Author Topic: Eye 'boogers'  (Read 5135 times)

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Eye 'boogers'
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:23 pm »
Hey, I'm about 10 weeks post-op, and have a question about my uncooperative eye. I had complete paralysis at first, but movement is coming back(yay!), yet my eye doesn't quite completely close. I have these eye boogers that are really irritate my eye. It happens about twice a day, that they/it will stick to my eyeball, and I will use a kleenex to unattach(Gross, I know) them from my eye. I thought it might be the AkwaTears gel hardening, but I recently stopped using that, and now just use Refresh eyedrops as needed. Do other people have this issue? Is it something my eye is producing, or is it the drops that create a thicker substance? Just kind of wondering if I'm the only one...I am pretty special, I know  ;) Also, I don't remember this issue the first month, it seems like it's just been the past month. There is soooo many side-effects of this surgery for me, it's crazy...but over all I'm doing well. I'm going to try out tennis tomorrow for the first time! I might start off wearing a bike helmet  ;D
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Eye 'boogers'
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »
Hi Darin:  I think it's probably the drops/ointment 'after effects' causing the 'boogers'.  I get this several times a day b/c I use lubricant - it's like strands of 'old' ointment coming off my eye.  I remove it with a cutip with lubricant on it,  then I have to add 'new' lubricant to keep my cornea lubricated.
Does that make sense to you ?  It does to me !
Always good thoughts, Nancy
ps:  best wishes on the tennis - My motto is 'try it all '   - I'm personally into Yoga lately !
10 weeks post op & already trying out tennis -  you are doing GREAT - I was still so loopy at 10 weeks - way to go Darin ! !
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:39:06 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:25 pm »
I get them too - instead of "boogers" I call them "floaties" since they are IN my eye (I call "sleepy," "eye boogers" sometimes)...PLEASE don't use a tissue unless your Dr. told you to - I am SO paranoid about scratches.  I just wash my hands good & then GENTLY use the tip of my finger...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:42 am »
I get that too - I just call it "eye goop".  I don't use drops during the day, so I guess it's not from that.  My eye guy (oculoplastic surgeon - now you know why I just call him "eye guy") said it's just some of the mucous layer of tears.  There are 3 components to tears that actually work, and I guess I don't make all 3.  Like Nancy, I feel like I'm pulling stringy things off my eye.

It seems to be worst in the morning, but I use gel at night, so I'm sure that doesn't help and then again in the late afternoon.  I actually refer to it as my 4pm eye goop removal, because it seems to happen every day around that time.  I carry a little bottle of eye wash in case I can't get it with my finger. (yes, Kay, I wash my hands first  :P).

Good luck with the tennis!  If it makes you feel any better, I'd need the bike helmet for tennis even if I hadn't had brain surgery!  Or maybe the person I was playing against should have the helmet.... ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 12:38:44 pm »
K, you are right about not using a kleenex, I didn't really think about it being not too smart. If the substance is on my Iris or Pupil, I always squish around my eyelids, to try and get the goop to be on the white part of the eye(what's the term for that? I forget...). It's a little easier that way. Thanks for the tips though...Sometimes it's just nice to know I'm not the only person that has a certain issue. Misery loves company, I believe is how the saying goes ;)
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »
Darin~

I actually had to have my whole eye sewn shut for 3 months because I had such severe scratches so I am a little paranoid now - don't kid yourself, I still don't take all the precautions I should!!

K *your booger buddy!*  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »
I think the term you are looking for is "sclera," Darin.

Any time I get goo in my eye I use a little vial of sterilized saline to flush it out. There is next to no risk of causing damage that way.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Alice Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 02:38:29 am »
Yep, eye boogers are part of the prize. As stated the mucous is one part of the three layers of tears. If the facial nerve is not allowing your eye to close completely, it is drying out and causing irritation. When you eye gets irritated it creates tears to wash it out. Because of the facial nerve's affect on the lacrimal gland, you don't usually get the real liquid part of the tears, so the mucous still develops, as does the oily part. With no blink reflex and no water, they can't blend and distribute over the surface of the eye the way they used to -- the way the other eye automatically does.

So you'll end up with the mucous clumping and sticking to your eye (because the oil glands still work, too). I frequently don't notice when my eye starts to dry out, so if I see a bit of mucous it acts as my Early Warning System to take care of the eye NOW.

Keep in mind that you could also be having a reaction to your eye drops -- and yes some gels especially can goop/stick up (but not mucous) your eyelashes. Sometimes it has to do with the viscocity of the drops and sometimes you may have an allergy to one of the preservatives. I was told that if you are using drops more than 4 times a day to switch to a drop without preservatives.

I have a hard time keeping my fingers off of it. Usually I'll fill a sandwich size ziplock bag with hot tapwater and let that sit on my eye about 5-10 minutes, then can use a wet, lint-free cloth over my closed eye and it comes free. I frequently use the warm ziplock bag on my eye when I first wake up -- takes care of any flaking & goop and also allows me to move slowly into my morning.
The ziplock is also great filled with cold tapwater as well if you have any swelling or conjunctivitis.

Hope this helps. Claudia (a.k.a."Alice Rapunzel"}
Claudia - aka Alice Rapunzel for "wonky head" & spatial "Alice Through the Looking Glass" cognitive issues + preference for cool, dark and quiet rooms (variation on Rapunzel's Tower)
Facial Paralysis since age 2 
Facial Nerve Neurofibroma resection -brainstem/IAC/middle ear  w/auricular graft 2007