Author Topic: Brain Blood Flow is affected by balance organs  (Read 3578 times)

jerseygirl

Brain Blood Flow is affected by balance organs
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:03:23 pm »
Hi,

Here is an article that explains how brain blood flow is affected by balance organs - most of us have them removed/altered at least on one side:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/164924.php

I think I can understand now how some people might have memory and other cognitive problems even though surgery was nowhere near in neurosurgical terms. I also understand how Gingko Biloba makes me think straight again - it improves cerebral blood flow!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

opp2

Re: Brain Blood Flow is affected by balance organs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:20 am »
It certainly makes sense to me. And  helps a great deal. I suffer most of my symptoms (outside of persistent numbness and tingling in the cheek and tongue) when I move from sitting to standing. It doesn't matter if it is rising rapidly or not (which used to cause issues).

Just musing here, but I have suffered problems with what I thoughts was postural hypotension since I was a kid/teen) You know, stand up and get dizzy. Well my AN is 2.9cm and if it is growing 1-2 mm per year (average growth rate according the AN site posted on someone's sig line) then I wonder if I've had this little devil since I was 14-15 years old.

I'm starting to think if my AN as my other conscience. The one that is always there, sometimes talks to me, sometimes just kicks my a** for no reason.

:D

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:34:28 pm »
Ahhh....so that explains it...I thought....what was it we are talking about again?..... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 08:45:00 pm »
Hmmmmm, very interesting.  Does this explain why the disorientation/balance issue is worse immediately upon standing up?  As a young person, I always had to be very careful not to stand up rapidly when awakening in the morning or I risked blacking out ..... presumably postural hypotension.  Now that I am a controlled hypertensive, I do not have that problem.  However, since my AN surgery I have to be very careful when standing from a sitting position to wait until I am oriented before beginning to walk.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011