Author Topic: 5 years later, progressive hearing loss and some disappointment  (Read 6666 times)

sreda

5 years later, progressive hearing loss and some disappointment
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:45:35 am »
I had a pretty smallish AN removed via middle fossa surgery about 5 years ago. Overall I consider myself a very fortunate person: the balance issues are gone; no facial impact at all; good health overall; and insurance took care of 95% of the surgery cost. So I am grateful overall, and would do it again. But...my hearing in the affected ear, especially for speech discrimination, has declined. I figure that I have about half (or less) of my former hearing level in that ear, and I really struggle with speech discrimation in groups or crowds. I don't even want another hearing test at this time to tell me how bad it has gotten! It is probably time for a hearing aid in that ear, but I have not done that. I feel some personal loss now, and miss being able to hear bird calls and running water as well as before. The surgeon explained to me two years ago that residual scar tissue on/around the nerves may be causing the hearing loss, and they are not sure why that happens, but it does... "occasionally."
So I am not complaining but feel some loss of self as my hearing "goes bad." And that may have happened anyway if I had not had the tumor removed, and it grew.
Anyone else feel similarly?
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 5 years later, progressive hearing loss and some disappointment
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:53:16 am »
Sreda -

I became SSD through my AN surgery (retrosigmoid) and felt like I lost a good part of myself.  I was 45 1/2 at the time. 

I had a BAHA implant nine months post AN surgery and it has helped me immensely - emotionally as well as with my hearing.  The day I was able to attach my Divino (tiny hearing aid) I spent over an hour sitting in an outside grotto near the hospital just listening to the birds, the planes flying overhead, and the water tricking down a little waterfall.  I was in heaven  ;D

The BAHA is not for everyone, but IMO it is a great tool for those of us who are SSD (or close to being SSD).  The TransEar is also a wonderful option from what I've heard from others who have one.

You should look into some type of hearing aid.  It won't give you back normal hearing, but it will go a long way towards bringing you back your quality of life.

Best,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sreda

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:57:46 am »
Yes, I think you are right; and the way you put it is a healthier way to look at it: not something i "have" to do, but something that will return more sensory pleasure: waterfall, music, bird sounds. Thank you for your input. 
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:06:37 pm »
Sreda ~

I can empathize with your sense of loss.  As my AN grew (unbeknown to me) I slowly lost my hearing in the AN-affected ear over a long period of time and have been SSD for over 5 years, now.  My AN removal surgery didn't damage the hearing nerve but it had already been severely compromised and I assume that its never going to regain function.  I accepted that a long time ago.  Of course it's a loss but I chose to accept it and move on with my life.  I do quite well with my SSD but it remains a handicap.  Frankly, I would be thrilled to have even 20% of my hearing back in the non-functioning ear.   

The BAHA units are generally praised by all who have one but they're made for those who have zero hearing in one ear.  If you have even minimal hearing, an audiologist will probably recommend a 'regular' hearing aid.  Some of our members have these and they seem to be satisfactory.  Health insurance doesn't usually cover 'regular' hearing aids, but that's another issue. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sreda

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:23:23 pm »
My ins. would not cover it either, but where there's a will there is a way. I just haven't wanted it enough yet, When it's time, I'll make some other sacrifices and find the cash even if it takes awhile. I appreciate the two of you sharing your replies - while significant loss of hearing over time is not visible to others, it feels like losing a part of oneself that really "should" be there.
Sis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 05:31:21 pm »
The BAHA units are generally praised by all who have one but they're made for those who have zero hearing in one ear.

Jim -

this is not true.  I thought you had to be 100% deaf in your "bad" ear for a BAHA, but after hearing my neurotologist (who performed both my AN and BAHA surgeries) speak at the ANA Symposium last month, I found out that I've been wrong for the past 2 years  :o  In his speech my doc said that patients who are profoundly deaf, but not necessarily 100% deaf, in one ear are candidates for the BAHA.  I made sure I asked him about this after his speech, since I was confused, and he confirmed that I had heard him correctly.

So, those who are almost 100% deaf on one side may be BAHA candidates.

Sreda -

if you want to know more about the BAHA, check out Cochlear's website www.cochlearamericas.com   There is a section that will direct you to doctors in your area who do the surgery.  Also, if you do decide to request insurance coverage and are turned down, please PM me.  I have a contact @ Cochlear that may be able to help you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sreda

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »
This is good info., Jan. I will check it out.
Thank you!
Sis

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:04:29 pm »
Sreda,

Sorry to read about your hearing deterioration but have you had another MRI just to check out whats happenning in there? Maybe useful

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

sreda

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:19 am »
yes, i had one about a year ago. no evidence of regrowth.
but good to be aware, good reminder.
Sis