Author Topic: adventures in Baha surgery!!!!  (Read 4045 times)

tenai98

adventures in Baha surgery!!!!
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:37 am »
Well I'm home and it was a piece of cake...
First off, when we arrived at the hospital, we went to D1, the pre admin area....they couldnt find me listed...hmmmm...I was suppose to be in D3..ok
Then when I get there, I had to registar and I wanted my partner W to come in with me...they said no he couldnt go pass the bigdoors...ok, kissed him bye and sent him home...only to find out it was just the registration area he couldnt come in....so off to the surgical day unit...to be asked tons of questions by the nurse...she couldnt read what was written on the form, so she asked me why I was there...Told her bone anchor hearing aid....well she was amazed by this and had to go tell the other nurses....upon which one said that it is the second baha implant for that doctor....So now I start thinking hhmmmm I'm guinea pig #2....Do I run or trust my instinct in this doctor whom I've been told in the best.....
Next, they take up to OR a little early...of course I'm waiting in the hall and my ENT comes to talk to me...So I asked him how many has he done...Well he hymmms and hawwws for a bit and says around 15. So I boldly told him the nurse told me 2!!  He said yes his second Baha implant but he has done many other similiar implants...he had just finished a cochlear...He says now they are waiting to clean OR up and get me in....while waiting I see his previous patient being wheeled out...So now I"m told 20 minutes to countdown...A nurse comes to ask more questions and I ask her if they are putting a catherer(?) in and she says no...so I say I got to go potty then...so she takes me potty wayyyy down the hall....Upon our return, the other nurses were looking for me thinking I got cold feet and flew the coop....
Then because I commented how some had this surgery done local, apparently while I was flying the coop, they were discussing whether to go local or general because I had concerns about coming out of the general. So they gave me gas and a light general I guess.
Surgery went well. When I woke up I was hungry...so they gave me toast and tea and shortly after brought me my supper. Soup, pineapple and a tuna sandwhich. I 'm not one to eat bread. Maybe a slice bi weekly... But hey I was hungry....they gave me two T3 and off to sleep I went. My mother came to visit for about an hour and back to sleep I went when she left...Then I woke up hungry again and asked for toast and tea....Then my neighbor on the right starts yaking to me. and yaks and yaks and yaks...Finally after about an hour, a nurse walks by and i called out I have to go potty...Another T3 and off to sleep again... Woke up at 1am and was restless. I didnt want to take another T3 as I wasnt in any pain. I only took the previous ones cuz they put me to sleep...
And now I'm home .
Piece of cake
Jan, I will assume the parcel waiting for me at the post office is from you...Will pick up later today
[img][/img]
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

Re: adventures in Baha surgery!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:01:04 am »
Glad everything went OK - I knew it would! 

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:50 am »
congrads   ;D hope you have a great healing process.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:51 am »
Way 2 go JO!
Now your Dr. can say he's done 3!

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:05:44 pm »
wow! Jo, wellness wishes and hugglez!!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks for the update. Get some rest! :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
Hey, Jo!  Nice update - glad to hear things went well, you guinea pig, you!  Now you can relax and enjoy your wait for the time when you can put on the processor (is that the right terminology?). 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:22 pm »
Hi, Jo ~

We appreciate the update and your lively account of your BAHA implant surgery.  Now that you're home I trust you'll heal up quickly as you begin the 'countdown' for your processor installation. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

juliec

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:58:39 pm »
Enjoyed your account of the surgery! I'm considering the Baha implant as well, so it was good information for me. I hope you feel good and love the implant!
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
Glad everything went well.  I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences with the BAHA.  Rest well!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 07:48:13 am »
Jo -

hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.  The surgery IS a piece of cake - and I'm thrilled that was your experience, too!

I hope the package is from me (and Lori) - nice things are inside  ;D  Enjoy!!!

Julie C -

the BAHA is great; I'm a huge fan of mine.  If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask  - either on the Forum or through a PM.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways