Author Topic: a few questions about diagnostic tests  (Read 4142 times)

Netti

a few questions about diagnostic tests
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:47 pm »
Hi, I've had humming in my left ear  constantly and ear fullness for about 5 months----but no dizziness. I thought all this was an outcome of barotrauma, damage to ear from flying.  finally went to the ENT. Results were hearing loss, but nothing else. He recommended a ECOG test---similar to Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response. Were any of you referred to this test before the MRI. It seems from reading your posts most of you went straight to the MRI.

thanks

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: a few questions about diagnostic tests
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:45:55 pm »
Netti ~

Your doctor is attempting to determine whether your hearing loss is caused by Ménière's disease, which affects the inner ear and can definitely cause hearing loss, among other things.  I can't speak from experience but I've read that this test can be unpleasant.  Others  with some personal experience may post with more detailed information.  Most acoustic neuromas are discovered through MRI scans.  When hearing is compromised, ENT's tend to focus on the ear , not the hearing nerve.  It may surprise you to learn that some ENTs are practically clueless regarding ANs.  However, should the ECOG test fail to offer up a decisive diagnosis, I would insist on an MRI - with gadolinium contrast - to determine whether you may, indeed, be harboring an acoustic neuroma.  I hope that is not the case.  Please let us know how this all works out for you. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
Netti -

I didn't have dizziness either - lots of AN patients experience different symptoms - but I did have fullness in my ear (and diminished hearing).

My ENT did a hearing test that confirmed that I had hearing loss.  When he looked into my ear he couldn't see anything unusual, which is what prompted him to send me for an MRI.  The MRI clearly showed my tumor.  Like Jim said, many ENTs are clueless when it comes to ANs - I know mine was and immediately referred me to a neurotologist.

I never had a ECOG.  Just my opinion, but I'd ask for a MRI with gadolinium contrast before undergoing an ECOG if it's an unpleasant as Jim has heard it is.  A MRI with contrast is the only definitive way to diagnose an acoustic neuroma - or to rule one out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:37 am »
Hi Netti and welcome to the Forum!

So sorry you are having some symptoms and i hope you find the answers you need.
My sister went to an ENT with similar symptoms and then was referred directly for the MRI, which she had in a matter of weeks!
Me - i went to two different local docs over a series of 12+ years and they were clueless about my partial hearing loss, never suggested any other testing!  ???
[And i was about 40 years old at the time - they told me i was just getting 'older!' ]

I don't know anything about the ECOG test, so can't help you there. 
But i can tell you that i had to go to a major medical center, go thru a hearing test - and again, the doc said the test was inconclusive.
I ASKED him to write the script for the MRI and the rest, as they say, is history.

IMO, i would want to 'rule out' the AN and go from there, but that is just me. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you make the decisions for these tests and find out the results.
Please keep us posted as you make your way on this journey.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
My aunt had that test. She didn't have any problems with it luckily. It was determined that her hearing loss was due to an infection. The damage was done and they could not reverse it.
My ENT suspected an AN immediately and had me in for a MRI within 24 hrs. Not all ENT's are up on AN's so make sure you get an MRI if the other test is inconclusive.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:09:58 am »
Hi Netti and welcome,

Sorry to hear you are having problems, but in answer to your question, I had a hearing test and auditory brain response test prior to my MRI.  Both were abnormal and my ENT sent me for an MRI.  As you can see, the rest of my story is history.  I was very fortunate -- I had wonderful doctors and except for being SSD, great results.  Keep us posted on what your tests show.

Best of luck,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!