »
Hi, Phyl,

The criteria intrigued me,too. Some people on this forum experience success, albeit temporary, with Botox. So, I figured, they might experience permanent pain relief with this procedure.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
The Botox paralyzes the muscle and surrounding tissue that is irritating the nerve and making it misfire.  I can actually feel this happening in my own head with my occipital nerve on my surgical side.  I believe the muscle and surrounding tissue was damaged from the splint they had my head in for the surgery, although I may have already had some defomities in the area because I had some headaches in the same place pre-op.  The splint just did further damage.  I haven't had botox yet because my insurance wouldn't pay for it.  Now that I'm on Medicare, I don't know if it will pay for it or not.  I have had Depomedrol nerve blocks in the greater and lesser occipital nerves and they seemed to help a lot.  Botox is a lot less damaging than the Depomedrol, which is a steroid. 

The theory is that if the Botox works, surgery to make room for the nerve is a more permanent fix.  Unfortunately, the clinic in Cleveland does not take anone's insurance because the surgery is still deemed "experimental" but that may change soon.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW