Author Topic: BP100 or Intenso?  (Read 2521 times)

Muizen

BP100 or Intenso?
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:04:13 am »
On Nov 30th I had two implants placed and I am now in the process of deciding what Baha will work best for me: BP100 or Intenso.
I have 2 BP100's (one programmed for use on the left side one for the right side) and 1 Intenso on trial and it is now up to me to select the unit that functions best for me!
My observations are that when using one unit, the BP100 offers a better more natural sound but I feel that I would like to have somewhat more amplification power.
The Intenso meets my hearing needs fully but the sound (somewhat 'metallic' with some 'echo') is not as pleasant as that from the BP100 and there seems to be some distortion of what I hear when I use values just over 2 on the amplification scale. I need a minimum of 2.
When testing one BP100, left or right, it does not make much difference at all whether I place the unit on the implant close to my deaf ear or on the implant close to my 'not-so-bad' ear.

I also tested two BP100's placed simulthaneous on both implants which gives excellent results but with private costs over $8.700 (€6.700) is for me a very large investment!
Moreover it is less complicated to use just 1 unit.

Can anybody be of to the point advise?
Thanks on beforehand.
Harry

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BP100 or Intenso?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:53 am »
Harry -

I only wear one BAHA (currently a Divino; my BP100 is on backorder) so I really don't know anything about wearing two.

Can your doctor or audiologist give you some input on this decision?

I know that the Intenso is more powerful than the Divino - and the BP100 - but is it twice as powerful?  Would it need to be if you are only wearing one?

Did you know that the Intenso will be getting an upgrade with the Spring?  I'd imagine it will follow the same prinicpal as the Divino & the BP100 - that is, be an upgrade, which should give you some added programmability.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:58:05 am »
I am somewhat in the same situation but with only one implant..I have an old Divino on loan to try it out until next friday...then I get to try an even older intenso for awhile...then I have to decide whiich one I want...So far I keept the Divino at 3, the highest setting...my good ear is slightly impaired. ....Tonight i get to try it at work. I'm a driver ed instructor and I will be in class tonight...I find there isnt really much difference whether I wear the unit or not at home.  It does however pick up more 'noise'/sound waves and if I do block my good ear I can hear what is being said....decisions decisions
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:18:36 am »
Harry,

It sounds as though you've done a thorough analysis of what works better under what circumstances, etc., and I would suggest getting advice from your audiologist/doctor. I wear an Intenso -- and am planning to switch to the presumably forthcoming programmable version as soon as it becomes available -- but I wouldn't venture a guess as to what would work best for you. I hope you'll be able to get some good answers from your professionals!

Catherine (jerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:43:43 pm »
I was to get an Intenso today but my audiologist suggested we wait til her BP100 demo becomes available...We may even wait til the upgraded intenso comes out...She feels at best at this time, the BP100 would be beter instead of an on the way out intenso
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:51 pm »
Jo,

I've just responded to the PM you sent me re: this issue.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ