Author Topic: BAHA questions  (Read 3195 times)

JMocek16

BAHA questions
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:36 pm »
Hi everyone I am new here but have worn a transear for almost two years.   I had the old model then was upgraded to the newest model after having alot of trouble with it.  I am still having alot of trouble with the new one.  I can bet that it will have to be sent in for repair every three months.  I have not had it longer than I have had it.  When it works I have found it to be very beneficial.  I am just very frustrated with the lack of reliablility of the device.  I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this same issue with the transear.  I am very careful with it and place it in the dryer every night.  I am looking forward to hearing from someone. >:(.
Thanks,
Jerry
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:18:03 pm by JMocek16 »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
BAHA questions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
Jerry -

I have a BAHA (Divino) but interesting enough I was just discussing the TransEar with my neurotologist at the ANA Symposium.  Although I love my BAHA and wouldn't trade it for the world, I've had lots of people ask me about the TransEar.

Truth be told, I have heard negative things about it - mostly the wiring and the need for frequent repairs.  However, when I asked my doc about his experience with it, he told me that the older models were initially a problem, but that the newer models (within the past 2 years) have gotten much better.  He reported that most of his patients who wear a TransEar have very few problems with it these days. 

Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer about the possibilty of a giving you a new TransEar - maybe you got a "bum" one.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

BAHA questions
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:34:48 am »
Jerry,

I've had the TransEar for about 2 1/2 years now.  I started with the older model. With that model I had a couple of broken wires and a couple of problems with the transducer.  The last time I sent it in I upgraded to the newest model.  It has been so much better for me.  There have been no problems at all.  I keep the volume at about 3 1/2 with no problems and the voice recognition is better.  Perhaps Jan is right and you have a bum unit.  You could check into that.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

JMocek16

BAHA questions
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:11:39 am »
Thank you Jean and Jan for your reply.  I really appreciate it.  I have had the whole thing replaced.  With the old model the wire was an issue, then the transducer broke at least twice.  It got the echo sound in it.  Then someting happened to the sound processor, then the transducer again.  They upgraded me to the new model and I think I have had that less than a year and again wire issues, last time it just stopped working, then when I got it back the ear mold was messed up. Now this time all of a sudden one day I just could not hear out of it.  I turned up the volume all the way and it was not loud enough to be effective.  I am very seriously considering the BAHA because I am tired of not being able to hear.  I would like your opinions please on switching from the transear to the BAHA.  There are some other things you should know that I need info on.  I am follically challenged so I shave my head.  Plus I do not like the grey hair.  Anyway for those of us who are bald, does the BAHA stick out like a Frankenstein thing and would it be difficult to shave around the abutment.  I am in no way vain.  I am to old for that anymore.  I just did not want to scare anyone and I want to be as practical as possible.  I also would like to know if it is worth the money and time.  I had the Phonak FM system, now the transear, now ready to say forget it and just keep saying HUH and WHAT to the frustration of my family.  It is a good excuse though when you purposely do not want to hear what someone has to say.  LOL  Again thanks for your help and advice.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
BAHA questions
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:15:44 am »
Jerry -

Send a PM to Trackman (aka Mitch) - he has a BAHA and from what he's told me, the same hair "issues" as you.  He hasn't been around the Forum lately, but I'm sure he'd share his experience with you if you contact him.

Also, I know of two forumites who have made the switch from the TransEar to the BAHA - there may be more.  One is gramps and the other is Mike Corso (mikjul1). 

Here is gramps' post http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5686.msg52007#msg52007

Mike has been SSD since he was 7 (he's not an AN patient) - I think he's 39 now - and has used a lot of different hearing aids including the TransEar.  He now wears a BAHA and is thrilled with it.  His 15 year old son, who is SSD also, recently had the surgery and is awaiting his processor.

Jan   
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
BAHA questions
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:00:03 pm »
Hi Jerry, I had the transear and hated it it squealed all the time and not comfortable in ear to deep for the sound it gave me like being underwater. I gave it back in a month I tried the Baha and wow no comparison.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

JMocek16

Re: BAHA questions
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:33 pm »
Thanks for the information everyone.  I am having the transear repaired again and will see how long it lasts this time.  I will use the informiaton you have provided to give the BAHA further consideration. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA questions
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:59:21 am »
Sounds like a great plan, Jerry.

Hope everything goes well with the TransEar repair.

Please keep us updated.

Jan