Author Topic: Can prolonged noise exposure cause AN  (Read 4442 times)

GaryK

Can prolonged noise exposure cause AN
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:57:23 am »
I was diagnosed with a AN in my left ear. I am in the Air National Guard and failed my annual hearing test, which resulted in many follow up doctor visits and finally an MRI which confirmed the tumor. I was reading somewhere that long term noise exposure was possibly linked to AN. I have worked around airplanes for 30 years now and am wondering if that is a possibility. Does anyone have any supporting facts on this?

tenai98

Re: Can prolonged noise exposure cause AN
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:09:43 am »
I never was exposed to loud noises...no ipod, no earphones, quiet environments.....no lound noises, not even in my teen yrs...so I dont think loud noises is a cause....if I"m wrong, someone please chime in.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

epodjn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:45:11 am »
I asked my ENT and he said noise is not a cause. I had never been exposed to much noise until the last few years but he said that had no affect. If it did there would be a lot more of these tumors.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

GaryK

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:22:49 am »
I was reading an article that the Acoustic Neuroma Association (this site) wrote about some suggestion that  studies have hinted at exposure to loud noise on a consistent basis could possibly cause AN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:01 am »
Hi, Gary - and welcome.  I'm not happy to see another person receive an AN diagnosis but at least you've discovered a site and message boards that can help you through your 'AN experience'.

There are numerous theories floating around that attempt to pinpoint at least one distinct cause of an acoustic neuroma development.  The 'cell phone' theory is very popular - except that ANs were found 100 years ago during autopsies and when surgical med students used unclaimed cadavers to practice on, making the 'cellphone theory' difficult to take seriously, although some folks are absolutely convinced that it is a direct cause of AN development as well as brain cancer and, since teenagers seem to live their lives with a cell phone next to their ear, probably, acne. 

I'm certainly not a scientist or a physician but I 'm highly skeptical that AN growth has much of anything to do with noise or that the benign tumors are precipitated by things going into your ear.  These tumors begin with the sheath that covers the 'hearing nerve' and are not directly exposed to the environment, although they are exposed to sound, which they transmit to the brain.  Frankly, I don't have a huge interest in the cause of ANs and if we can't find the cause for most cancers, I doubt we'll find the true cause of AN development.  Still, I hope we do, although I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.  I see nothing wrong with speculation but I'm not all that interested in engaging in it when discussing ANs.  Others may not be so reticent.   

Since learning the exact cause of why ANs develop is beyond our grasp today, I would suggest that for now, you consider focusing on how you'll address your AN.  That should take up most of your time for awhile.   The ANA, this website and, especially, our members, all stand ready to assist you with information and support.  I'm sure some of our members - who may have strong opinions on the issue - will  be more than willing to speculate on the cause of acoustic neuroma development, if you wish.   I'll pass on that - but once again, welcome you to the forums and I wish you all success as you move forward with your AN treatment.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 01:06:10 pm »
Welcome,

As Jim has stated there are many theories as to how they develope.  I will just throw this in, I was even told by one doctor that some people are born with them and they just sit there for many years.

TJ

GaryK

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses on the first day!

I had a one time Sterotactic treatment done at Emory Hospital in Atlanta on 27 August. I go back 8 Oct for a followup MRI to find out the results. I was pretty much wondering about the cause of AN because I am in the  Air National Guard and needed the info for  VA disability and retirement claims.

As far as my having the treatment I can tell you so far the only difference I have noted is my Tinnitus seems to be more prevalent but my hearing loss has NOT been any worse. I am under the assumption I will do MRI's every 6 months for I think the doctor  said 2 years then move to one MRI annually?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »
Gary ~

Thanks for clearing up the fact that you've already had radiation treatment for your AN.  Like you, I hope it's successful.  The odds that it will be are definitely in your favor. 

I can't tell you whether your long exposure to noise can be used as a basis for a service-related disability claim.  I have my doubts - but it's certainly worth a try.  If you have most of your hearing in the AN-affected ear that is a positive as it relates to your quality of life but it also might preclude you from claiming a disability.  However, I'm not an attorney and I don't pretend to be an expert on service-connected disability claims so my opinions are worth about what you've paid for them.     

I assume that every doctor has his (or her) own MRI schedule for their AN patients.  I had semi-annual MRI's for two years, post surgery/radiation and then went to an annual basis. Eventually, I assume my doctor will be satisfied with bi-annual or even longer stretches between MRI scans.  However, I fully expect to be having an MRI - on whatever timetable my doctor chooses - for the foreseeable future.  Considering the risk of not having at least a bi-annual MRI, I'm good with that.  Fortunately, I'm not claustrophobic.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:09 pm »
I am under the assumption I will do MRI's every 6 months for I think the doctor  said 2 years then move to one MRI annually?

It all depends on the doc - most of them have their own "rules" for MRIs post treatment (radiation or surgery).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:41 pm »
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum. My sugeon said to me that there is no known cause to date for the development of an AN. As far as insurance goes, I work with disability claims and from my experience, if you have been compromised from performing the duties of your occupation effectively due to a medical condition, there is no reason why you wouldn't be covered under an insurance plan, unless your Employer is willing to provide an alternate occupation within your restrictions. However, just to note a disability plan through work like a group plan is different than a retirement plan.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.