Author Topic: Feeling down (damaged facial nerve)  (Read 11662 times)

Jaki

Feeling down (damaged facial nerve)
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:22 am »
Hi everyone,

Just got back from the doctor who made my facial nerve research and he says it does not look promising at all. In one year almost no recovery. Probably the nerve didn't find anywhere to attach and regenerate. Says it might stay like it is and I should start considering other options (face lift, eye weight, perhaps something else?) After all this time hoping, exercising, massaging, taking vitamins, eye drops etc. it makes me feel rather depressed. Sorry, just had to tell someone.

J

moe

Re: Feeling down (damaged facial nerve)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:13:19 am »
Hi J,
I can totally empathize with you and feel for you.
I'm in the same sort of situation. Not much nerve regeneration after one year after the original brain surgery.

SO I had the nerve transposition, called the 12/7 nerve transposition, 18 months ago. This is another option, though it is another long waiting game as compared to a face lift which will not give movement but will give symmetry.

Lori on the forum had better results with her 12/7 than I did.They take part of the hypoglossal nerve (the 12th cranial nerve) and attach to the face nerve- incision is under the jaw. My surgery was 6 hours long. I have partial results- more facial movement, my blink reflex is a wee bit better, but still can't blink .

You still have to wait for the nerve to regenerate. I've noticed more tone in the cheek, upper jaw, and chin area, but the upper lip and lower cheek are still pretty dead. I'm starting acupuncture in 2 weeks to see if that will help move things along. My surgeon is not ready to refer me to another surgeon- can't quite claim defeat yet :( He saw some movement in my upper lip at my last follow up, when I closed my eyes. Also known as synkenesis. He was sooo excited. I thought"You've GOT to be kidding!)

It is a very frustrating long road. Every time I would go to the doc, and they would say something to the effect of "Oh I don't see as much improvement as I was hoping!" I just about start bawling right there.  (I hold it in until I get home :'( )

I'm 3 years post surgery and will not give up! The hard part for me is eating/talking since the left upper lip/mouth won't budge.

Hang in there-maybe time to start looking at options. The 12/7 nerve transposition would seem like the next likely step. Do they do that surgery there?

Let us know how things go.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:21:53 pm »
Hi J:  like Maureen said,  don't give up - people see nerve recovery after 3 years !
Since my facial nerve was cut,  I opted for the T3 (you can see my before/after pictures at Facial Issues:  Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer) - this surgery is when there is no hope of nerve regeneration & can be done at anytime, 3, 5, 10, 20 years out.
So try to be patient;  almost no recovery is more than I had.
I'm so grateful for surgeries available IF there is no improvement down the line (nerve grafts, T3...).

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:31:19 pm »
(you can see my before/after pictures at Facial Issues:  Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer)

Jaki

Here is the link to Nancy's pictures (noted on page 6 of this thread:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5544.75

Please hang in there.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:36:07 pm »
& page 2 shows the before & after (at 7 weeks post op).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jaki

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:17:33 am »
Thank you for the replies. The news really took me by surprise because everyone was telling me how the nerve was probably not damaged and it was just a matter of time. And yesterday I got a different information for the first time. However I overslept it and I guess I am ready to inform myself about other options. I don't know if they do the 12/7 operation here, I will try to find out. I will probably wait for at least another year and do something about the eye first.

Thank you for directing me to the photos, the change is really great.
I was wondering - did anyone here have a recovery in time with a completely damaged or cut nerve? Perhaps I should ask that in another topic but just curious.

J

moe

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:26:49 pm »
My nerve WAS cut during the original surgery. They connected the nerve back during the original surgery with little to no result.
So Yes I'm one of those! Still waiting on the 12/7 verdict to come through......
Definitely take care of that eye first. You want to protect the cornea. Do you use eye ointment?
I use it 24/7 with taping of the eye shut with a thin strip of paper tape at night.
So far, so good ;)
We're here for you JAKI!
<Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »
Jaki, you may have already come across Jeanlea's facial progress thread, but in case you have not, here is the link:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7247.0

Scroll about halfway down the first page to see pictures of her progress. Her progress was slow in starting, but has been amazing over time.

If you have seen any movement at all, you may see more. For example, does your nose wrinkle? That's where I saw my first very tiny movement. Second was an equally tiny lift at the corner of my mouth when I smiled.

I think you are right to begin looking into your options, but I'm hoping for the return of more movement for you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:57:17 am »
Hi J:  like Maureen said,  don't give up - people see nerve recovery after 3 years !

Nancy is absolutely right - so don't lose hope.

Hang in there, J.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:19 am »
Hi Jaki.

I had a similar situation - we thought my facial nerve would heal and start working on it's own after my AN surgery, but at 18 months post op - no such luck.  I had the 7/12 and have had good results.  Certainly not perfect, but better than before anyway, and I haven't hit one year yet, so I believe I'll keep getting more movement back.

It is frustrating and can get you feeling down - but know that there are procedures out there that can help.  Don't give up hope!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jaki

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 02:38:48 pm »
Thank you, Beautiful people.

Sara, I had only a small movement in my nostril. And the swelling was gone after a few months so I looked better. Apart from that no movement noticed. And I can move my eyelid a bit more downward than before. So that is also something, right? I don't see why the doctor was not enthusiastic at all. But I still have to have MRI and talk with the surgeon. If my nerve needs time ... well time is something I've got, after all. Let's hope for the best.

Jaki

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »
Big Cyber Hug! I am just popping in will write more later.
Michelle ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:54 am »
Hi Jaki~
IMO, I think that if you have had ANY movement, that is promising for "something" to happen down the line.  I am not a Dr. but I have dealt with this for a LONG time and since I have been active on this site, I have kind of looked at everyone's situations and formed my own opinion.  I, personally, think that the ones of us that have ABSOLUTELY NO MOVEMENT at all after surgery are the ones that are going to need to pursue other major options (like the 12/7 or T3 - I've had both).  It seems that the people that have some movement will regain more as time goes on...will it be as great as it was pre-surgery?  Maybe not, but still can happen.  I would be more than happy to speak with you if you want to PM me your phone number or give me a call!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »
In one year almost no recovery.

BIG HUG!

Ok I am reading that the nerve is not 100% dead here ... and I take "almost" is that something IS actually firing.

2 1/2 years out here... I have some brow movement I did not have 8 days ago...  :o Yes this takes place at a snail's pace and something in the facial nerve can still actually fire this far out  ;)- apparently...  :-\ (I had given up on my brow ever moving again and thought it would sag forever... and was examining surgery options just this month. I guess I will wait to see what is firing come year 3 post-op anniversary... before I look at “the brow lift”)

Have you thought of seeing a neuromuscular facial retraining therapist to see what they have to say about this... and if they share the same opinion as your surgeon- or not?

You have every right to be disappointed after 1 year but I am asking you not to give up hope by stopping at just one medical professional's opinion. Please know that I was still having to occasional stick on my eye weight at year #1 … and then at year #2 I did NOT need it.

There will be an odd day of exhaustion and sleep deprivation that I have to stick on the eye-weight ... but it seems the majority of the time I do not need the eye-weight or drops now. I could not say that at the year #1 post op benchmark.

Know that I was told that where I was at  month six, in post op facial recovery, was basically going to be the extent of the movement regained ... Guess what- they were wrong!!!  ;D More movement did return ... but some of it just weird movements that needed help.

I hope your surgeon is actually wrong here... because I have personally witnessed some people get movement after year #1. Every patient recovers at a different pace.

Did you surgeon even discus nerve grafts or jump options?

Another cyber HUG.
DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jaki

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 07:50:30 am »
Hi everyone,

Updating. DHM I am glad for your brow movement! This is great - time does heal.
I did see a facial therapist for some time until I learned the exercises. As for options - yesterday I saw a neurologist, he was wery kind but seemed to share the opinion of my previous doctor. I will see an oculoplastic and talk to him about what he can do about the eye.

Thanks to you all, who keep me in good thoughts,

Jaki