Author Topic: Let's talk slivers  (Read 17174 times)

PaulW

Re: Let's talk slivers
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »
I believe if a sliver is left behind the chances of regrowth are small like less than 4%
As a result there really is no need to radiate unless it grows....
There are restrictions on how much radiation you can have.. So being radiated once or possibly twice is normally the limit...
You don't really want to waste that option on something that might happen.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

epc1970

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 08:58:59 am »
As I understand it, the likelyhood of growth of a tumor remnant is correlated to the remaining tumor volume in cm cubed. I have read a few study results which indicate this conclusion. Off the top of my head, I think that if the volume of the residual tumor is less than or equal to .22cm cubed, the chance of regrowth is that of a full resection. However, like every thing else, we each have our own personal set of factors that effect our prognosis. For example, though my remaining tumor volume is less than .22 cm cubed, I am only 37, which according to my surgeon, makes him more concerned that my tumor will begin to grow at some point.

Hope all have a great day and take good care!

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 08:27:50 am »
I was told total tumor removal, but MRI was done post op & still showed 4-5 mm enhancement? So what was the point of having Retrosigoid surgery(original only 9mm)? I have suffered for 9 years with constant HA's, skull pain, partial facial palsy, eyelid does not close fully, etc!!!!
M
I was left in the pre-op holding area for 6 hours, while my surgeon Dr Evans fixed an emergency aneurysm or another patient. Dr Wilcox the neuro-otologist was waiting, waiting etc since that surgery had nothing to do with him, so I believe in retrospect he rushed thru my surgery & did a horrible job& basically ruined my life as I knew it!
The whole time I was waiting my wife thought I was in surgery. I should have been given the option to reschedule, but this never happened, I was just left in the pre op hallway, being a nervous wreck& talking to other patients going into surgery. Jefferson failed me all the way around!
Months in their headache clinic as a human drug guinea pig, and so many follow up visits to basically be told, we do the surgery, we don't try to fix your post op complications!
I have found an amazing MD who does accupuncture which has helped the HA's very much, but everything else has been unsuccessful.
Now 9 years later I'm having problems & need to get a mri to see what's up. I will NEVER go back to anyone at Jefferson for this.
Does anyone in the Philadelphia area have any experience with Dr. Lee @ Penn?, positive & negative would be appreciated.
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(