Author Topic: out of province insurance application  (Read 5069 times)

opp2

out of province insurance application
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:14:25 am »
Have any of you canadians gone the route? I've been told I have to have prior approval for out of province coverage and my doctor has to apply for it. This is straight from OHIP. Ontario Health Insurance Program.

Did you print off a form? Did your doctor?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

Re: out of province insurance application
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:24 am »
Nikki
When I was thiinking of going to USA for treatment (ck) as it wasnt available in Canada at that point, I contacted OHIP and they game they sent me a form....in the end I went with the team in Ottawa....I am back to work now ( just yesterday) and I feel great....I was going to go for CPPD but I wasnt going to let 'booger' take my livelyhood away.  My team did an excellent job....I am 90% (not without a few setbacks, like low grade headaches) back to normal....Other then my staggering gait(when tired) one wouldnt know I had brain surgery.
Good luck iJO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

twinfan

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:55:31 am »
Hi
I have been following along on this forum since I was diagnosed with my an in March. I was told by my ent that I should go to London Ont. for surgery. I found this forum and discovered that I had other options.  My ent then said I should go to Toronto for gk. I had my family doctor refer me to Winnipeg because they had been doing this procedure longer then TORONTO   The doctor there said there should not be any problem with billing ohip.
ANY way, long story short I had  GK on June 25th and ohip did cover everything.
I hope this helps
Terry

opp2

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »
Thanks Terry. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your GK surgery. I hope you are recovering well.

Did you have to take the application to your GP?

Nikki
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:50:23 pm by opp2 »
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

twinfan

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »
Nikki
We phoned  ohip to find out if we were covered and they said if it was an approved procedure then it was covered. There was no application to fill out as Winnipeg billed ohip directly.When  we went for my consultation,the doctor said they would get approval and then make the arrangements. We never filled out any forms or applications.
Winnipeg made everything extremely easy. The fact that we live in northern ontario, we did file for a northern ontario travel grant and that was filed out by my family doctor as well as the dr. in Winnipeg. They paid for me and my wife to fly and stay in Winnipeg.
What type of treatment are you considering?
Terry

opp2

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:27:13 pm »
I would like to have a consult with Dr. Akagami in BC for surgery. I don't know what he'll recommend. Some have said his preference is to do Retrosig. Every other surgeon so far has said they prefer translab. I will go with the one who gives me the best odds of the best result for the facial nerve. I have to say, I really want to keep my hearing apparatus intact even if I do lose the hearing. The reasoning is that medical advances are so fast we don't know what they'll be able to do for the nerves in 10 years, but if I don't have the semicircular canals, the hammer and all the other stuff it won't matter. Call me crazy...might as well, I'm driving myself crazy.