Author Topic: Tears When I Exercise?  (Read 6077 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Tears When I Exercise?
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:58:15 pm »
I am approaching 18 months post op, and no sign of tears - unless I exercise very rigorously.  Here's what happens -  After I've had my heart rate up for 10-15 minutes (fast enough that I am breathing hard and would not be able to talk easily) my right (AN side) nostril starts to run like a faucet and my right eye pushes out what I think are 3 or 4 tears.  It is very strange and I am wondering if any of fellow facial-issue friends have experienced anything like this?

Oh, and I have a punctal plug in my lower lid tear duct, but NOT the upper.  I am wondering if this is all sinus related in some way - based on how much that one side of my nose runs. 

Okay, comments?

Debbi, pant, pant...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Cheryl R

Re: Tears When I Exercise?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
Hi Debbi.      It's AN related and nerve related.      It  is funny how the eye does tear when certain activities are done.     I have both sides do this at various times.   My left does when I eat and the right does when get too warm at times.     Same with the nose.    Only the left when I eat, the right is with activty and get warm.                   I may do less the times I take my anti spasmodic drugs for my GI system so varies and did less than usual at the symposium due to taking the pill which is ususally only once a day.   That was more eating related.                     So walking down Michigan avenue was such fun as got warm and then the nose run.                        I have rosecea now and that acts up when warm too.                          I just say which annoyance of the day is going to be worse!                I have heard this talked about at other symposiums and one gal said she only had problems when she played golf.           Time will tell if this improves.                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
Hi Debbie:  That happens to me ALOT !  Even when doing laundry, especially when I'm overheated.  My AN eye tears & tears, & my AN side sinus runs & runs.  I've learned to have a tissue handy wherever I go !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  Cheryl:  I have Rosacea also - I use Metronidazole (flagyl cream !) daily topical in the am - Rx by my dermatologist as preventive, & get a Rosacea facial monthly - I use Pevonia products for Rosecea (rhey're expensive but last for months).  I was told heat, alcohol are bad for it (you probably know this).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:12:10 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »
Thanks Cheryl and Nancy-

Good to know that I am not just weird.  It struck me as odd since I get zero moisture in that eye normally, and always use drops/gel all day and at night.  Maybe the key is to just keep my heart rate up at all times!   ;D  I haven't gotten more than 4 tears yet, so I don't think this is the signs of anything happening - probably just the nerve being confused.  Ah, what the heck, crying is over rated anyway...

Debbi, off for a power walk and a couple of tears
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:10 pm »
Hi Debbie,

It's good to hear that someone else has this happening.  When I run my eye tears too.  It works really well when my eye gets a bit red.  I run and it gets better because  it does appear to make some tears.  I also notice that I get congested and my nose runs which can sometimes be embarrassing becuase I can't feel it either.  lol
 When you figure out how to exercise constantly let me know how you do it.   The longest I've run is 2 1/2 hours. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:15:09 pm »
You're like the bionic woman Jean - I can't believe you can run for 2 1/2 hours !  Maybe I need to see if I can swim for 2 1/2 hours (I presently swim 1/2 hour at a time).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:54:15 pm »
Debbi~
My nose runs something awful - i have to get an extra towel at the gym (I think that is SOOO gross but it's either that or carry a box or Kleenex & trash can around!).  I don't "think" my eye tears because it doesn't affect my vision but even if it did, I would just think it was sweat running down my face...hate to say but I am a big 'ole sweater (I do think I work out pretty hard - I did 707 calories in 40 minutes Tuesday!!).  Funny thing is, my nose hardly EVER runs when I do YOGA - even if it is Vinyasa, the more intense YOGA - I just now realized that!!

K  *still sore from doing 2 back to back YOGA classes Wednesday! - what was I thinking?*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joe B

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:20:09 am »
Debbi

I also still have a dry eye.  Although there are many things that trigger tears/moisture during my daily activities such as, eating, running/excersizing, any type of manual labor/working outdoors, and playing poker (nerves, I guess?). If, I do any of these things for any length of time, I can go without the eye drops, and at times I have to close my eye tight and tilt my head to the side to let a tear run out, so I am not clouded up.

Ever since the surgery, while running, the nostril on my AN side needs to be cleared (via "Snot Rocket", sorry, that's my sons term for it), about every 4 or 5 minutes. Since I haven't been sick since my surgery, I was also wondering what causes this?? ???

Joe B
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:31:58 am »
Ok- what happens the AN side eye when you chop an onion?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Joe B

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 03:16:43 pm »
DHM

It's funny you asked that question. I just finished cutting a large red onion about 20 minutes ago (first one that I have cut in about 4 or 5 weeks).  My left eye (AN side) burned like heck, but I got nothing, go figure.

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
my AN side eye don't tear all the time, but sometimes when i eat, it will tear like a river - especially when i am munching really hard.  our bodies are so strange  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 03:26:05 pm »
Funny thing about the onions, they just don't do a thing for my AN side eye - the other eye gushes, but the AN side appears to be impervious to everything except accelerated heart rate.  And, Jeanlea - you are AMAZING!  I am in awe of anyone who can run an hour, much less 2 1/2 - you're an animal (and I mean that in the best way!)

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »
Yep it happens to me too! It also happens if I am very warm - when my core reaches a certain temperature.
Looks like I am sick - eye running - nose running - sucks!! ::)
Interesting thread to follow, does this ever improve anyone?
MIchelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.