Author Topic: Saw a terrific audiologist and he says go with normal hearing aid!! Thoughts?  (Read 22172 times)

amymeri

Hi everyone

I would really appreciate insight and feedback.

I am SSD on the right.  I find that most of the time it doesn't bother me but in restaurants, while driving and trying to talk to a passenger, while going on walks, etc, the jockying around is what bugs me.  It's not a daily problem...more like a semi-weekly adjustment.

Went to see a terrific audiologist and tried the BAHA demonstrator and loved it.  I couldn't really tell a difference in normal conversation in a quiet office (because I have perfect hearing in the good ear) but plugging my good ear really showed how well it works.

BUT he also had me try a single, normal, in ear (not Transear) amplifier hearing aid and it worked too!  It wasn't quite as good, but still pretty good and good enough to hear speech clearly.

He said that he thought that a surgical implant and the lifetime care of the BAHA might be a lot to do for what I want the hearing aid for and the transear can cause a lot of discomfort and need a lot of fitting.  He said he thinks the specialized bone conduction craze is overblown and that for my situation a regular aid would work fine to create bone conduction without a special aide or surgery.

And it DID work.

He was totally supportive and informative on all the different options, so I didn't feel pushed at all.  

Has anyone tried this?  I am really tempted to try it (especially since I can try it free for six weeks) and avoid surgery and having a screw in my head.  Also it is in ear, so I can wear my riding helmet, hats etc, without a problem.

Thoughts??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:40:43 pm by amymeri »
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

jerseygirl

Which one is it and how much does it cost?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
I think (moderator) Steve has a normal hearing aid...........  He should be able to add his $0.02 in.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

amymeri

Re: Saw a terrific audiologist and he says go with normal hearing aid!! Thought
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »
Almost any kind would work.  It doesn't have to be a bells and whistles type just loud.  He said final cost about $1200 including all the audiology bills.  The actual aid is about $800.  Baha would be free, except surgical and office copays.

I think is was an Oticon brand...this one, I believe...the oticon Hit

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/pf_article_detail.asp?article_id=1629
An interesting discussion of the traditional CROS, the transcranial CROS (What I am considering) and the true bone conduction.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:35:42 pm by amymeri »
Amy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Amy -

interesting that the hearing aid is by Octicon.  Did your audiologist tell you that Octicon is entering the market with their first BAHA device (the Ponto) next month?

Although I'm admittedly pro-BAHA, the fact that Octicon has developed a BAHA device gives me the impression that they feel it's a step above their conventional hearing aids.  But I could be wrong.

As I always say, the BAHA is not for everyone.  I have one and I love it - I'm anxiously awaiting an upgrade from the Cochlear Divino to the BP100 in the next few months - but in all fairness I've never worn a conventional aid so I really can't compare it to the BAHA.

I didn't mind the surgery (easy, fast, outpatient procedure), I don't mind the hole in my head (no issues with pain or anything else) and I love the fact that I don't wear a hearing aid in my ear.  No one knows I wear a BAHA unless I care to tell them.  This is a big thing for me, but it's not a big thing for others and as you say, with a hearing aid in your ear you can wear a bike helmet.

The new BP100 (and the Octicon Ponto) have big improvements over the older BAHA devices.  They are more programmable and work better in large rooms and noisy environments - in addition to amplifying sound in quiet settings.  I've also found that the longer I've worn my BAHA the more directionality and localization of sound I've developed.

IMO hearing aids are like AN treatment decisions - you have to do what is best and most comfortable for you.

On a financial note - most docs include post op appts from the BAHA surgery (usually 2) in the cost of the surgery; so you'd typically have no office copays.

Just my two cents.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

As Phyl noted, I do use a normal hearing aid, but I use it in the conventional manner. I did read up on the idea of using one on a deaf ear; it is meant to transmit across to the good ear through your head. Apparently it works pretty well in some people, depending on how hard headed you are or something. :)

If it makes sense in your case, I would give it a try. You really do get to return a regular hearing aid after the first month if you don't want it, I think it is a law now.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sam Rush

Will you be wearing the hearing aide in your dead ear or your good ear????    Doesn't make sense to me to wear it in your dead ear, and why would you want something in your good ear, unless the good ear is not so good ????????
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 01:13:04 pm »
I am completely deaf in my right ear and have perfect hearing in my left.  So I am totally SSD.  The way it works is both through some bone conduction and through cochlear transference or something like that.  So you wear the aid in your DEAF ear and the sound is transmitted through to your GOOD ear.  Freaky, right?  Same concept as BAHA but slightly less strong, clear and no surgery.

Okay, so here is that link  http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/pf_article_detail.asp?article_id=1629  and from that link the relevant part (and my apologies if this is again TOS, let me know if it is)

"These authors suggest placing a conventional high gain/high output air conduction hearing aid in the impaired ear to take advantage of the fact that the cochleas for each ear, which are contained within the temporal bones, are not acoustically isolated. That is, if an air conducted signal of high intensity is presented to the cochlea of an impaired ear, the signal will eventually be heard in the cochlea of the better ear because it will be intense enough to overcome the acoustic isolation (interaural attenuation [IA]) between the cochleas...
Signals picked up by the microphone of a hearing aid placed over or in the impaired ear can be amplified and eventually cross through the head and be heard by the cochlea of the normal ear via bone conduction (Miller, 1989)." (italics mine)

My thinking is... start LOW tech/LOW intervention and move up if I need it.  Because I really only need an aid sometimes.  I am thinking that I can get the custom aid done in a couple weeks, see what I think for a month and then if I don't like it, nothing lost and I can still schedule the BAHA.  But why go for surgery if the aid works fine.

It wasn't as good.  My audiologist said high pitches get dampened by the head and that it wouldn't be as quick  and as clear, but it was okay for what I want, I think.  I mean it just sounds a little quieter and a little tiny bit less sharp.

Amy

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:16:07 pm by amymeri »
Amy

Sam Rush

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:12:11 pm »
So it works as a low tech, poorly adjusted transear.  Why not go w/ a transear??  This thread is confusing.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

amymeri

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:19:43 pm »
You are confused?  I wonder why.

The transear can be difficult to adjust and the skin that is deep inside your ear is very sensitive.  The BAHA is a surgical procedure.  This might be a cheaper, easier, possibly more comfortable option to explore.

Amy

opp2

Re: Saw a terrific audiologist and he says go with normal hearing aid!! Thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:32:40 pm »
if you don't have the hearing apparatus in your deaf ear, will it work?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

amymeri

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »
The hearing aid ONLY goes in your deaf ear and then amplifies the sound into your cochlea with tranfers to your opposite, healthy ear through bone conduction.

So one regular hearing aid in your deaf ear only.  No wires, no double aids, no surgery, no fine tuning the fit.

So I think it might be worth it to try it.

Amy

amymeri

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »
I had a 4cm tumor and a retrosigmoid removal with complete removal of the auditory nerve.  I have absolutely NO hearing in my right ear.  None.  It has been tested 3 times since my surgery and I have nothing and I never will. 

The aid still works on a bone conduction principle and I tried it myself and it worked. 

I was EQUALLY shocked because I had never, ever heard that this was possible.  But it worked.  Not as well as the BAHA, but well enough to hear clearly.

I was completely floored which is why I posted.  I was curious why I had never heard about it....but then I read up and saw it IS possible. 

So, I don't know.  I am going to at least TRY it.  I will keep everyone updated.  If it works, it might be another option for surgery-phobes like myself.

Amy

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Saw a terrific audiologist and he says go with normal hearing aid!! Thoughts?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 07:04:53 am »
It seem s to make sense to me. It might not work for everyone but a regular hearing aid in your deaf ear may conduct the sound through your head to your good ear. Similar to TransEar and BAHA only using loud audio instead of bone conduction vibrations.  It seems worth a try and whatever works is good.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 07:33:49 am »
Hey!  Just made my BAHA consult appt for Nov 4 at MEEI Boston, so this is very timely.  Do us tranlabys get to do this low tech thing?  I mean, didn't they trash our cochleas when they went in through the ear to save our beautiful faces?   ;D
And by "eventually" do you mean that we get to hear the sound on the same day or a week later?
Keep us posted, please.
Thx
N
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness